03 Jul, 2009, Avaeryn wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I've been out of the loop for several months now. Due to a lot of changes in life (layoff, starting school again, etc.) I find that I have more time on my hands now.

What's been going on with Ram as of late? It sort of looks like the old girl has fallen by the wayside. Please, tell me it ain't so!!! :cry:
03 Jul, 2009, Runter wrote in the 2nd comment:
It appears that way. Although, a lot of what the project set out to accomplish was indeed accomplished.

edit: I'm currently involved in working on my own codebase in Ruby.
03 Jul, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 3rd comment:
So which release is the finished product of the project? I've been waiting for it to be finished for a while now so that I can give it a look. None of the things in the RAM portion of the repository looks like it is the final release, by the names they all look like just portions of the code.
03 Jul, 2009, Davion wrote in the 4th comment:
http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=file...

The featured code on that page should be the latest release.
03 Jul, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 5th comment:
The description says that it's only one portion of the project, I'm looking for the culmination of all sides of the project in one release.
17 Oct, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 6th comment:
Woo! :biggrin: Alright what's going on with the RaM project currently? I've been unable to register for a few days and have been dying to join the project. I read that RaM Fire has been started but can't find it anywhere for download. Where is the current development?

Sadly my current knowledge of C is limited and I do not know C++ (yet). However I've a good amount of spare time and a decent base knowledge of code tinkering. While at first I had only interest in the Ice project the idea of C++ seems better for whatever reason. Even if only to use it as a "Better C."

I'm fully willing to switch to learning C++ and buy some books on it though I first had some questions about it. What are your thoughts on both C and C++ concerning MUDs? Are there any limitations to a C MUD that C++ solves, or advancements/advantages to having it in C++? If learning C++ would complicate MUD coding needlessly, I find it silly to make the switch. However if there was a real functional reason for the switch then definitely. Since I'm sure you have reasons for switching from Ice to Fire, I'm just interested in what they are.
05 Nov, 2009, Avaeryn wrote in the 7th comment:
Mudder

Sorry that you haven't received a response in regards to RaM. It appears our little project is in limbo at the current time. Feel free to download one of the versions and tinker with it, though. There was quite a bit of discussion on the pros/cons of C versus C++. Since I am not a coder, I can't address those specifically.

Once again, sorry. Best of luck with your coding adventures though!
05 Nov, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 8th comment:
Mudder said:
I'm fully willing to switch to learning C++ and buy some books on it though I first had some questions about it. What are your thoughts on both C and C++ concerning MUDs? Are there any limitations to a C MUD that C++ solves, or advancements/advantages to having it in C++? If learning C++ would complicate MUD coding needlessly, I find it silly to make the switch. However if there was a real functional reason for the switch then definitely. Since I'm sure you have reasons for switching from Ice to Fire, I'm just interested in what they are.

This response may be a little late as well, but maybe it will help:
C++ is a superset of C, meaning: C++ can do whatever C can do with little to no modifications. There are a few keywords or reserved words such as 'new' and 'delete'
that are not used in C, as well as 'class' which some Diku based muds require changing to 'klass' or something of that nature to be compatible. C++ was designed
to add more Object Oriented capabilities, and to make complex issues easier to deal with. It's Standard Template Library (STL) is very large and provides the ability
of Generic Programming through templates. I could go on and on, and some of the more experienced might correct me on certain things as I am not a C++ expert.
Suffice it to say, the authors of RaM apparently (like myself) found these additional features desirable and sought out to take full advantage of them. Because RaM
is a derivative of the Diku family, it was originally written in C. So, if you are wanting to write in C++, it is likely that RaM may still have a large amount of C code intact.
That's what C++ was meant to do, it is muliti-paradigm, it does not force the programmer to choose the style of programming, they can sort of 'mix' them together (although
this may not always be recommended) So, it could be viewed as "Better C" for certain implementations. A mud is a large app, so features like 'encapsulation' and
'inheritance' go a long way in improving scalability.

I would recommend learning as much C as you can to feel comfortable with making minor changes. Learn about OOP and C++ as you go. It may be awhile before you can
make any interesting changes, but stick with it, and pretty soon you will be glad you did.
Best wishes. :smile:
05 Nov, 2009, Runter wrote in the 9th comment:
Are there any limitations to a C MUD that C++ solves, or advancements/advantages to having it in C++? If learning C++ would complicate MUD coding needlessly, I find it silly to make the switch. However if there was a real functional reason for the switch then definitely.

The short answer is yes. C++ has more features than C. Are there reasons for someone to possible use C over C++ in projects? Yes. Are there reasons for you to? Perhaps (and perhaps not), but none that actually outweigh the need to learn C++ regardless of what you use. Especially since C++ is a superset.
08 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 10th comment:
Thanks for the replies, I had thought this part of the forum dead. Since my old post I decided to switch to C++ and have been using RaM fire as my starting point.
09 Nov, 2009, Davion wrote in the 11th comment:
Mudder said:
Thanks for the replies, I had thought this part of the forum dead. Since my old post I decided to switch to C++ and have been using RaM fire as my starting point.

If you have any advancements in RaM Fire that could benefit everyone feel free to submit!
05 Dec, 2009, ghasatta wrote in the 12th comment:
Hi, I haven't been able to check mudbytes for a while. Fire is not really actively being worked on. I was a contributor but have not had the time lately to continue working on it very much (and don't see myself having very much time going forward).

However, I'll be happy to help out when I can with troubleshooting, etc. If there is still a problem feel free to PM/email me! ghasatta@gmail.com

P.S. Knowing that people are using it and interested in seeing Fire grow will definitely help attract people to the effort!
05 Dec, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 13th comment:
Thanks ghastta.

Yeah the fire is feeling a bit lonely at the moment, thus I am taking my sweet time with it. Once I have things looking nice I'll do an upload. Mostly bug fixes/aesthetic changes.

Certainly if anyone wanted to jump aboard… :cool:
12 Jan, 2010, kazeus wrote in the 14th comment:
I'll jump. Grabbed a copy of the dev branch from the svn repository. I'd like to try my hand at dealing with the easier bug fixes. What's a n00b gotta do to get changes committed? Upload a patch to the MudBytes code repository?

Are Quix's Bug Bucket and the distribution TODO still current? Are there other places people've been using to track bugs / annoyances / feature requests that I haven't found yet?

Mudder, what have you been working on?
13 Jan, 2010, Runter wrote in the 15th comment:
The project wasn't to add any features per se. Only to clean up and bug fix. I think it serves a project well to avoid scope creep too much. Although, I'm sure there's room for a spinoff project for more features as well. :)
13 Jan, 2010, quixadhal wrote in the 16th comment:
Yes, I think the original idea was to add in the most commonly added things to make life simpler for folks who want to download a ROM-style game and start building. So, OLC was at the top of the list, as was ANSI colour support, and a couple other things that escape me now. Before that though, we wanted to debug things and clean the code up to be easier to follow and extend.

The cleanup, I think, went fairly well. The debugging was going along nicely, and converting to C++ was also a way of cleaning out a lot of cruft in the form of temporary buffers and linked-list management.

One suggestion I have, for whomever wants to run with this, is to keep the source format consistent. You'll note there is a .indent.pro file, which all the source has been run through. If you don't like the settings, fine, but keeping it consistent makes it much easier to follow and patch for future authors. Also, if you know a good C++ indent program, let me know…. I couldn't find a really good one.

Good luck!
13 Jan, 2010, Kline wrote in the 17th comment:
quixadhal said:
Also, if you know a good C++ indent program, let me know…. I couldn't find a really good one.

Yes please. This is one of the current issues I am having with my own project.
13 Jan, 2010, bbailey wrote in the 18th comment:
Kline said:
quixadhal said:
Also, if you know a good C++ indent program, let me know…. I couldn't find a really good one.

I've heard astyle mentioned here and there. No idea if it's 'really good' – it works, but even gnu indent with C isn't a panacea.
27 Apr, 2010, Mudder wrote in the 19th comment:
kazeus said:
I'll jump. Grabbed a copy of the dev branch from the svn repository. I'd like to try my hand at dealing with the easier bug fixes. What's a n00b gotta do to get changes committed? Upload a patch to the MudBytes code repository?

Are Quix's Bug Bucket and the distribution TODO still current? Are there other places people've been using to track bugs / annoyances / feature requests that I haven't found yet?

Mudder, what have you been working on?

Sorry I never saw this until right now. Some things are still current on the TODO, any changes I made were typed out.

Once I started moving again I mean to get started on google code as Ghasatta recommended. Expect more on this in about 5 days.
27 Jul, 2010, Kjwah wrote in the 20th comment:
Kline said:
quixadhal said:

I've always found that it's just better to do it all by hand. At least for me, I can never get the rules set for the way I'd like it done and always have to backtrack to format my code. :D

Solution: Don't use someone elses code. :p

edit: holy crap, I need to look at post dates. :( Guess I like old vajayjay
0.0/21