06 Mar, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I'm looking for an FTP program to transfer files and folders to the server with my mud on it.

Who knows a newbie-friendly one thats free?
06 Mar, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 2nd comment:
i used to use smartftp.

now i only use scp/sftp (winscp for windows, uses a ssh connection)
06 Mar, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 3rd comment:
FileZilla.
06 Mar, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 4th comment:
I've always used ncftp under linux/bsd… For windoze, I used smartftp on occasion, but mostly I just transferred files via samba and then ftp'd them from my server.
06 Mar, 2009, Vassi wrote in the 5th comment:
I don't know how newbie friendly it might be, but i've recently started using Tunnelier. As a bonus it also opens a Terminal window.
06 Mar, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 6th comment:
I personally like filezilla. It has a simple interface and allows you to use an ssh connection as well as normal. It's pretty much as newbie friendly as it gets.
06 Mar, 2009, tphegley wrote in the 7th comment:
kiasyn said:
i used to use smartftp.

now i only use scp/sftp (winscp for windows, uses a ssh connection)

I use this to connect to my kitb.
06 Mar, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 8th comment:
In Windows, I also use WinSCP.

WinSCP

I also use Salamander, but not the winscp plugin, as then you can't edit files. For a quick tweak of a pfile or something similar, I find it easier to use FTP for editing if I'm not already logged into the shell. (While it sometimes seems it would be cool if one program did everything, often it's easier to let "windows" do what they do, and just bring an open window forward, rather than open a new interface in a program that's already being used for something else.)
06 Mar, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 9th comment:
Sandi said:
In Windows, I also use WinSCP.

WinSCP

Ditto.
06 Mar, 2009, Skol wrote in the 10th comment:
On OSX I use Fetch. Easy to use, allows chmod changes.
For most text/c/etc files I just use the FTP built into BBEdit.
06 Mar, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 11th comment:
I believe there's also a windows version of wget, which handles both ftp and http. Not sure about using it to put files though, never tried that.
24 Apr, 2009, Athanos wrote in the 12th comment:
Even though this post is a little old I thought I would give my 2 cents worth. Tunnelier is good. I have also used LeachFTP in tha past.
24 Apr, 2009, Banner wrote in the 13th comment:
I use SSH Secure Shell 3.2. Comes with a terminal window and a file transfer client. Simple interface and easy to use and set up different shell accounts with.
24 Apr, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 14th comment:
Well, they aren't free but I use VanDyke's SecureCRT (for connecting to the shell) and SecureFX (for file transfers). They're both great, allow for tabbed connections, and well worth the money if you're looking for something that's really easy to use.

The only problem I've had with them was fixing the initial settings in SecureCRT to not botch things being displayed in Nano. Other than that they're great.
24 Apr, 2009, Fizban wrote in the 15th comment:
I used to use WinSCP, was decent, prefer Filezilla, used it for the last two years since finding it.
24 Apr, 2009, Lancsta wrote in the 16th comment:
I'ved used coreftp for quite a while for pc. Works well I haven't had any issues to date. For MAC I've used Cyberduck.

Fizban likes sheep.
25 Apr, 2009, Fizban wrote in the 17th comment:
Fizban likes sheep.

You have me mistaken for Gavin, and even he only likes Henry.
28 Apr, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 18th comment:
I've just started using the ISUnlimited yesterday, and managed to connect and upload my code onto the server and get it running..

Today when I try to upload I get errors.. I've used a couple of different SFTP programs.. these are the error messages I get:

- When using WinSCP:
Copying files to remote side failed.

General failure (server should provide error description).
Error code: 4
Error message from server: Failure
Request code: 6

- When using Tunneler:
Transfer failed. Writing remote file failed: Operation failed.

Any suggestions?
29 Apr, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 19th comment:
Check that you didn't remove your own access to the files or something equally silly.

Otherwise, contact the host's support team.
29 Apr, 2009, boblinski wrote in the 20th comment:
How do I check if I have removed my own access to the files?

I've done some more investigating.. it appears that I can still download anything I like.. and I can upload .txt files.. but I cannot seem to upload any other type of file (ie: .h or .c)
0.0/38