14 Apr, 2009, Brinson wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I just picked up a dual cpu xeon 2.4ghz server with 2 gigs of ram on ebay for $10.50.

:D

Now I just gotta decide exactly what I'm going to do with it.
15 Apr, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 2nd comment:
whoa, nice.
15 Apr, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 3rd comment:
donate it to me.. i mean mudbytes
15 Apr, 2009, Guest wrote in the 4th comment:
Start a computer flipping business. Relist it on eBay for $100 :)
20 Apr, 2009, Brinson wrote in the 5th comment:
I turned it on and ran a live CD of opensolaris today.

What shocked me the most was how damn loud it was. It sounded like a vacuum.
20 Apr, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 6th comment:
Name the machine Ironic, and use it to bot-farm World of Warcraft gold to sell on ebay…..

*grin*
20 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
You could maybe replace the fans; relatively quiet fans are not hugely expensive. But servers are usually built without noise in mind since they're often stuck in a server room where noise doesn't really matter.
20 Apr, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 8th comment:
Only 2GB of RAM? The settops I build have more RAM than that. :p

David's right about the fans, ThermalTek and CoolerMaster both sell very quiet fans for low prices. When I can eventually get my hands on an affordable, high-capacity SSD drive (hopefully by the end of this year) my desktop computer will be practically silent despite being significantly faster than the server you just bought. Granted, my desktop machine is also made from all relatively new parts which are designed with low power consumptions in mind, unlike the older Xeon parts the server you bought likely uses.
21 Apr, 2009, Brinson wrote in the 9th comment:
elanthis said:
Only 2GB of RAM? The settops I build have more RAM than that. :p

David's right about the fans, ThermalTek and CoolerMaster both sell very quiet fans for low prices. When I can eventually get my hands on an affordable, high-capacity SSD drive (hopefully by the end of this year) my desktop computer will be practically silent despite being significantly faster than the server you just bought. Granted, my desktop machine is also made from all relatively new parts which are designed with low power consumptions in mind, unlike the older Xeon parts the server you bought likely uses.

I'm also sure you pad more than $10.

;)

I will prolly look into some silent fans.
21 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
You can get pretty good fans for $10 IIRC, and definitely less than $20-30. There's some amusement in the idea that you're doubling or tripling the purchase cost of the system by changing the fans, though. :wink:
21 Apr, 2009, Davion wrote in the 11th comment:
Brinson said:
I will prolly look into some silent fans.

Noctua sells some pretty damn quiet fans. My old PC used to house 7 fans, 6 were Noctua, and they made less noise than the one cpu fan going crazy.
24 Apr, 2009, Athanos wrote in the 12th comment:
David Haley said:
You can get pretty good fans for $10 IIRC, and definitely less than $20-30. There's some amusement in the idea that you're doubling or tripling the purchase cost of the system by changing the fans, though. :wink:

That is funny. It's kind of like a car my friend bought. He found a Porche for sales sometime back. It was listed in the paper for $100. Of course, he didn't think this was right and that the paper or the owner made a typo. He went to check out the car anyway. He asked the lady if there was a mistake in the listing price and how much she was really asking for the car. She said $100. The reason was that she was going through a divorce and her soon-to-be ex told her to sell the car and give him the money for it. My firend bought the car and then about 6 months later had to have most of the engine rebuilt. You can imagine that in the end the car was still worth an insane amount of money more than what he put into it.

Putting even a $50 fan in that server sounds like it is well worth it.
0.0/12