23 Jan, 2010, vinc456 wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I'm trying to get fiddle around with the mud client Lyntin but I can't figure out how to install it without root permission. The mailing list and project is dead and I'm hoping a Python programmer might be able to lend me a hand.

The setuptools install fails because the link to the python egg was moved and I don't know how to fix it. I ended up installing the lyntin package from the Debian repository but having everything installed in system directories makes modifying code difficult. Ideally there will be a single directory that contains all things Lyntin.

I'm running Debian Etch, Linux 2.6.26-1-686, and have Python 2.5.2 installed.

The file of most concern is INSTALL.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
23 Jan, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
You can extract the files from the .deb using the dpkg tools (don't remember how, though). You would then need to figure out what files it has; chances are that it'll have something that needs to go on your path (into ~/bin for instance) and then a bunch of Python modules. You will need those Python modules to be on your PYTHONPATH (or is it PYTHON_PATH…) so that Python can find them at runtime.

If this is your computer, it might be much easier to install it all as root, and then (as root) chown the code files you want to edit to yourself so that you can edit them. You could also symlink to the directory from your home directory to make accessing things more convenient.
23 Jan, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 3rd comment:
You don't really need the egg at all. Just take the important parts of the package (/lyntin and /scripts) from the tar and put it wherever you want, maybe a /bin directory in your home directory. Then execute the script however.

On Windows 'python setup.py' also works but I'm not sure how that works on linux.
0.0/3