20 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Could someone please be a little pickier as far as letting muds advertise on the site? I don't mean not letting specific genres and the sort be listed but specifically try not to allow MUDs which are known license-violators to partake in the free banner rotations. I just saw Rek-MUD 4's banner up on the rotation and it made me wonder how that got into the rotation being a well known DIKU, Merc, and GodWars License Violator.
20 Sep, 2008, mtfox wrote in the 2nd comment:
While Fizban is on the subject of Banners, Paragon's banner link shows up to the main directory of Times of Trouble, seemingly run by Fizban.
20 Sep, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 3rd comment:
Not run by me, (I just host the webpage) but yeah Paragon has been dead for hmm, a year and a half at least as it died a few months before I began working on 4 Dimensions, hadn't realized it was still in the rotation.
20 Sep, 2008, mtfox wrote in the 4th comment:
Then I think it must be time someone cleared out the dead links as well, to help people get to active muds.
20 Sep, 2008, Zeno wrote in the 5th comment:
I don't think RekMUD violates the license anymore..?
20 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 6th comment:
Fizban said:
Could someone please be a little pickier as far as letting muds advertise on the site? I don't mean not letting specific genres and the sort be listed but specifically try not to allow MUDs which are known license-violators to partake in the free banner rotations. I just saw Rek-MUD 4's banner up on the rotation and it made me wonder how that got into the rotation being a well known DIKU, Merc, and GodWars License Violator.

As always, proof of the allegations would help. I know I don't keep track of who violates who these days. I'm not sure Davion has the time to hunt that sort of thing down. Nor do I suspect Asylumius does. I guarantee you Kiasyn doesn't.

Also, I'll see if the connection spider code we had been working on at one time is in useable condition. It's definitely about time to have the rotations pruned.
20 Sep, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 7th comment:
As always, proof of the allegations would help.

I think that "proof" would require adjudication in
a court of law, no? Else it's just "evidence".

If what is required is "proof" then pretty much
anything goes.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
20 Sep, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 8th comment:
Evidence of the allegations then :P
20 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 9th comment:
Cratylus said:
I think that "proof" would require adjudication in
a court of law, no? Else it's just "evidence".

Um. Yeah. Is there something in the air or what? Everyone lately is getting uber-picky about casual choice of words. Proof, evidence, whatever. Something more than just "he did it!".
20 Sep, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 10th comment:
Is there something in the air or what?

Sorry, it just wasn't that clear to me. Other sites
actually *do* go by a "proof" policy. I wanted to know.
Not sure that warrants question about what I'm
breathing, but thanks for the clarification.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
20 Sep, 2008, Guest wrote in the 11th comment:
I wasn't singling you out actually. There's been a lot of people taking issue with choice of words. Casual meanings being tossed aside and a few all out flamewars on some sites over nothing at all. I blame France.
20 Sep, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 12th comment:
Yeah, well I blame. Um.. Uzbekistan! Because They don't get talked about enough.
20 Sep, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 13th comment:
I blame Madagascar, to being impervious to makind-eliminating viruses.
20 Sep, 2008, Tijer wrote in the 14th comment:
RekMUD 4 follows the Diku/Merc/GodWars Licenses now as they stopped taking payment for objects in game. (Not even sure if the mud is still in existance tbh)
20 Sep, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 15th comment:
Samson said:
I blame France.

I blame Antarctica, you cannot trust Penguins. On a more serious note, I agree with Samson that the onus of proof is with the person making the accusation as i highly doubt that any of the admins have the time to collect it.

I also thing that initially all allegations of license violation should be PM'd to admins, along with supporting evidence to be investigated before they are put on trial in the court of public opinion. Casual statements like "X game is a known license violator" are IMO highly slanderous and inflammatory when not backed with any supporting evidence and is likely lead to big arguments and bitter rivalries when incorrect.
20 Sep, 2008, Conner wrote in the 16th comment:
The_Fury said:
I blame Antarctica, you cannot trust Penguins. On a more serious note, I agree with Samson that the onus of proof is with the person making the accusation as i highly doubt that any of the admins have the time to collect it.

But penguins are SOOO cute! Plus, they're the mascot of Linux.. :wink:

The_Fury said:
I also thing that initially all allegations of license violation should be PM'd to admins, along with supporting evidence to be investigated before they are put on trial in the court of public opinion. Casual statements like "X game is a known license violator" are IMO highly slanderous and inflammatory when not backed with any supporting evidence and is likely lead to big arguments and bitter rivalries when incorrect.

Hmm, maybe that's why TMC has so many trolls and flamers, folks over there are always bandying about Mercthievia… :rolleyes:
20 Sep, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 17th comment:
Conner said:
Hmm, maybe that's why TMC has so many trolls and flamers, folks over there are always bandying about Mercthievia… :rolleyes:

I don't know if that's the reason why, but i do agree that those sort of discussions become tiresome after a while. IMO those types of discussions do not lead to the quality of discussions that we enjoy on this site, nor do they lead to people collaborating on other projects and the like.
21 Sep, 2008, Conner wrote in the 18th comment:
The_Fury said:
IMO those types of discussions do not lead to the quality of discussions that we enjoy on this site, nor do they lead to people collaborating on other projects and the like.

Agreed, those sorts of discussions are usually primarily there to instigate "venting" (flaming) and promote debates about license term meanings (arm-chair lawyering), neither of which is very productive when those debates have already taken place so many times on so many sites over the years that we've all already heard every angle and yet still no one has bothered to take the matter to court either. I also agree that the discussions we've had here (with a few noted exceptions) have generally been much higher quality and far more enjoyable than most of the ones I've read there and I suspect it is largely because we don't have those sorts of discussions here nearly as often.
0.0/18