31 May, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I'd like to propose the following: as politeness to other IMC users, if you know that you are going to be rebooting your MUD often in a short period of time, please do not log in to IMC (or do not have your characters listen to channels). It generates one notification per channel and can quickly fill up a whole screen with channel-join notifications. Having the notification is a useful feature. This is similar to IRC etiquette: it's not really "polite" to join and leave the channel over and over again.
31 May, 2008, Kline wrote in the 2nd comment:
As I'm not positive I'm doing this: does it generate spam on copyover/hotboots? Or does the IMC link stay alive enough during that (and only drop on cold reboots)? If so, I do apologize for the undue spam coming from myself then, and will disconnect in the future.
31 May, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 3rd comment:
Thanks for checking. :smile: Every time a character listens to an IMC channel, you get messages like:

(channel) User@Mud has joined the channel.

per channel listened to. I'm guessing that the copyover implementation closes and reestablishes the connection. I'm not sure if it has to be that way, but that seems to be how it is implemented currently. :smile:
01 Jun, 2008, Guest wrote in the 4th comment:
It should be noted that the notifications are only sent by people who have the imcnotify feature turned on, and only received by those who have it turned on as well. I would propose that if you know you'll be rebooting a lot, turn the notifications off until you're done. Or, just as easily, if the spam of seeing them gets too annoying, turn them off. :)

It's not a feature I particularly like having in the code and regret having ever included it for someone who isn't even using the protocol now anyway.
01 Jun, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 5th comment:
Who used it that it got included for?
01 Jun, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 6th comment:
It's a useful feature; I like it. I'm not sure why it is a problematic feature. I'd be against taking it out unless there was a more pressing reason to do so. I just think it's a little annoying to get screen after screen of notifications. I think that having the people not responsible for it shouldn't be asked to change; that's kind of like saying that the person with the obnoxious boombox shouldn't turn down the volume, but the people minding their own business should put in earplugs even though they want to hear their own music…

Anyhow, if turning off notifications from the sender works too, then that is better than turning off IMC entirely.
01 Jun, 2008, Guest wrote in the 7th comment:
It's a problematic feature partly for what you just complained about, and partly because it fills the network with needless spam. The join notifications are just noise. They never have served any real purpose as far as I'm concered.

@Kayle, it was originally added for Locke of all people. Yeah, I know. Why do anything for that bastard. But he wanted it, and was quite adamant about it even going so far as to say he was going to include IMC2 in his codebase. This was all before I knew about who and what he was or I never would have agreed to it. At the time IMC2 needed more base adoption to spread. But as usual making deals with the devil backfired. He dropped support for it and everyone on the network went gaga over having it so I couldn't just remove it again without pissing everyone else off even though they never had it before then anyway.
01 Jun, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 8th comment:
I used to have it turned on. But then it just got annoying and I turned it off. If I really need to know if someone's on, I just do imcchanwho ichat all and see if they're there. :P
01 Jun, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
Well, as I said, I find it to be a useful feature, I like it, don't think it's noise, and I'd be opposed to removing it – that is why it bothers me when something like this happens. If I didn't like the feature I'd just turn it off. So, again, if the solution is as simple as turning off imcnotify if you think you'll be rebooting a lot, then that makes the problem very easy to solve. That is a better solution (simpler and easier) than changing the IMC connection settings.
0.0/9