11 Feb, 2017, laowai wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 1
Hey guys,

Not 100% sure if this is the section for a post like this, sorry if it isn't!

I posted it on the Reddit /r/MUD sub and thought I should extend an invitation here as well. After realizing that the MUD IRC channels are mostly dead and there are not a lot of places for real time chatting, I thought I'd throw up a Discord server for those interested. Maybe we can get some discussions going, raid some unknown MUD's, etc.

Feel free to drop in and say hello, there are a few of us already.

Here's a link to join: https://discord.gg/qz4UM7q

Thanks!
01 Mar, 2017, SlySven wrote in the 2nd comment:
Votes: 0
Humm, how would Discord fit into the world of MUDs? One or two of the people concerned with Mudlet the client are pondering whether it is something we should look at but is it something that a MUD server "hosts" for it's players to "chat" on (with MUD sysop control), or is it something that runs on the Discord "servers" with access to it (or perhaps a MUD specific "official" channels) determined by whatever means there is…

Is it something that a MUD client ought to "have" or is the MUD Server model not the sort of "Games" that it is targeting?
31 Jul, 2017, laowai wrote in the 3rd comment:
Friendly bump for publicity. The server has grown to be pretty large but we're always looking for new people!
10 Aug, 2017, quixadhal wrote in the 4th comment:
Interesting. Probably not a bad idea. :)

Discord is a voice chat system where anyone can set up their own server/channel and can make such things public or by invite only. It has dedicated clients as well as a web based one. I don't know if it's fully open source, but there is an API for it on github, so it seems reasonable that you could integrate it into your MUD if you're up for adding code to your driver.

https://github.com/hammerandchisel

I don't really do voice chat much, unless people force it on me for dungeons and raids *grin*… but I know many people love voice chat, so it seems like a good thing.

Just for the heck of it, I created a discord channel on the I3 intermud network. It would be a fun little project for someone to integrate discord support into the MUD and then send the text message portion of messages originating on their own MUD to the I3 channel as well.
15 Aug, 2017, laowai wrote in the 5th comment:
That's pretty cool, I'd love to see some MUDs implement Discord chatting right in to the game.

Voice chatting definitely isn't for everyone which is why people generally don't do it at least on the MUD Discord server. It's mostly just a place for real time chatting since the IRC channels for #MUD are pretty much completely dead. We've picked up traction and grown to over 200 members on the server now, it's crazy.
0.0/5