25 Jan, 2007, gazzy123 wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
anyone know how to get other languages characters to be accepted as input and output?
like some swedish chars. åäö

cannot figure it out :/
25 Jan, 2007, Conner wrote in the 2nd comment:
use their direct ascii values?
25 Jan, 2007, Guest wrote in the 3rd comment:
If you're talking about accepting them as I/O to the mud, that's going to depend on several factors:

• The operating system

• The mud client

• The codebase itself

The codebase is the easiest one to check. In comm.c, for most Diku derivs, you should have the read_from_buffer function which has near the end of it a call to is_print() which will drop any characters from input which aren't printable. This usually drops anything above ASCII 127.

Fixing the OS and the mud client may be out of the question, but they play an important role in whether or not you'll be able to support what you need. What OS and mud client are you using?
25 Jan, 2007, Scandum wrote in the 4th comment:
I think MERC strips 'm by default. So you could check the input handler for the isascii() or isprint() checks.
25 Jan, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 5th comment:
I'm actually a little curious about this myself, I've been looking to do something similar to my SMAUG Deriv, Obscurities. I've yet to come across a way to do it yet, though I must admit, I haven't tried all that hard, due to family issues, and other slightly more important projects.
25 Jan, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 6th comment:
Understand that the Telnet protocol only supports 7-bit ascii, unless Binary or Extended ASCII are negotiated. And as Scandum suggested, many servers strip the 8th bit off, and so do many Mud clients as well. All Telnet clients certainly would.

Edit: I should have said Telnet clients would both strip codes and process certain 8-bit codes as Telnet commands.
0.0/6