03 Feb, 2010, Parhelion wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
If this is in the wrong section, I'll gladly move it. :)

I've been wanting to play around with the DGD driver and the Phantasmal lib, but I know the lib (while beautifully documented) has started to lag way behind DGD.

I can get DGD 1.3 to start up with the kernel mud library, but it is not compatible with Phantasmal and I cannot seem to run down the issue or the version where the problems begin to occur. I was wondering if anyone out there has been playing with these, and have managed to get them patched together?

My interest with DGD is its modern code, current development, and its proclaimed ability to be fully persistent. I am most familiar with LPC-type MUDs, and program primarily is C/C++ (and do not adjust well to Python, Ruby, or other languages).
03 Feb, 2010, Kline wrote in the 2nd comment:
Heh, every few months I get re-interested in this same combination and run some scripts to pull the latest versions of each. I'm not sure where they fell out of sync compatibility wise, but I haven't attempted to investigate it either.

I'll be curious to see where this thread goes, though, as they are a promising combination.
03 Feb, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 3rd comment:
You might want to look into the recently open sourced version of DGD:

http://lpmuds.net/forum/index.php?topic=...

-Crat
03 Feb, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 4th comment:
Cratylus said:
You might want to look into the recently open sourced version of DGD:

http://lpmuds.net/forum/index.php?topic=...

-Crat

Affero GPL? Doesn't that require one to make your mud servers source available to users to download?
04 Feb, 2010, quixadhal wrote in the 5th comment:
I think it does, but I'm not sure if you'd be required to release mudlib source as well. Since game logic shouldn't really be in the driver, AGPL wouldn't be as horrible as it would be for a DikuMUD-style game.

If it did though, it would prevent you from being able to make any kinds of puzzles, as the players could just demand the source to them and trivialize the content.
04 Feb, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 6th comment:
Tyche said:
Affero GPL? Doesn't that require one to make your mud servers source available to users to download?

I asked a similar question when I heard this.

What I have heard so far is "yes, you need to share changes to the DGD source if you run a game with it, but not the lib"

For people unfamiliar with DGD or LP in general, the LP driver is (usually) separate from the
game content. aGPL would probably suck for a codebase where the world is largely
in the compiled program (like some Dikus) since it would mean you pretty much have to
share your mud with the world.

Assuming what I've heard is correct, though, and the lib is not included in the scope
of the license, then people who use DGD 1.4 for their mud don't have to share their
game world. Just changes made to the driver itself.

Meaning that there's finally a relatively useful and complete LP driver you can
run a commercial mud with :)

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
04 Feb, 2010, bbailey wrote in the 7th comment:
Cratylus said:
Assuming what I've heard is correct, though, and the lib is not included in the scope
of the license, then people who use DGD 1.4 for their mud don't have to share their
game world. Just changes made to the driver itself.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net

For no cost, anyway. Commercial licenses have been available for DGD (either through Dworkin directly, or via Skotos) for quite some time.
04 Feb, 2010, Parhelion wrote in the 8th comment:
I followed that link and then alarmed everyone in the building after exploding in a cackle of glee.

I am going to have to test DGD 1.4 out come Monday. Thanks, Crat!

Of course, it still doesn't solve my original problem of getting Phantasmal to work on the latest version, but this is nonetheless great news. :D
04 Feb, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 9th comment:
Cratylus said:

Out of curiousity, are there any mudlibs under the GPL as well?
04 Feb, 2010, aidil wrote in the 10th comment:
A few things here.

First, regarding running Phantasmal on modern versions of DGD.

Around DGD 1.2.124, compatibility between the DGD kernel lib and Phantasmal was broken. When looking into the dgd announcements of around that time, a relatively trivial fix was suggested.

Phantasmal has a somewhat active maintainer (Shentino), and newer versions that are compatible with more recent DGD releases can be found at https://sourceforge.net/projects/phantas...

This also answers Kavir's question, the Phantasmal mudlib is available with an AGPL license.

Also, the Gurbalib mudlib runs on DGD 1.4 and comes with a 2 clause BSD style license.

The relevance of this is mostly that you can run a completely open source mud, but you do not need a lib with such a license at all for using DGD 1.4

I'll quote Dworkin's post from the mailinglist about this:

"The mudlib is separate. The running code of the objects is also
separate, just like the license of gcc does not affect the code it
compiles. The statedumps are separate. None of them are affected
by DGD's license."

A few notes about the DGD 1.4 release:
- there is one relevant change from 1.3, the escape character is no longer filtered. This depricates the so called 'ansi patch'.
- Provided permission from previous authors/maintainers, the so called 'network package' will become an optional part of future DGD 1.4.x versions, and there will not be a seperate network package for dgd 1.4. Note that there will not be a network package for DGDMP.
- While Dworkin is the author and currently sole contributor to the repository, I will be in charge of the open source project.
16 Feb, 2010, Parhelion wrote in the 11th comment:
DGD 1.4 (as well as DGD 1.3, as far as I am aware) does not ship with a kernel library, and me, being the genius that I am, did not keep my backup copies when I did a wipe the other night.

Would anyone happen to have the files for this?

Also, as far as I am aware, the most up-to-date version of Phantasmal is effected by the version problem, because that was the version I was using. :) ( version 0.0018, which may contain one too many zeros, as I'm going off the top of my memory).
16 Feb, 2010, bbailey wrote in the 12th comment:
Parhelion said:
DGD 1.4 (as well as DGD 1.3, as far as I am aware) does not ship with a kernel library, and me, being the genius that I am, did not keep my backup copies when I did a wipe the other night.

Would anyone happen to have the files for this?

The kernel mudlib (and a lot more) is available through Dworkin's ftp site.
16 Feb, 2010, Parhelion wrote in the 13th comment:
Thanks for the link!

Stuff got moved around when 4.0 came up and that was hard to pin down. Much appreciated.
0.0/13