07 Feb, 2010, Fevenis wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
So, typical newbie wanting to start a mud server. I was hoping for some advice on what server/codebase would be easy to used based on your experience? My friend and I are looking to put something up that is already developed, and then add/tweak our own ideas and systems. The two things I am mainly looking for is the ability to support alot of people, and also one that allows for commercial use.

Thanks =).
07 Feb, 2010, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
Read this: http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpos...

Anything that you are familiar with and that is stable is a good choice.
07 Feb, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 3rd comment:
http://lpmuds.net/newcomer.html is another good thing to read as well.
07 Feb, 2010, Fevenis wrote in the 4th comment:
I appreciate the "so you want to make a mud" advise posts. I am more so looking for suggestions on what to use that meets the requirements I mentioned so I can sandbox with it a little. I want to play with something.. Just to give me the warm fuzzing feeling of actually "starting" something.
07 Feb, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 5th comment:
Well other than "can run commercially" your requirements are subjective enough to be meaningless. I don't know what's "easy" for you, what you consider "developed", or what "a lot of people" is?

So here's a list of open source servers which by deduction can be run commercially. Most muds can support 100+ users rather easily.
07 Feb, 2010, Fevenis wrote in the 6th comment:
Alot of people is 500+.

Easy and developed… I suppose I mean something that has some examples and documentation. Sometime I could just download and start running.. See how it plays and easy to edit.

Sorry to be a little vague. I appreciate the help, even if harsh and blunt =).
07 Feb, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 7th comment:
Fevenis said:

Piss off. =)
07 Feb, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 8th comment:
Fevenis said:
Alot of people is 500+.

Easy and developed… I suppose I mean something that has some examples and documentation. Sometime I could just download and start running.. See how it plays and easy to edit.

I think that your question is kind of weird. Usually people like a particular kind of mud,
then find the codebase it's derived from, and try it out. Did you try that yet?

If you need easy AND developed AND commercial-use, your obvious choice is Coffeemud.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
07 Feb, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 9th comment:
Cratylus said:
If you need easy AND developed AND commercial-use, your obvious choice is Coffeemud.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net

This assumes that he knows Java though.

-Kayle
http://lpmuds.net/tiaf.jpg

>.>
07 Feb, 2010, Fevenis wrote in the 10th comment:
My limited knowledge is in C++ and C#… But I am willing to dive into a new language to meet my needs.

The only mud I have played is DragonRealms, and I was unable to find what codebase they use because it is probably very custom and very unavailable.
08 Feb, 2010, Fevenis wrote in the 11th comment:
NakedMud looks appealing. You think it's available to use for commercial use?
08 Feb, 2010, Dean wrote in the 12th comment:
Fevenis said:
NakedMud looks appealing. You think it's available to use for commercial use?

AFAIK NakedMUD has no license that restricts it for being used for commercial use.
08 Feb, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 13th comment:
Dean is correct – Orrin's commercial mud uses NM.
08 Feb, 2010, Fevenis wrote in the 14th comment:
And it's in Python eh? I will having to throw this up on a test machine and give it a try.
08 Feb, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 15th comment:
Not exactly – it's written in C but extensible with Python.
08 Feb, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 16th comment:
NakedMUD is pretty much a network engine written in C with embedded Python for scripting. But it's set up in a way that you can use Python to script the entire game using the C side simply to handle the network layer. The same could be done by taking SocketMUD (Which is public domain) and embedding Lua, or Ruby, or whatever your favorite scripting language is.

Come to think of it, I think NakedMUD is just SocketMUD plus Python scripting.

[Edit:] Bah, Ninja'd
08 Feb, 2010, Orrin wrote in the 17th comment:
NM can be used commercially and it's a C core which can be extended in Python (or C if you prefer). It's possible to develop your game entirely in Python if you want to. It's not perfect, but I've been very happy with it and it certainly saved a lot of time compared to starting from scratch. It comes with a lot of tools, but little or no game content out of the box. About the only convention it forces on you is a zone/room/mobile/object model so if you wanted to do a room-less world for example you might be better off with something else.
08 Feb, 2010, Fevenis wrote in the 18th comment:
That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for =).
0.0/18