22 Apr, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
http://pandora.com

Internet radio based on the Music Genome Project, it's pretty cool and I predict that it's the next big thing.
22 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
It's been around for quite a while, if it's going to be the "next big thing", it hasn't made its impact in the past ~4 years yet :smile:

It is a cool product though. I'm just not sure about their business model.
22 Apr, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 3rd comment:
Dear Pandora Visitor,

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative.

We believe that you are in New Zealand (your IP address appears to be 120.136.2.22). If you believe we have made a mistake, we apologize and ask that you please contact us at pandora-support@pandora.com

If you are a paid subscriber, please contact us at pandora-support@pandora.com and we will issue a pro-rated refund to the credit card you used to sign up. If you have been using Pandora, we will keep a record of your existing stations and bookmarked artists and songs, so that when we are able to launch in your country, they will be waiting for you.

We will be notifying listeners as licensing agreements are established in individual countries. If you would like to be notified by email when Pandora is available in your country, please enter your email address below. The pace of global licensing is hard to predict, but we have the ultimate goal of being able to offer our service everywhere.

We share your disappointment and greatly appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,

Tim Westergen

Tim Westergren
Founder

yay.
22 Apr, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 4th comment:
Guess that's one of the few downsides of living in NZ.
22 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
Well, in this case it affects anybody not in the US, or rather, people whose IP address seems to come from outside the US.
22 Apr, 2009, Guest wrote in the 6th comment:
Leave it to the RIAA to utterly screw up what likely could have been a good thing. No wonder barely anyone knows about it. Hell, I'm in the US and this is the first time I've ever heard of it :)
23 Apr, 2009, Mabus wrote in the 7th comment:
Samson said:
Leave it to the RIAA to utterly screw up what likely could have been a good thing.

Screw the RIAA and their bastard child SoundExchange.

Got a bill introduced in the House and Senate to roll back the internet royalty rates, and to allow the copyright owners the freedom to choose, but it died with last session and has not been reintroduced (that I know of).

As a musician I am appalled that SoundExchange is legally able to collect royalties on music I create without my permission or any contract, and then to give me only 40% of what they collect.

Grrrr…
23 Apr, 2009, Lyanic wrote in the 8th comment:
Scandum said:
http://pandora.com

Internet radio based on the Music Genome Project, it's pretty cool and I predict that it's the next big thing.

That made me laugh out loud - hard. Thanks :tongue:

P.S. You're way behind the times.
23 Apr, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 9th comment:
I'm not sure that this music genome thing has much value. As a test I typed in Alex Harvey, and it started playing crap by someone named Bob Mould. I expect many genomes might well defy classification. Of course it couldn't play this anyway due to license problems.
23 Apr, 2009, Banner wrote in the 10th comment:
I typed in Three Days Grace and it started playing a bunch of songs by other artists I like, as well as some I'd never heard before but like now. I also use the Pandora app for my ipod touch. Definetly something I like and will keep using.
23 Apr, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 11th comment:
Tyche said:
I'm not sure that this music genome thing has much value. As a test I typed in Alex Harvey, and it started playing crap by someone named Bob Mould. I expect many genomes might well defy classification. Of course it couldn't play this anyway due to license problems.

You can fine tune the algorithm by using the thumbs up and down option for individual songs, though I'm not sure how well this works in practice.
23 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
It works kindasorta. Calling it a "genome" is really exaggerating a bit. It's more like some dude gave the song some attributes it has (like, "female vocalist") and then you get other songs with the same attribute (like, another song with "female vocalist"). A few other attributes help to make it a not completely wild match, but you occasionally get odd matches. Still, on the whole, it does an ok job of staying in a general genre.

Personally I have some five or six stations based on genre, and then use their quickmix feature to play them all randomly. It works fairly well, even though I get the impression that the same songs keep coming up, and only very rarely does something new (or rarely heard) come up. I wonder if it has to do with how many songs they have matching my criteria.
23 Apr, 2009, Lyanic wrote in the 13th comment:
Scandum said:
Tyche said:

You can fine tune the algorithm by using the thumbs up and down option for individual songs, though I'm not sure how well this works in practice.

It works very well if you give it multiple seeds and have the patience to thumb up/down hundreds of songs. Over the years, I've built up several stations that consistently play nothing but songs I like, including numerous songs I'd never even heard of before. I think the last dozen or so CDs I actually bought were of bands I discovered from Pandora.
23 Apr, 2009, Zenn wrote in the 14th comment:
After using it for about 45 minutes, I found that I knew just about every song it was playing on the station I'd created, even if I didn't remember what it was called.

Pretty nifty little gadget. I'd say it's got potential.
29 Apr, 2009, sasuke wrote in the 15th comment:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet.

If your outside of the US, you can still listen to Pandora radio if you go through US proxies.

Cheers!
29 Apr, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 16th comment:
See post #5 please. :smile:
29 Apr, 2009, Kelvin wrote in the 17th comment:
I have found last.fm to be a much superior alternative. Just opinion, I guess.
0.0/17