16 Nov, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
The only pathetic thing I saw in this thread was Conner's reaction to a joke. It was after all. A JOKE. Conner normally has impeccable typing. He messed up a word. I made a joke about it. As I've done to countless other people on this forum, and on SmaugMuds.

People see attacks in the stupidest things. And that's what's really pathetic. If he has to rant about things on a forum, maybe he does need to step back and take a breather. Especially so, since he used to pick on my spelling/grammar on IMC.

As for the IMC thing, I'm not sure how to respond. The theory behind IMC is "Open Source. Open Community. Open Minds." IIRC you were going to leave because someone offered criticism of something you were doing, in a constructive manner, and you didn't like the criticism because of who was offering it.

As for the Admins, It makes no sense for you to pick sides like you appear to be doing. As, if I had to put a number to it I'd say, 80% of the community here saw nothing wrong with the remark that started this whole thing. Most people saw it for what it was. A joke.

And, in regards to Conner being picked on for every little thing he says, I haven't seen any of this, short of my comment yesterday.

But whatever, this whole thing is a retarded overreaction to a comment made in jest.

[Edit:] I'd also like to add in, that I already clarified, that had Conner merely mentioned that he was having hardware issues, I'd have apologized. But instead he proceeded to blast me for doing something he himself has done to me before. So, sadly, He'll get no such apology from me.
16 Nov, 2008, Dragona wrote in the 22nd comment:
Your right.. Whatever.. I will just go back into hiding from this site again, ya'll obviously only want certain people in your little group and don't have room for others.
Yesterday was not the first one.. You can go back and see thread after thread where David has twisted words around from what was said.. whatever..
goodbye
16 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 23rd comment:
Wait, uh, why are you bringing me into this? What did I do? Was telling Conner that it was a joke a wrong thing to do?
16 Nov, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 24th comment:
Your right.. Whatever.. I will just go back into hiding from this site again, ya'll obviously only want certain people in your little group and don't have room for others.

You may be genuinely unaware of this, but I'm like the
Osama Bin Laden of Mudbytes. Of all people (except maybe
Scandum) I can lay strongest claim to being "outside the
in-crowd". I couldn't care less who is friends with
whom. What I've said is what I believe to be true. It
is not some sort of effort to drive you off.

You can go back and see thread after thread where David has twisted words around from what was said..

This will risk offending you, but I'd like it if you
actually backed this up. This is a claim that I'd like
to know if it's true, but I'm not going to sift through
dozens of threads to divine where someone could have
been offended. Please provide specific examples because,
as you can see from this thread, people-who-are-not-you
can be very surprised at what you find offensive.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
16 Nov, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 25th comment:
Quixadhal starts singing, "They've got tooooo much, time on their hands…"

*shrug* I said hello to the newcomer, I laughed at the drama, I'm surprised anyone paused over their coffee, let alone got so steamed as to storm off and disappear into the ether.

I'm a relative newcomer here as well, despite the number of posts they've somehow allowed me to rack up, and thus I'm not going to comment on any of the above, other than to say that if Daiki has read much around here, he knows some of like to spend days arguing over exactly which shade of blue "sky blue" really refers to.

IMHO, good call on splitting the drama off over here. A little harshly worded, but hey… we're supposed to be adults right?
16 Nov, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 26th comment:
Kayle said:
As for the Admins, It makes no sense for you to pick sides like you appear to be doing. As, if I had to put a number to it I'd say, 80% of the community here saw nothing wrong with the remark that started this whole thing. Most people saw it for what it was. A joke.

No one is picking sides. I didn't say anything against starting the thread, like I said, I forgave that. I point no blame. But continuing after I say stop is something I don't tolerate.
16 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 27th comment:
I dunno, I thought it was a reasonable question to ask. Maybe he should have done it in a new thread, but that's the only real problem I see with it. It wasn't exactly clear to me that you were copasetic with Kayle's initial remark, so Kayle was asking why he was getting flak for it.
16 Nov, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 28th comment:
DavidHaley said:
It wasn't exactly clear to me that you were copasetic with Kayle's initial remark, so Kayle was asking why he was getting flak for it.

My thoughts exactly. Scarey…
17 Nov, 2008, Mabus wrote in the 29th comment:
Thank you to the admins for being active and decisive.

I too think an "Introduce Yourself" or "New Poster" thread might be handy, as others have suggested.
17 Nov, 2008, Guest wrote in the 30th comment:
Huh. And here I thought hostility and angry responses to posts were supposed to be my job. I guess I've been fired :)

Seriously though people. A joke was made. Conner didn't take it kindly. I have to wonder if those claiming to be the cooler heads here shouldn't have just dropped it and walked away instead of dragging things out this far and forcing a topic split over it. Jesus. And you people thought I was bad?
17 Nov, 2008, Chris Bailey wrote in the 31st comment:
This whole thing has made me curious, have they ever posted on TMC? I've sat down and written up posts for TMC and then changed my mind before posting because I wasn't sure if my sentence structure was perfect. The *only* person that has given me any flak here at MB was Runter and that was just a teeny tiny thing that I perceived as an attack. It's all clear sailing around here! =)
17 Nov, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 32nd comment:
I, too, am confused over this whole thing.

I may not have the post count that some others have, but I'm quite sure I can be counted among the first group of people to have signed up here. Hell, I was a part of the TMC discussion that gave birth to this site… I vividly recall suggesting within that thread someone create an alternative code repository to Mud Magic that didn't have the gag that Kyndig would put on his members, and shortly thereafter Mud Bytes was created. I'm not trying to take credit for the idea, what I'm trying to illustrate is that a few years from now when some people can be considered "oldbies" to this site, I'm one of them. I've followed the progress of this site from birth, and I might miss a conversation here and there, and I lurk a lot more than I actually post, but I keep up with what's going on here.

That said, I honestly have no idea where Conner and Dragona are coming from on all this.

I've always counted those two among the more reasonable individuals in the community, among those that I actually "like", among those I normally agree with, and at times even as "allies" amidst certain drama. I feel like I would have certainly taken notice if Conner was being attacked or picked on. Particularly considering I've gained a bit of a "bliss ninny" or "white knight" reputation among some, I would have very likely come to Conner's defense had I seen such things going on.

Likewise, I find David to normally have a pretty even outlook on things, and very rarely resorting to the tactics he is accused of.

It's possible I've just missed things, but I'm not so sure that I have.

What seems more possible to me is that certain things have been misinterpreted. Text isn't a very expressive or nuanced medium, and its easy to misunderstand what someone is trying to get across, particularly if humor, sarcasm, or a bit of tongue-in-cheek is intended.

Maybe Conner is seeing attacks where there aren't any? Maybe he's mistaken people's good natured jabs as something more mean spirited?

I don't know, but I'm in the camp that's confused as to how all of this has gone down.
17 Nov, 2008, kiasyn wrote in the 33rd comment:
http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=prof... you were the 50th person to sign up =P
17 Nov, 2008, Scoyn wrote in the 34th comment:
{spellcheck} I just wanted to come by and see everyone's reactions to the thread. It really is just a joke that got out of hand. But I've noticed… Daiki hasn't said anything on ANY of the forums since he joined aside from the "Hi, I'm new!" post that kicked off FWIII (Forum Wars III). Now, I'm not sure if it's just because he hasn't checked back, or if it's because he saw what happened when a joke wasn't taken as a joke and thought to himself, "wow… if this is how they always are, I'm not going back…" Either way, I'm not sure everyone fighting about someone not taking a joke is the best way to make someone feel welcome. And that's my 2 cents. {/spellcheck}
17 Nov, 2008, Chris Bailey wrote in the 35th comment:
I agree with you completely Scoyn, I had noticed the same thing. It certainly would have driven me off, I consider that reaction to be ridiculous and it certainly couldn't have helped anything.
18 Nov, 2008, Davion wrote in the 36th comment:
I can assure you, no side was taken. The way this "hi I'm new" thread turned out would send anyone away screaming. This is the entire reason for my embarrassment. To say that this went over well, or even passing it off as just another internet community is simply unacceptable to me. I can't quite figure out why Conner reacted as harshly as he did, but I'd imagine part of it is being annoyed by hardware problems. Honestly, there's a time and a place for a joke, and picking apart someones typing on a "hi I'm new" thread just doesn't seem… right? We're supposed to be introducing ourselves to this newbie and instead we're presenting ourselves as nit-picking spell checkers, grumpy old people and antagonizers. Not exactly the first contact that we'd like to have, ya know? Conner's initial post was picture perfect. Exactly what I'd expect from a member of such caliber and class. Kayle's post wasn't "bad" in the grand scheme of things, but within this context of inviting people to MudBytes, I'll have to agree with Conner on this one, that it simply wasn't the time. The general message in his post is pretty much bang on… his wording coulda used some work :P. It was a little to defensive.
18 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 37th comment:
At the risk of being repetitive of other people's posts, and perhaps beating a by now undead horse, in all honesty I think it is the infuriated response to what seems like a joke among friends that would scare me, not the fact that a well-established community has people making jokes.
19 Nov, 2008, Sryth wrote in the 38th comment:
Geez. Come on guys. Surely I am not the only one who has noticed that these threads gone horribly wrong when someone takes something WAY out into left field and goes nuts over something that shouldn't really be a factor almost always happens on a Friday or Saturday night. This is not that difficult to figure out. Just stop visiting the forums when you've had more than 2 or 3 drinks and don't come back until the hangover is done…Pretty simple fix.

We all have stress during the week, and it is easy for it to come out when we party a bit. Just try to stay away from serious issues during that time.
19 Nov, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 39th comment:
Sryth said:
This is not that difficult to figure out. Just stop visiting the forums when you've had more than 2 or 3 drinks and don't come back until the hangover is done…Pretty simple fix.

We'd NEVER see Ssolvarain then!
19 Nov, 2008, Dean wrote in the 40th comment:
Tsk, tsk. Alcohol isn't the problem, I know for a fact I'm more mellow after a few drinks. I can't erm, remember if I am or not after a fair few more. :lol:
20.0/81