09 Dec, 2008, Vorshek wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hello there.

I'm on a bit of a nostalgia trip and looking to run a MUD server on my Mac, mostly just for general mucking around. The only success I've had installing and running a MUD is with slashmudx, which seems to be very much a work in progress and not really what I'm looking for.

I've downloaded a bunch of others (Circle, Diku etc) but don't know enough about Darwin to get them up and running. If any of you have had any success running a MUD server under OS 10.4 then I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Which MUD do you run and what did you have to do to it to get it to run?

Cheers.
09 Dec, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 2nd comment:
I haven't tried it myself but supposedly Dead Souls works fine on
your OS. Since it's pretty much unix, folks just follow the unix
instructions: http://dead-souls.net/ds-inst-faq.html#8

I'm actually surprised you haven't found something that works
ok, since your OS is not that exotic afaik. Maybe you're looking at
older versions of these codebases. I imagine that Smaug and
TBA actually would work fine too.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net/
09 Dec, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 3rd comment:
I've never tried it due to not owning a MAC but I know of a few people to have successfully ran tbaMUD on macbooks with little to no alteration.
09 Dec, 2008, ShadowsDawn wrote in the 4th comment:
NakedMUD runs just fine on Mac. I do it all the time, when I need a portable dev environment for my project.

Granted it is a bare bones code base. It's menat for you to build your own game how you need to. As such, there is no combat and such, an donly rudimentary communications and such. However, the building & scripting is quite thorough!
09 Dec, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
As people have said, since Mac OS X is basically Unix in disguise, almost all MUDs run with little to no modification. There are some weird issues sometimes with headers being in slightly different locations, or data types being slightly different, but generally speaking it's pretty much the same.
09 Dec, 2008, Vorshek wrote in the 6th comment:
Attempting to run ./configure in a terminal window brings up a variety of errors, depending on what MUD I'm trying to run. The following is a fairly typical example of what I run into.

./configure
Option selected: ds
Preparing to build standard MudOS driver …
Trying out some stuff to see what works; ignore errors …
./build.FluffOS: line 137: test: : integer expression expected
./build.FluffOS: line 146: gmake: command not found
./build.FluffOS: line 151: make: command not found
FATAL ERROR: Cannot find make or gmake
Moving around some DS specific files…
File moves done
Copying local_options.ds to local_options
No MinGW config needed.
No Wolfpaw config needed.
Configuration script complete.

I don't know enough about the Darwin or bash to get past this point. It's possible that make/gmake have been deliberately disabled (I'm on my work machine) though I can't imagine they'd have expected me to ever use them. I'm supposed to be a graphic designer and incapable of grasping unix. Which, I suspect, is mostly correct.
09 Dec, 2008, Igabod wrote in the 7th comment:
I know for sure rom has some parts in the code that say #ifdef Macintosh so that must mean rom works with mac. I myself am a PC guy so I wouldn't know for sure about this subject but you might give that a try. Also, look into embermud. It's a very nice codebase for beginner coders and non-newbs alike. Very well commented so even if that's not your area of expertise you shouldn't have any problems. You can download the EmberMUD codebase from the repository Here. Hope this helps you.
09 Dec, 2008, Fizban wrote in the 8th comment:
Igabod said:
I know for sure rom has some parts in the code that say #ifdef Macintosh so that must mean rom works with mac. I myself am a PC guy so I wouldn't know for sure about this subject but you might give that a try. Also, look into embermud. It's a very nice codebase for beginner coders and non-newbs alike. Very well commented so even if that's not your area of expertise you shouldn't have any problems. You can download the EmberMUD codebase from the repository Here. Hope this helps you.

No it doesn't. I'm not claiming it doesn't have #ifdef Macintosh, but those defines could very well have been coded for ancient deprecated Macintosh OS's and not the current OSX and may very well mean nil about its compatability with current macs.
09 Dec, 2008, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
You might need to install gcc on your system. I think there's an OS X Dev Tools out there that does it for you. Can't remember if you can download it for free, though.
09 Dec, 2008, ShadowsDawn wrote in the 10th comment:
DavidHaley said:
You might need to install gcc on your system. I think there's an OS X Dev Tools out there that does it for you. Can't remember if you can download it for free, though.

Xcode is available to all Mac owners if I recall. I'm not sure entirely either as I get my Mac from work, and I just download it then. But yeah, Xcode will install gcc, as well as many of the other things you will need.
09 Dec, 2008, Skol wrote in the 11th comment:
Igabod, that was for the old 68040/PPC Mac stuff. Remember those codes originated in the early 90's.
Xcode == free, that gets gcc and you're set. There IS something about location of definitions, but I forget what offhand. Basically, install xcode, compile some mud, start fixin, go from there.
I'd probably do gcc, pico/nano, vim (pick editor of choice).
09 Dec, 2008, Vorshek wrote in the 12th comment:
Thanks all for the very quick responses. I will go find my system CDs and get Xcode up and running.
09 Dec, 2008, ShadowsDawn wrote in the 13th comment:
Vorshek said:
Thanks all for the very quick responses. I will go find my system CDs and get Xcode up and running.

Try seeing if you can Download the newest version from Apple. That way you know you hve more current libraries.
22 Dec, 2008, Vorshek wrote in the 14th comment:
It seems that most of the problems I'd had were with the version of Xcode I was using. Everything was fine once I'd downloaded and installed the most up to date files that would work with my version of the OS. So now I have my very own DeadSouls mud to muck around with. Are there any places I can grab more samples to cannibalise and butcher for my amusement?
22 Dec, 2008, Cratylus wrote in the 15th comment:
Vorshek said:
So now I have my very own DeadSouls mud to muck around with. Are there any places I can grab more samples to cannibalise and butcher for my amusement?

If you mean codebases, then yes, there are a bunch of codebases you can download
from this site. Check out the "Code Repository" link above.

If you mean Dead Souls specific sample code, there is a "code vault" topic on
http://lpmuds.net/forum where people sometimes share their stuff. That's also the official
support site for Dead Souls, so your DS specific questions would be germane there.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
22 Dec, 2008, Vorshek wrote in the 16th comment:
I did mean Dead Souls specific. Thanks for the link.
22 Dec, 2008, Noplex wrote in the 17th comment:
Smaug runs on OS X with a couple of #ifdef changes. I don't remember offhand, but I could get them a little later.
22 Dec, 2008, quixadhal wrote in the 18th comment:
It's probably also worth mentioning that OS X is a branch of FreeBSD 5.x, so in many cases if you have a choice between a linux or SYSV method and a BSD method, the BSD one will just work.
Random Picks
0.0/18