16 Dec, 2009, Brinson wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I've been toying with a few CLI clients such as tintin++ and tinyfugue, but I can't get either of them to do something every GUI client I've ever used does, which is…

When I type something, like, east into my client, and I spam the enter key 10 times, east goes in 10 times. Took me a total of 11 keystrokes to move 10 rooms.Without this feature I am stuck typing e;enter;enter;enter, ie, 20 keystrokes for the same movement. Its really tiring, and annoying. Is there any CLI client that can store most recently sent text in the buffer, and clear it only when I start typing, like GUI clients do?
16 Dec, 2009, Grumny wrote in the 2nd comment:
I don't know if this will help you or not, but I use TF myself and don't like hitting lots of keys to move around. What I've done is make a macro for each of the directions.

ctrl-i for north
ctrl-j for west
ctrl-k for south
ctrl-l for east

This will let me move around very quickly and with a minimum of key strokes.

TF also does have a command memory, you use the up-arrow key to scroll through recent commands, not very useful for movement, but for other stuff it can be.
16 Dec, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 3rd comment:
In tintin++ you use: #config {repeat enter} on to enable this functionality.
16 Dec, 2009, Brinson wrote in the 4th comment:
Scandum said:
In tintin++ you use: #config {repeat enter} on to enable this functionality.

Sweet. I've been wanting this in a command line client for a while. Didn't actually think it existed for some reason. My netbook screen is tiny and a gui mud client just wastes space. CLI ones work sooo much better on the small screen.
16 Dec, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 5th comment:
In tinyfugue:

;;; Arrow keys
/def -ib'^In tinyfugue:

;;; Arrow keys
/def -ib'^[OA' = /DOKEY RECALLB
/def -ib'^[OB' = /DOKEY RECALLF
;;; Tab completion
/def -ib'^I' = /complete

and for repeating commands:

/repeat -n <time-delay> <times> command

So to run 12 steps east with .25 second delays, you'd use /repeat -n -0.25 12 e

Obviously, you could make macros to do common things more quickly.
16 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 6th comment:
See, that's one of the problems with command-line clients: a lot of stuff is possible, if only you know the right (relatively arcane) incantation to make the up arrow recall history…
16 Dec, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 7th comment:
I would guess a command is a lot easier than going through three menus in order to get anything done, especially when you're working with a touch pad.

Tintin emulates most of readline by default, but to set it yourself you'd use:

#macro {\eOA} {#cursor history prev} and if you're on an unusual platform you can press ctrl-v to record the next key press.

TF's syntax looks somewhat intimidating, using -a..Z is an interesting way to deal with information storage, MC's xml format is another way to go about it, which doesn't translate too well to a CLI.

My approach with TT was to strip out all featurism, going from 160 commands to 70, I think it has about 85 commands currently.
16 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
Scandum said:
MC's xml format is another way to go about it, which doesn't translate too well to a CLI.

What does a storage format have to do with the client being CLI or GUI?
16 Dec, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 9th comment:
David Haley said:
See, that's one of the problems with command-line clients: a lot of stuff is possible, if only you know the right (relatively arcane) incantation to make the up arrow recall history…

Is trying to figure what key MushClient uses to recall history any less or more arcane?
I don't think so.
16 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
Tyche said:
Is trying to figure what key MushClient uses to recall history any less or more arcane?
I don't think so.

I wasn't making a statement about MUSHclient vs. anything else; I was making a statement about CLI clients. That said, MUSHclient follows the same convention that any other command-line interface uses (command shells, readline, …), so I don't understand what insight you're bringing to the table or what point you're trying to make.
16 Dec, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 11th comment:
David Haley said:
I wasn't making a statement about MUSHclient vs. anything else; I was making a statement about CLI clients. That said, MUSHclient follows the same convention that any other command-line interface uses (command shells, readline, …), so I don't understand what insight you're bringing to the table or what point you're trying to make.

The point is that the statement is nonsense.
So what's the non-arcane incantation to set the UP arrow key to recall history in MushClient?
16 Dec, 2009, Twisol wrote in the 12th comment:
It does by default. Did you, perhaps, enable "No command echo" at the bottom of the Display menu dropdown?
16 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 13th comment:
Precisely – MUSHclient gives you features that many other input-based systems give you as the default. Many CLI clients are stuck in the mode of "well it's possible and here's how you do it", instead of giving a 'sane' set of defaults in the first place. I insist though that my initial comment had little to do with MUSHclient in particular; this is a common problem with CLI programs across the spectrum of computing, where they assume too much about how willing people are to look into complex option sets to figure out how to do something that feels simple.
16 Dec, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 14th comment:
So just answer the question then. You're a long time user of MushClient.
How do I set the UP arrow to recall history?
16 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 15th comment:
Tyche said:

You've been given the answer multiple times. Either you're ignoring the answer or you're not participating in good faith. This is a waste of time.
16 Dec, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 16th comment:
David Haley said:
Tyche said:

You've been given the answer multiple times. Either you're ignoring the answer or you're not participating in good faith. This is a waste of time.

You aren't answering the question at all. You're evading it.
16 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 17th comment:
Which part of "it's the default" is unclear to you, Tyche?
16 Dec, 2009, Orrin wrote in the 18th comment:
While I hate to interrupt Tyche mid-Paxman, I had the exact same problem in mushclient only yesterday. I couldn't work out why I wasn't able to recall command history in one particular MUD and it turned out that I needed to enable the "ignore echo off messages" option. Whether that would have been more straightforward in a CLI client I couldn't say.
16 Dec, 2009, Twisol wrote in the 19th comment:
So it could be either of these two things:

A) You need to set "Ignore Echo Off messages" in Game -> Configure -> Commands

B) You need to un-check "No command echo" in Display.

A is, IMO, more of an issue with something the MUD is sending, though I couldn't say whether it's the MUD misbehaving or if it's MUSH.
16 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 20th comment:
Orrin said:
I couldn't work out why I wasn't able to recall command history in one particular MUD and it turned out that I needed to enable the "ignore echo off messages" option.

One of MUSHclient's "problems" is that it tends to assume that the server is behaving correctly. If a server sends the telnet echo-off instruction, MUSHclient will stop saving history on the presumption that you're entering passwords or other sensitive information. The consequence is that if the server forgets to turn echo back on, MUSHclient will (by default) stop saving command history.

Orrin said:
mid-Paxman

0.0/79