04 Mar, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
So tonight I finally figured out that putting an \a in a send_to_char will make a beep. I was wondering what the other possibilities are. I know what \r and \n do, but I don't know what else works. Can anybody help?
04 Mar, 2009, Stormy wrote in the 2nd comment:
04 Mar, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 3rd comment:
Thanks for the link stormy, now I just have a few questions.

\b = backspace, how does this work? Like if I had this line: send_to_char("blah blah blah.\b\r\n",ch); would the output be "blah blah blah"? what would this look like in the mud?
\v = vertical tab, would this be equivalent to just doing \r\n like 5 times or something?
\f = form feed, no clue what this could be

those are the only ones I have questions on, I realize I could just test these for myself and figure it out, but I've only got a few minutes left till I get off work and don't feel like opening my shell account just to do that.

Thanks again for the help.
04 Mar, 2009, Stormy wrote in the 4th comment:
print "Back\bspace vertical\vtab form\ffeed"

Bacspace vertical
tab form
feed
04 Mar, 2009, tphegley wrote in the 5th comment:
What's the point of /b?
04 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 6th comment:
You typically wouldn't send that to a client unless you were doing something clever with replacing text you already sent (think progress bars or something), but a client would send it to a server to indicate that the last character should be erased. In fact, in character mode, when you hit backspace you are literally sending a backspace code to the server.

This is why to be entirely correct, a MUD server needs to scan its input for \b characters and process them.
04 Mar, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 7th comment:
\0 = octal number
\e = escape aka \033 aka 0x1B. Acknowledge that \e is not supported on all platforms while \033 works on everything.
\t = tab

Unofficial, used in perl compatible regular expressions.

\c = control code, for example \ca which equals 'a' % 32
\x = hexadecimal number.
04 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
We're talking about ASCII control characters; \0, \c and \x aren't ASCII control characters.

EDIT: well, \0 is, but not in the way you used it.
04 Mar, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 9th comment:
Are we?

Igabod didn't mention that in his opening post, so no, we're not just talking about ASCII control characters.
04 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
Yes, we are, read posts 2 and 3. :rolleyes:
04 Mar, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 11th comment:
Nobody, nobody told me,
What nobody, nobody knows:
Hide thy face in a veil of light,
Put on thy silver shoes,
Thou art the Stranger I know best,
Thou art the sweet heart, who
Came from the land between Wake and Dream
Cold with the morning dew.
04 Mar, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 12th comment:
he asked what slashy thingies do, not what ascii control codes are.
04 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 13th comment:
I dunno, the context is pretty obvious to me from his initial question – sending a control code to the MUD client and hearing a beep – and the followup answers – especially the one following up the pointer to the, uh, ASCII control codes. :rolleyes: But, hey, whatever…
04 Mar, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 14th comment:
tphegley said:
What's the point of /b?

The ASCII standard was created for use with teletype equipment. The original terminals were not glass, but were in fact more like line printers (using fanfold paper) with keyboards. For hard-copy, a backspace allows you to emphasize things by re-striking them, or it allows you to overwrite things.

For glass terminals, backspace is used when editing…. you couldn't always rely on cursor movements being possible (you'll note that cursor movements are NOT part of the ASCII spec, they are ANSI sequences), but a backspace could get you leftward so you could erase or replace characters as you edited things.
04 Mar, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 15th comment:
Or more to the point, \b is required to get backspace working if someone connects with Windows telnet, or if you send the right telnet codes to push a telnet client into character mode. I believe those two sum it up.
04 Mar, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 16th comment:
Echo echo echo :tongue:
05 Mar, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 17th comment:
Scandum said:
Are we?

Igabod didn't mention that in his opening post, so no, we're not just talking about ASCII control characters.

Yes I was talking about ascii. That's the only thing that would relate to mud code and send_to_char right? I'm not trying to reprogram a terminal or anything fancy like that, just trying to figure out what all I can do with my mud.

[edit to remove a bunch of crap that I figured out was incorrect before I even finished re-reading it.]
0.0/17