25 Nov, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Real name's Brandon but better known in the MUD community as Fizban or Drizzt1216 on TMC. I began MUDding on Dawn of Demise. The mud still exists and can be connected to at tdod.org:4000 but it's all but dead. I currently am a coder/scriptor for 4 Dimensions, one of the oldest running and best known CircleMUDs (4dimensions.org:6000), and am a developer for tbaMUD (tbamud.com) and a teacher on The Builder Academy (tbamud.com:9091). I suppose I could go on for several pages, but Hades_Kane has already published one hardcover book in this thread and I'd not want to subject you to a second.
26 Nov, 2008, Idealiad wrote in the 22nd comment:
I liked HK's novel to be honest. :D….

hey, maybe a mod could sticky this thread?
26 Nov, 2008, RedPyramid wrote in the 23rd comment:
Hey Mudbytes! Name's Jake Rayburn, I'm 20, and for more information you can of course check out my myspace. (PM needed for that) I'm not new to the mudding community, but I am new to coding. I'm currently trying to get my first MUD off the ground called Silent Hill: Path of Darkness. I'm not sure if I really fit in with this community for I'm not entirely able to talk all the Linux and Code talk, but I'm happy to be here nonetheless. I spent about 6 years as a Roleplay Immortal on a Dragonlance MUD and when the playerbase got stale and I got fed up with the Tyranny of the Imps, I headed on over here. I'm still trying my best to make friends here, and also trying to find a co-coder. I go to college right now for by Bachelor's in Music Education and I sadly admit I play World of Warcraft. Nylis/Level 60 Rogue/Jaedenar. I just picked up the new expansion and since I'm running on Dial-Up at this current moment, it will be a hot minute before I can get back to WoWing. Thanks for the home here at Mudbytes.
26 Nov, 2008, Kayle wrote in the 24th comment:
Idealiad said:

Seconded, Can we get this pinned?

And there's a lot of new coders about RedPyramid, You fit in perfectly. And if you can keep a secret, just because most of us here are avid coders, not all know Linux. :P Me for instance, I know enough to compile, and make sure my mud stays running. Working in the different programs.. I have a copy of Visual Studio 2005 Professional I got for free through my school, Why do I need Vi or Nano? :P
26 Nov, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 25th comment:
I consider myself a new coder too… and I use the term "coder" loosely. I'm terrible at trying to track down memory leaks, and I do understand pretty clearly my limitations.

Half of what is talked about on this site goes over my head :p

But I do well enough to get by. There's been few things that's reared its head in the last year that I haven't been able to take care of, whether it be a bug or a new feature. Although with the bugs, this site, TMC, and some others I know have been invaluable in squashing some of the harder to find ones.

I know enough linux to get by, which basically means I can work vi and pico/nano, I've been walked through setting up a new linux virtual server account so I have some experience in being able to install or update new programs. In the last few months I just learned how in gdb you can go to certain frames and print, which has made debugging things go to a whole new level. I can of course compile, and I know about looking for PIDs and killing processes… but I'd say that's about where it stops. I know only as much as I've needed to know :p

I code in EditPlus, and upload my edited files.

So yeah, don't feel out of place :)
26 Nov, 2008, Davion wrote in the 26th comment:
Idealiad said:
I liked HK's novel to be honest. :D….

Pinned up :D Also, split some chatter from the thread! Lets keep to introducing ourselves, shall we? :)
26 Nov, 2008, Skol wrote in the 27th comment:
Dave here, not quite 40 yet, started mudding the end of 99. I'd played the original Advent in 79, and then Zork etc, but hadn't stumbled upon MUDs still I was out of college (good thing too probably heh).

Anyway, I run Ansalon, a Mud started in 96 by three friends at OSU (OK version not Oregon). It's Dragonlance based, one of the few old ones left I believe. We keep strictly to the genre with building/coding, although more magic than DL had generally.

I've worked on building (OLC) and it's documentation since I began building, running the Ansalon Builders Guide for Rom/OLC building since 2001 as a resource for all Rom/Deriv builders. Began coding in 2002, and I'm constantly looking to find ways to make the game better, and building easier/more straightforward via OLC improvements etc.

I usually post as Skol, Zividave, Zivilyn, or some combination of those. On TMC, here, MM (doa), all those.

Most recently (today) opened up the Rom Area Sanctuary as another resource for people.
26 Nov, 2008, Pedlar wrote in the 28th comment:
im Pedlar! Mwahahaha phear my greatness!!! I also go by the names Golradir, on the late MM, and Syxx.

Ive been mudding since 1999 and been coding since 2000, if you've never seen my work, jus means ya wernt speshul enough too!
26 Nov, 2008, Skol wrote in the 29th comment:
Hey Pedlar, I dig the online help.php thing, good idea. Does it pull directly from the help file?
26 Nov, 2008, Pedlar wrote in the 30th comment:
actually, yea, it does :D reads in the help.are file and parses it :D
06 Dec, 2008, Lyanic wrote in the 31st comment:
Ok, I'll bite… Lyanic here - long time lurker, first time poster (here). I'm a 25 year old Computer Science graduate student in MS, U.S., pursuing interests in various topics of artificial intelligence, cognitive science and information assurance (I know - all over the map). I started playing MUDs in 1998 on the original Vampire Wars. After that, I bounced around from one terrible, stock Diku derivative to another until I finally decided I could do a better job of making my own. I started work on The 7th Plane (called The Abyss in those days) with a friend in December of 2001. We're now marking our 7th year anniversary. Over the years I've dabbled in a little bit of everything, but my preference has always been building and design. It has become my creative outlet. I built the entire world of the game from scratch by myself and wrote every bit of its mythos. I am also responsible for the design of every major element introduced in the last 5 years. I spend the majority of my free time on there and lurking in the shadows of the MUD community sites. I post infrequently to most of the major sites (TMC more than anywhere else). I went by various usernames in the past, but I think I've converted them all to Lyanic in the past 3 years. *wanders off*
06 Dec, 2008, The_Fury wrote in the 32nd comment:
OMG Long time lurker for sure LOL, Grats man, hope to read more from you now that you have your feet wet.
06 Dec, 2008, Lyanic wrote in the 33rd comment:
Perhaps I will post more. I didn't post much years ago because I disliked the administration, tone and direction of the site. I've noticed it getting a lot better (especially in the last year) and the forums see more activity than TMC's lately. I've kinda been meaning to switch over from TMC to here for most of this year, but I keep putting it off (why I can't post on both, I don't know - irrationality?). My biggest complaint here, though, is that there's not a board dedicated to Advanced Design (higher level stuff), as opposed to design specific to programming. It just seems to be interspersed with the more mundane topics. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
06 Dec, 2008, Littlehorn wrote in the 34th comment:
Hello my name is Littlehorn and I'm a alcoholic, I mean a mudder. I have been playing and developing muds for 10 years or so. I've worked on such projects as ParadoxMUD and RogueMUD. I think of my self as a casual mudder now a days and more appealed to PKILL style muds. I am a mud owner of a project that I have been working on and off for many years as well. I'm also one of the local lurker-vets over at the mudconnector.com forums since 2001 and looking to see what this community is all about finally.
06 Dec, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 35th comment:
Lyanic said:
is that there's not a board dedicated to Advanced Design (higher level stuff), as opposed to design specific to programming. It just seems to be interspersed with the more mundane topics. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Is the value to be found in having the board, or the topic itself? Not to be too cliche, but boards don't start conversations, people start conversations. :wink:
06 Dec, 2008, Lyanic wrote in the 36th comment:
The value to be found is in having the topics/conversations I'm interested in organized in one place so I don't have to search for them (Translation: I'm lazy).
06 Dec, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 37th comment:
Ah. Well, this has historically been a more coder-oriented forum than game designer-oriented forum, so I suppose that would be why there haven't been as many game design questions as code design questions. That said, there are MUD admin and world design boards, so those are probably the place to start looking. Again, though, keep in mind that the majority of people here are primarily programmers, so the bulk of discussions have been centered around that.
06 Dec, 2008, Lyanic wrote in the 38th comment:
I am aware - I just don't fit in anywhere… *crawls away* :(

P.S. The Building and World Design board is my favorite here.
06 Dec, 2008, Tyche wrote in the 39th comment:
Lyanic said:
I am aware - I just don't fit in anywhere… *crawls away* :(

P.S. The Building and World Design board is my favorite here.

There's a pretty "deep" design forum over at MudLab.
It's a bit slow, but what's been posted is excellent reading so far.
06 Dec, 2008, Lyanic wrote in the 40th comment:
Yeah, I think I'd read everything on MudLab last I checked. It does have good stuff, but like you said - not a lot of activity. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Maybe some day I'll try an experiment where I post the same new topic to TMC, MudLab and here, then see which one generates the most (if any) discussion?

EDIT:
Yeah, I just went back to MudLab and there appear to have only been 2 new threads created on the Design board since I last checked it a few months ago. However, it made me realize that the content on MudLab's Design board is precisely the type of content I'd like to see on some more active MUD community site (perhaps here?). Thanks again, Tyche. I tend to forget about checking on MudLab more often than once every two months.
20.0/221