02 Jul, 2009, Heykevo wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
On our mud server, we do not have GDB installed nor can we get the admin to install it. We do not have root permissions. Of course, this makes debugging rather tedious and near impossible in certain situations. Has anyone seen or heard of a portable GDB app that I can FTP in and execute that will not require a full install?

Or any other suggestions?
02 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
Sorry, I haven't heard of such a thing. What I would suggest would be to run your own Linux environment using either AndLinux or a virtual machine; it's not perfect, and you'll have to be able to reproduce your crashes, but at least you'll have a sane environment.

(What kind of admin won't install gdb…??)
02 Jul, 2009, Runter wrote in the 3rd comment:
I think you really just need to demand he install it. :P If you have gcc installed then it just makes sense to have a debugger installed otherwise you aren't going to be able to effectively debug at all.
02 Jul, 2009, Runter wrote in the 4th comment:
You can always transfer the core over to a system that does have gdb installed. (I think. :P)
02 Jul, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 5th comment:
I can't think of any reason you can't install gdb in your homedir.

However, f you have to ask, then doing so and running it from there is
probably beyond your skillset.

So yeah, yer admin is a problem.

But it won't kill you to read the gdb docs to see how to install it local to you.

-Crat
02 Jul, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 6th comment:
Find another host.
02 Jul, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 7th comment:
Cratylus said:
I can't think of any reason you can't install gdb in your homedir.

If gdb isn't installed on the system, odds are the debugging versions of the system libraries are also not installed. Without those, debugging becomes very very tedious.
02 Jul, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 8th comment:
GDB is still very useful without system debugging libraries.
03 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
Compiling it from scratch might not be terribly easy, though, because there might be a whole bunch of dependencies.

I would agree with other posters and suggest that you figure out why exactly the admin doesn't want to install it (that's just stupid…) and if s/he refuses to do so, seriously consider changing hosts. Even if you need something free, there are plenty of free hosts out there. Refusing to install gdb without a very good reason is, to me, an indication of an incompetent systems administrator, or if not incompetent, completely hostile to or ignorant of users' needs. No matter how you look at it, it's a lousy place to be. :wink:
03 Jul, 2009, Runter wrote in the 10th comment:
David Haley said:
Compiling it from scratch might not be terribly easy, though, because there might be a whole bunch of dependencies.

I would agree with other posters and suggest that you figure out why exactly the admin doesn't want to install it (that's just stupid…) and if s/he refuses to do so, seriously consider changing hosts. Even if you need something free, there are plenty of free hosts out there. Refusing to install gdb without a very good reason is, to me, an indication of an incompetent systems administrator, or if not incompetent, completely hostile to or ignorant of users' needs. No matter how you look at it, it's a lousy place to be. :wink:

Agreed.
03 Jul, 2009, Heykevo wrote in the 11th comment:
Thanks for the suggestions. It's not my mud and I don't know the host admin or the situation in which the mud sits, so my hands are tied. It's beyond me at the moment, but I'm slowly working towards it. No biggie. I've been out of the game for nearly six years and am just picking up the hobby again.
16 Jul, 2009, Heykevo wrote in the 12th comment:
So I logged in today to find that GDB had been installed yesterday. Yay server admin, whoever you are. Now I'm removing the signal handler and updating the mud to handle core files. I did a simple divide by zero crash in order to test, but I can only get the core to drop when I execute the mud manually. When using the startup script, it does not. I believe it's the basic ROM startup script.

if ( -e shutdown.txt ) rm -f shutdown.txt
set index = 1000
while ( 1 )
set index = 1000
while ( 1 )
set logfile = ../log/$index.log
if ( ! -e $logfile ) break
@ index++
end
echo LOGFILE is $logfile
../src/rom 5001 >&! $logfile
if ( -e shutdown.txt ) then
exit 0
endif

sleep 7
end

Any suggestions to get the core to drop in conjunction with using the startup script?

I get this when I execute manually:

[1]+  Floating point exception(core dumped) ../src/rom 5001

But I only get this when I execute via script:

Floating exception

and no core.
0.0/12