08 Feb, 2009, Valo wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I was wondering if there was a way to have Guest Characters be created and sent to a room other than the room that regular characters are created in. For instance, normal characters are made in #0 and I want the guest characters to be sent to #14. I am running on MUX 2.7.4.25. Any one have any code that can do this or anything that I need to set in the shell for this to work? Anything would be appreciated.
08 Feb, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 2nd comment:
Probably the simplest way to do this is to set the home of the Guest characters to the room you want. I'm not sure of how to procedurally do this if, for example, you create new Guest characters.
08 Feb, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 3rd comment:
I remember having a guest_room parameter in the .conf file, but it doesn't seem to work in MUX 2. :( Must have been Penn or MUX 1.5. Sounds like something for Brazil's ToDo list.

You can set the Guest's @aconnect to home, and link the Guest somewhere, but they will go through your starting room first, which is likely not the effect you want. I suppose you could have the start room be blank, and have everyone @tel on first connect, but you'd want to remove the @aconn from Players at some point.

Another approach might be to make the guest_file look like a room.
08 Feb, 2009, Valo wrote in the 4th comment:
Yeah. I tried the aconnect on the guest character as well as on a GuestTEMPLATE character that I have the other Guest Characters parented to, but it doesn't seem to work. Each time a guest connects, then the previous Guest character is deleted.
08 Feb, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 5th comment:
Have you read the GUESTS file in /docs?

(the @aconn won't work if the Guest is Fixed)

BTW, if you do get this to work, please let me know how you did it. I think a separate Guest Start Room makes orientation easier, and it's more elegant than saying, "If you're a Guest, please go south". :)
08 Feb, 2009, Valo wrote in the 6th comment:
I figured it out. I just had to make an object that would monitor the arrivals and do what I wanted it to do when a guest arrived. The code for the object is down below. #1398 is the Dbref # of the guest room where I wanted the guest characters to go. I think the haspower() part can be removed, but I left it in just in case it broke the code if I took it out.

@create Guest Controller=10
@lock Guest Controller=here
@Startup Guest Controller=@set me=!NO_COMMAND !HALTED
@Ahear Guest Controller=@switch 0=haspower(%#,guest),@set %#=ANSI; @wait 1=@tel %#=#1398
@Desc Guest Controller=Puts the Guests in their place.%R%R[u(credits)]
@Listen Guest Controller=Guest* has arrived.
&CREDITS Guest Controller=Coded by Valo @ MutantMUSH.
&VERSION Guest Controller=1.0
@set Guest Controller=DARK
@set Guest Controller=WIZARD
09 Feb, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 7th comment:
Okay, now I remember having an "Irish Setter" in the Start Room for a similar purpose.

BTW, I haven't forgotten you guys, I had crash and just got your address back tonight. :)
0.0/7