19 Nov, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
i was wondering if anybody knew of a guide to using ivan's olc available anywhere. i prefer one that isn't mud specific but pointed more toward stock 1.81 for rom.
19 Nov, 2008, Ssolvarain wrote in the 2nd comment:
Not sure exactly which OLC I've used, but this building guide covers olc well. Things do slip my mind occasionally :P
19 Nov, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 3rd comment:
i was looking around that site you posted and i noticed a donation form on there that i believe goes against the diku license. the donations can earn you in-game donation points which can be used to buy restring tokens and houses etc. i would think someone would have already jumped on them for this but i may be wrong about this being forbidden by the diku license.

Edit to add: here's the link by the way. Donations Page
19 Nov, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 4th comment:
Igabod said:
i was looking around that site you posted and i noticed a donation form on there that i believe goes against the diku license. the donations can earn you in-game donation points which can be used to buy restring tokens and houses etc. i would think someone would have already jumped on them for this but i may be wrong about this being forbidden by the diku license.

Edit to add: here's the link by the way. Donations Page

That builder guide was ripped off from an older guide that's no longer active at an old Geocities pages called "OLC: Down and Dirty in the MUD"

It's copied exactly, in fact, (including images for the links and such) but that's the building guide I used when learning to build on stock ROM. I don't know if that's some violation or not, but the original site that was from is gone, and having it preserved somewhere has been invaluable to me.

As far as the donations thing, it was addressed here:
http://www.mudconnect.com/discuss/discus...

Mages Lair used to be listed here, but is no longer, so I'm assuming that it was already addressed here in some form as well.
19 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
Would it be possible to have a yes/no/maybe-version summary of that thread to help the lazy, err, pressed-for-time people? :wink:
19 Nov, 2008, Ssolvarain wrote in the 6th comment:
A "Thanks" would have been nice, too.
19 Nov, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 7th comment:
It was what you would expect from a License Violator thread over on TMC.

A bunch of people arguing over whether or not selling in-game items for real life money constituted a violation of the license, and whether or not anyone should be concerned even if it did sine the Diku team no longer cares. Arguing over whether or not "profit" means you can't sell items as long as you break even, blah blah.

If there was a consensus, it was simply "if you want to charge money for items in your game, use a different codebase."

Out of everyone, only two people seemed to be arguing in favor of Mage's Lair… The_Fury arguing the semantics of the license, and Varmel saying "It might not be only about the cost to host the MUD. There are other considerations as well. Like the actual work you put into the MUD. If you work from 8.00-17.00 on your daytime job, then your evening job start at maybe 19.00-22.00. It is time you could spend on other things, like meeting friends and family outside the Internet or play games. Money from donations might therefore not only be there to pay your hosting fee but to compensate for the time you put into developing the game." Arguments against The_Fury were pretty typical, while everyone pointed out to Varmel what the definition of "hobby" is and how most people put a lot of time into their favorite hobby without being expected to get paid for it.

Do I get paid for the 70+ hours I've put into Fallout 3?

For a Diku license thread, it was pretty short, only went 34 posts, and remained mostly cordial.

I think maybe people are finally getting tired of arguing this.

To me, its pretty clear they are violating the license. They are selling in-game items for money, which the license might not state in exact, explicit terms, but the intent against that is rather obvious.
19 Nov, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
Ah. Thanks for the summary: as you said, it is pretty much what you'd expect. Donations that are truly donations are quite a different story from donations where you get something back in the game that actually does something.
19 Nov, 2008, Skol wrote in the 9th comment:
If you still need an OLC guide, Ansalon's has been up and used/improved since 2000.

While there are quite a few changes, most are marked so you know if it's not a stock feature. There's a downloadable text version as well. All sources cited in credits etc.

Ansalon Builders Guide (Rom OLC)

Again, Ansalon started as Rom 2.4 in 96, so there are many improvements to the OLC (which btw, if people want, simply ask for specifics, the entire OLC isn't a 'here take this' but if you need to know how to do something I don't mind helping).
20 Nov, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 10th comment:
Ssolvarain said:
A "Thanks" would have been nice, too.

sorry, forgive my rudeness, thanks for the link Ssolvarain. I just got caught up thinking about the donations and totally forgot to thank you for answering my question.
20 Nov, 2008, Ssolvarain wrote in the 11th comment:
Anytime.

This thread reminded me that I have a 1/2 written guide I could finish working on, so that's a plus.
0.0/11