26 Jul, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
Doubly Agreed. Or would this be triply agreed?
27 Jul, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 42nd comment:
Is the plan to leave 8ball and google results on ichat for the long term?
27 Jul, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 43rd comment:
8ball no, google yes.
27 Jul, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 44th comment:
Given that the main use of the google feature so far seems to be wasting time with silly searches, would it be possible to reconsider that policy?
27 Jul, 2008, Guest wrote in the 45th comment:
I have a feeling the fascination with the Google bot ( not to be confused with Googlebot ) will wear out soon and it'll be used when someone wants a quick #1 hit on something. Personally I don't find it to be terribly useful as a feature since I can hit Google and query them and get thousands of results in the same or less time it takes the channel bot to respond with one single result.
27 Jul, 2008, Conner wrote in the 46th comment:
Samson said:
I have a feeling the fascination with the Google bot ( not to be confused with Googlebot ) will wear out soon and it'll be used when someone wants a quick #1 hit on something. Personally I don't find it to be terribly useful as a feature since I can hit Google and query them and get thousands of results in the same or less time it takes the channel bot to respond with one single result.

In an effort to remain on-topic, I hope that you're right about that, Samson because otherwise the current usage that I've seen has so far been mainly inane spam..

Regarding the other one, the Googlebot, that you mentioned, do you happen to know what IP range (CIDR) one would use to block him completely? I've noticed that Googlebot is encompassing roughly 65% of all my web traffic lately (which is pretty bad since I've actually been getting a fair amount of web traffic…) and I need to recover some of my bandwidth.

Everyone else, feel free to resume the regular course of this topic with my apologies for the brief sidetracking…
27 Jul, 2008, Davion wrote in the 47th comment:
Conner said:
Samson said:

In an effort to remain on-topic, I hope that you're right about that, Samson because otherwise the current usage that I've seen has so far been mainly inane spam..

Regarding the other one, the Googlebot, that you mentioned, do you happen to know what IP range (CIDR) one would use to block him completely? I've noticed that Googlebot is encompassing roughly 65% of all my web traffic lately (which is pretty bad since I've actually been getting a fair amount of web traffic…) and I need to recover some of my bandwidth.

As far as MegaBot's google feature, I've seen simlar thing used in IRC channels. Most often it's a mocking reply to a question. In Conner's case, I'd type "!google robot.txt"
27 Jul, 2008, Guest wrote in the 48th comment:
There is of course a down side to blocking Googlebot. If you want your page to show up in searches, you need to let them visit. You can however regulate how often they do that and Googlebot will comply with all manner of robots.txt directives.
27 Jul, 2008, Conner wrote in the 49th comment:
Samson said:
There is of course a down side to blocking Googlebot. If you want your page to show up in searches, you need to let them visit. You can however regulate how often they do that and Googlebot will comply with all manner of robots.txt directives.

Hmm, I wasn't aware that there was a robots.txt directive to set how frequently Google sent their crawler through my site, I'll check into that, thanks. :)
28 Jul, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 50th comment:
Davion said:
As far as MegaBot's google feature, I've seen simlar thing used in IRC channels. Most often it's a mocking reply to a question. In Conner's case, I'd type "!google robot.txt"

OK, we can let people say "google it" without having a bot to echo results to inane questions about whether or not people will get laid or how to hack some MUD… I don't mind the presence of the bot, but I do mind its operation being on the public channel, especially as it has been used so far. This is not a reflection on the bot itself, but perhaps more so on how people have used it. :thinking:
28 Jul, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 51st comment:
Well, the one time I've used the IMC Google Bot, it crashed MegaBot, So. I try not to use it. :P
40.0/51