16 Sep, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
Looks nice, and I could see a JavaScript client work particularly well running it in Chrome in application mode. Also cool to see another MSDP enabled client, added your site to its spec page.
20 Sep, 2009, Stendec wrote in the 42nd comment:
At the danger of talking about my own stuff too much, I've released jMUD v0.5 tonight after a few days of working on a particularly stubborn feature. That feature? MXP support. I don't know if any other web clients support it, but I thought it'd be a good thing to have. Screenshot: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/Stendec/MUD/WebMXP-2.png
20 Sep, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 43rd comment:
Stendec said:
Just recently I've started writing a web-based MUD client that's implemented with JavaScript, only using a tiny (2KB) Flash file to provide a socket, as JavaScript cannot use sockets itself. It uses jQuery, and in the spirit of starting things with j, I named it jMUD.

Nice! I did the same thing and called it Cloud9, but never got it past the basics. 99% of my hates the Web since it's what I work with all day for my day job. ;)

What license is jMuD under? I don't see a mention of it on your site.
20 Sep, 2009, Stendec wrote in the 44th comment:
elanthis said:
Nice! I did the same thing and called it Cloud9, but never got it past the basics. 99% of my hates the Web since it's what I work with all day for my day job. ;)

What license is jMuD under? I don't see a mention of it on your site.

jMUD is under the MIT license. All I ask is that you let me know if you use it. I think it's cool when people use stuff I've written.
20 Sep, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 45th comment:
Good choice – same license I use for most stuff. :)

I'm very interested in extending and using it. A ZMP plugin is pretty much mandatory for my uses, so I'll start there, I guess. It'll be some time though due to the school eating up all my free time and then some.
20 Sep, 2009, Stendec wrote in the 46th comment:
elanthis said:
I'm very interested in extending and using it. A ZMP plugin is pretty much mandatory for my uses, so I'll start there, I guess. It'll be some time though due to the school eating up all my free time and then some.

Actually, I just wrote a ZMP plugin. Check it out at: jmud.zmp.js

I'm going to release v0.6 soon, with support for multiple output elements and a way to specify the order that it loads plugins.
23 Sep, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 47th comment:
Out of interest, has anyone played around with the idea of a mud client facebook application?

Not that I expect existing mudders to have much interest in playing through facebook, but there are a lot of mediocre games on there that are pretty popular (Farm Town, which as far as I can see is all grind and no gameplay, claims to have drawn in 3 million users in 2 months).
23 Sep, 2009, Orrin wrote in the 48th comment:
KaVir said:
Out of interest, has anyone played around with the idea of a mud client facebook application?

I looked at it briefly and it's possible to embed a Flash client as a facebook app fairly easily although at the time I found their API difficult to get to grips with (this was a while ago so things may have changed for the better since). I also had it running as a google gadget and I'm sure you could put it in Myspace and a bunch of other places that can take Flash content. I can't remember offhand but I am sure I've seen some specific muds with facebook groups that include a client for their game.

One idea I had for Mudgamers was to do a version of the Flash client with a game list frontend that I could put on Kongregate, Facebook, etc. which would act as a generic mud portal so you could select your game and play immediately. Unfortunately I just don't have the time to put into something like that at the moment, not to mention if it got a zillion hits my server might explode.

I'm not sure why places like TMC or TMS don't do this though, although perhaps driving visitors to individual muds doesn't directly benefit them enough, but I still think as a general "raising awareness of muds" it would be a good thing.
23 Sep, 2009, Koron wrote in the 49th comment:
TMC used to have a web-based client, though you had to scroll through the full list of muds to find the one you wanted if you were looking for one in particular. I assume it's still there, but I don't make a habit of being on computers without telnet.
23 Sep, 2009, Orrin wrote in the 50th comment:
Koron said:
TMC used to have a web-based client, though you had to scroll through the full list of muds to find the one you wanted if you were looking for one in particular. I assume it's still there, but I don't make a habit of being on computers without telnet.

Yeah they still have a java client AFAIK, but I meant taking their web client and putting it into places like Facebook, Kongregate, Myspace etc. There's nothing stopping individual games doing this of course, I just think that it would be more effective coming from an established and popular MUD portal site.
23 Sep, 2009, ATT_Turan wrote in the 51st comment:
There was a thread by someone who made a Facebook app for their MUD and said they'd gotten a good amount of traffic from it - I kinda thought was here, but it might've been on TMC.
23 Sep, 2009, Hyper_Eye wrote in the 52nd comment:
Ssolvarain said:
Honestly, I think doing what KaVir did, package gmud with mud info included, is the wisest course to bring in newer players. Many players I've talked to over the years have started with Gmud. The ones who prefer automation and customization tend to go on to Mushclient or Zmud. I've used Mushclient for its timed triggers alone, but I've personally never needed anything as complex as zmud. I think the source for Gmud is available, anyone know why there hasn't been a newer version of it made up with a few advanced features?

I was pondering it, and it occurred to me that it might be worthwhile to possibly set up a page on here with information about how you connect to a mud and downloads/links/info for the various clients.

I am not a regular Windows user but I have had the GMud source stored for years. At one time I did add scrollwheel support and I fixed some of the crash bugs. I have thought many times about adding compression and releasing something with those changes. It is somewhere on my list of things I would like to do. The conditions of the code release is that it cannot be called GMud and credit has to be given. Other than that you can do what you want with it. It only compiles with MSVC6 and there would be a good bit of work involved in getting it to compile with MSVC2005/8. But you could completely customize it to your MUD if you wanted to.

Here is the originally released zip file that I have stored: http://www.huntsvegas.org/files/gmud_sou...

This is the original zip file and does not include any of my changes as I don't want to break the terms of use (I would have to change the name of it to provide those changes.) Enjoy. Please follow the instructions in the included readme. I will not be in anyway responsible if someone fails to provide proper credit or adhere to the agreement contained within.
23 Sep, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 53rd comment:
GMud is public domain; where do these restrictions come from Hyper_Eye?

(We're talking about this GMud right?)
23 Sep, 2009, Hyper_Eye wrote in the 54th comment:
David Haley said:
GMud is public domain; where do these restrictions come from Hyper_Eye?

(We're talking about this GMud right?)

No. This is a very popular Winsock MUD client that is much older than that project. They are not the same. Also, the project you linked to is a Visual Basic application and this is not.

Here is the final release (pre-compiled): http://soul.huntsvegas.org/gmd3219b.zip

That is newer than the source code I posted. The developer lost the code to the final release in a hard drive crash. You won't notice much difference between whats in the code and this though. A lot of people know and use this client. It is a good and fast client. Unfortunately the fact that it hasn't been developed in the last decade means it lacks support for many of the things you would find in a modern client.
40.0/54