30 Nov, 2009, Greyankh wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I'm having a bit of difficulty.

I'm trying to get my domain email situated.

I have a domain that I parked on a free web host. You can view the page from either the domain or the host account.

Now, when I try to do something like email admin@avernasia.net, I can't find where that goes. I can configure gmail to search other pop emails, and I can't seem to retrieve anything sent to that address.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Grey
30 Nov, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 2nd comment:
You need to setup an MX record pointing at your server. Your server needs to have SMTP and pop3 services running
30 Nov, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 3rd comment:
Your domain handler should provide that info for you, if it gives you free email accounts. If not, you may just have to have it forward to a Gmail account.
30 Nov, 2009, bbailey wrote in the 4th comment:
Zeno said:
Your domain handler should provide that info for you, if it gives you free email accounts. If not, you may just have to have it forward to a Gmail account.

As an alternative, I've had no problem hosting domain email services through Google Apps Standard Edition, for free, to provide a gmail interface for my domains. I'm not sure if it's still possible today, but at one point I was even able to host email for dyndns/etc domains that I used.
30 Nov, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 5th comment:
Just a note, in case your ISP is as evil and backwards as mine (Charter Communications)….

MY beloved ISP blocks incoming connections to port 25 (the SMTP port), out of some mistaken notion that this will somehow stop spammers. All it does is prevent mail delivery to my local mail server, since if I want to spam I'll just make as many outgoing connections as I want to other mail servers.

The reason that's bad…. the MX record doesn't allow you to specify an alternate port for mail delivery. Back when the standard was written, nobody imagined a need to use any other port… it's a mail server! So, when you send mail to my domain, it has to go to a friend's machine that's hosted on a different ISP, and I have to pull it down using fetchmail.
0.0/5