16 Jul, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 81st comment:
Votes: 0
Those were all the same server on speedtest. The only variable was what browser I was using when running the tests. They were all ran within a ten minute timespan as well so the time of day wasn't the issue. I had thought it might have the amount of RAM that each browser takes up, but to make that negligble I had all 4 browsers open for all of the tests. For some reason in almost every test, even those I didn't post Internet Explorer was dirt slow, and Opera had horrific latency.
16 Jul, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 82nd comment:
The servers seem to fluctuate alot. I never get anywhere near the same speed twice.
16 Jul, 2007, Conner wrote in the 83rd comment:
Fizban said:
Those were all the same server on speedtest. The only variable was what browser I was using when running the tests. They were all ran within a ten minute timespan as well so the time of day wasn't the issue. I had thought it might have the amount of RAM that each browser takes up, but to make that negligble I had all 4 browsers open for all of the tests. For some reason in almost every test, even those I didn't post Internet Explorer was dirt slow, and Opera had horrific latency.

So, no online multiplayer gaming in Opera and IE is crap in general but Firefox and Netscape are comparible (they're also both from the same branch of Mozilla, aren't they?).. I can't really say these results are that surprising, though it is a wee bit surprising that the browsers are varied quite so drastically on a test that's using ftp to measure your broadband speed.
16 Jul, 2007, Guest wrote in the 84th comment:
These speed tests aren't that great at all, really. They're meant to give you a general idea of how your connection is performing. I've repeated the test in Firefox several times in a row and have witnessed it return wildly different results all within a 5-10 minute timespan. So I'm not 100% convinced that the disparity between IE, Opera, and Firefox is because one is faster at networking than the other. It could simply have been variations in the connection conditions.
16 Jul, 2007, Conner wrote in the 85th comment:
Even if that's taken into consideration, I really wouldn't advise anyone to try multiplayer online gaming from Opera anyway.. and I've been a strong advocate of people dumping IE in favor of better browsers for quite awhile now as well. :wink:
17 Jul, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 86th comment:
Here's another sample:

Opera:

Firefox:

17 Jul, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 87th comment:
Conner said:
Even if that's taken into consideration, I really wouldn't advise anyone to try multiplayer online gaming from Opera anyway.. and I've been a strong advocate of people dumping IE in favor of better browsers for quite awhile now as well. :wink:

Please. Opera is an awesome browser. And unlike Firefox it hasn't had 2 separate bugs which gave sites the ability to run commands from the command line of your pc…
18 Jul, 2007, Conner wrote in the 88th comment:
Brinson said:
Conner said:

Please. Opera is an awesome browser. And unlike Firefox it hasn't had 2 separate bugs which gave sites the ability to run commands from the command line of your pc…

I believe you missed my point.. I happen to prefer Opera as my primary browser myself (Firefox is my secondary browser), but I certaily wouldn't suggest to anyone that they use Opera for online multiplayer gaming.. you know, games like Halo, Diablo II, etc.. it's really not suited as a client for that. :wink:
18 Jul, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 89th comment:

You confuse me…

:thinking:
19 Jul, 2007, Conner wrote in the 90th comment:
Sorry. Usually latency is primarily a concern for those who are engaged in multiuser online gaming, something which almost never involves your browser anyway. Clearer?
19 Jul, 2007, Kjwah wrote in the 91st comment:
Brinson said:
Conner said:

However, it could happen. As developers, they can and WILL make mistakes.
19 Jul, 2007, Guest wrote in the 92nd comment:
Brinson said:
Conner said:

Opera is not a perfect browser by any stretch. When 20% market share you reach, secure you will no longer be.

And that doesn't even begin to cover my opinion of an awful skin built up with awful bloat and an awful interface to get to the thousands of menu checkboxes for all the same shit I can do in Firefox with much less hassle. But bashing on each others browsers isn't keeping the focus where it belongs - destroying the IE empire! Use what you like, as long as it's not IE :)
20 Jul, 2007, Conner wrote in the 93rd comment:
Samson said:
But bashing on each others browsers isn't keeping the focus where it belongs - destroying the IE empire! Use what you like, as long as it's not IE :)

Now there's a position I can agree with! :lol:
04 Oct, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 94th comment:
Sorry for the 'severe' threadromancy but was curious since my own ISP recently upped their speeds if anyone else's had been as well:

04 Oct, 2008, Caius wrote in the 95th comment:
That's pretty much exactly ten times my speed :mad:

Edit: Not exactly, but pretty close:
04 Oct, 2008, Davion wrote in the 96th comment:

Hrm. Should be faster, but I'm not willing to pause my torrents :P

Paused them :P

04 Oct, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 97th comment:
Davion said:

Hrm. Should be faster, but I'm not willing to pause my torrents :P

Paused them :P

Can we trade downloads (You can keep your upload).
04 Oct, 2008, mtfox wrote in the 98th comment:
04 Oct, 2008, Zenn wrote in the 99th comment:

EDIT:

Slow, I know.. but apparently my ISP ranks at 172 for download speed at just under 1846kb/s.

And, of course, less than twenty miles away from me in another county they're installing fiberoptic internet systems.

:-/
04 Oct, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 100th comment:
Caius said:
That's pretty much exactly ten times my speed :mad:

Edit: Not exactly, but pretty close:

Hey, look dialup! :lol:
80.0/147