01 Apr, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Ok, so i'm curious as to how to go about this because i know i could do it 1 of 2 ways.

A friend and i had designed a map builder in C that outputs a simple map based on your location.
its really not that difficult in the end, but it comes out being sort of static:
|
*-#-*

# being the player, * being the room, etc. you get the idea.

we've added different symbols and its been pretty accurate for Mobs and Shops and stuff.

but after checking out aardwolf and a few other popular muds it their maps make mine look like
crap. so, i'm trying to figure out how it is done. it seems that some are too complex to automate,
so does anyone know how this is done?

would i be able to draw out a map for each zone and then cut it up, then add in symbols dynamically? if so any suggestions on how that can be applied?
01 Apr, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 2nd comment:
Many of them use the extended drawing characters, which can make it look prettier. It's pretty easy to do. Same general algorithm as you're using, probably,just drawing it a little differently.

Trying to prerender the map and cut it up would just require more maintainence effort, probably no less code, and it wouldn't gain you anything.
01 Apr, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 3rd comment:
I dunno what Aardwolf's looks like or anything, but the one we have in SmaugFUSS might be worth looking at.
02 Apr, 2009, Davion wrote in the 4th comment:
You can check out the one in our repository that works quite nicely. It maps each room in a 3x3 square. Looks -very- nice in ascii ;). I also tossed one up in our pastebin that looks similar, although I think it uses a different algorithm. And the mapper I put in the pastebin along with this exploration snippet can let you shadow unexplored rooms.
0.0/4