01 Aug, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Fizban said:
I'd go the total opposite of David, running a mud takes more work than running a server. No question in my eyes. A successful mud nearly requires the administrators have no life.

I was referring to the systems administration perspective, since that's what we were talking about. :wink:

Samson said:
I'd wager running one game server on someone elses host still involves a lot more than you're letting on. Even then, the person in charge of the one server still has to maintain the OS, keep the apps updated

I must have misspoke, I was talking about the tasks needed to keep a MUD server – not a general server – running on somebody else's host; the user (== user of the hosting service) doesn't have to do anything with the OS and apps (but as you say the person running the server does).

Kline said:
Kudos to those who step up and do provide a free home to others, and even to those (Samson :) that provide a reasonably priced one, as well.

Samson provides pretty much the best hosting service I have seen especially given the very reasonable price. So let me add my kudos to yours. :smile:
25 Oct, 2008, cuthbert wrote in the 22nd comment:
Votes: 0
I'm with you there, Kline. I tried offering just a few friends space awhile back on a Linux machine I had and it was nothing but headaches. They thought I was a 24/7 service and at their beck and call.

Running a mud host is hard work, and I have much respect for those who run them.
20.0/22