30 Mar, 2007, Mabus wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey there,

A friend of mine has a Windows server and has allowed me to host my non-MUD related (I am a musician as well as a coder, go figure) website there. Thing is, it is a Windows-based server and he does all the admin through a seperate hosting site. Now that is all fine and dandy for him, but I would prefer to be able to update my site as new performance dates roll in or as new songs/CD's become available instead of having to contact him for updates or beg his username and password off of him.

Is there software that he can install on his server that will allow limited access to specific people for html editing and upload? I know there is, but I am so familiar with *nix-based that I am at a loss. Something along the lines of Plesk or CPanel maybe, or any software with the ability to edit so I do not have to bug him for updating.

Would prefer it be free/cheap and decently secure. Like to be able to login from a my domain or domain dedicated IP directly without having to go through his host-provider.

Any thoughts, questions, ideas and suggestions appreciated.
30 Mar, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 2nd comment:
an FTP server?
31 Mar, 2007, Guest wrote in the 3rd comment:
It all depends on how the windows box and the web server on it are running. You'll probably need to contact the admin and ask if FTP or some other methods are available to you on that site.
31 Mar, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 4th comment:
You could use a combination of a file upload script and a cms or wiki script.

A friend recently showed me wiki on a stick:

http://stickwiki.sourceforge.net/

Though I'd reccomend something like Joomla or one of the other hundreds of CMSs. You should check out http://www.opensourcecms.com/
02 Apr, 2007, Mabus wrote in the 5th comment:
Thanks all for the replies.

What I was wanting was software the server admin could intall to allow me to log in and edit existing html (and other) files.

Say for example I want to add a link without having to ftp the whole page back in. In Linux I would log into the server, pico it up and presto, changed website.

Never worked with Windows servers much before, so I just feel a little constrained. I suppose I could just upload the changed pages, but would prefer a browser-based interface for on-server file alteration. I know I have used Plesk (and other browser-based software) for website alteration and was wondering if anything similar (or even better) was around that anyone would recommend.
02 Apr, 2007, Conner wrote in the 6th comment:
Just tell him you need telnet and edlin… :tongue:
02 Apr, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 7th comment:
I've used pcAnywhere for years.
Optionally if your friend sets up an ftp server like FileZilla, he can set you up with your own id and home directory.
Many Windows text editors (MultiEdit, UltraEdit, etc.) can be configured to save and load transparently via FTP.
02 Apr, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 8th comment:
I also found this which may be interresting: http://www.scriptdungeon.com/script.php?...

Of course an ftp server is preferable, but that's not always possible in all scenarios (especially with free hosting).
02 Apr, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 9th comment:
02 Apr, 2007, Conner wrote in the 10th comment:
Still say you just need to have him reinstall edlin for you, it came with DOS up to version 3.2… and telnet or ssh would let you 'shell' in to use it. :wink:
0.0/10