27 Mar, 2007, Guest wrote in the 61st comment:
Votes: 0
It was no coincidence. RegisterFly is going to sit on everything they can, silently, until it all goes to hell. They've got no motivation to do anything unless ICANN is breathing down their neck about it. So that's why your transfer went through. They knew the big dog was watching. Either way, congratz. You've overcome the first and most difficult hurdle. It's all downhill from here.

BTW, Crystal, if you woudln't mind, could you post your success story on registerflea.com when the process completes? It would be helpful for people to know there's another process that will work.
27 Mar, 2007, Crystal wrote in the 62nd comment:
Sure :)
10 Jun, 2007, Guest wrote in the 63rd comment:
Just as a quick FYI for this old topic: Godaddy has taken over the registration data from Registerfly. While this might be good for some, it's pretty much like getting rescued from the lions only to be put in a pit full of tigers instead. Anyone who does manage to get a domain back this way is going to be forced to stay put for another 60 days. Not to mention that if your domain has broken whois, you're now at risk of having it hijacked by Godaddy and sold to cybersquatters. I fail to see how this is any improvement over letting Registerfly hijack it and sell it to cybersquatters?
10 Jun, 2007, Paradigm wrote in the 64th comment:
Samson said:
Just as a quick FYI for this old topic: Godaddy has taken over the registration data from Registerfly. While this might be good for some, it's pretty much like getting rescued from the lions only to be put in a pit full of tigers instead. Anyone who does manage to get a domain back this way is going to be forced to stay put for another 60 days. Not to mention that if your domain has broken whois, you're now at risk of having it hijacked by Godaddy and sold to cybersquatters. I fail to see how this is any improvement over letting Registerfly hijack it and sell it to cybersquatters?

All of my domains are back under my control on my goDaddy account which was fine with me as I already had domains registered with them and have had no problem what soever with godaddy in the two years I have used them. Only domain's i have not at godaddy are muddomain.com and imc2.org which are both at enom awaiting payday to come and a nice transfer to GoDaddy. Once they took over the RF domains it was a very simple project and I belive they used your information on hand at RF for you account because I had one with a bad whois email address that still landed in my control.
10 Jun, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 65th comment:
I am still unable to get my domain back - no matter what i put in the reset password box, it never validates and their email support is down. i'm not paying international phone bill for that either =I am still unable to get my domain back - no matter what i put in the reset password box, it never validates and their email support is down. i'm not paying international phone bill for that either =[
10 Jun, 2007, Guest wrote in the 66th comment:
Paradigm,

I predict you're going to be one of the lucky ones. If you managed to get your stuff back it's because Registerfly didn't screw up your information enough. In my case, kmuddy.net and smaugfuss.org are hopelessly beyond reclamation. Tomas Mecir agreed with me on that and we switched him over to kmuddy.com after being unable to get it back. The smaugfuss.org domain was entirely my loss to bear, and I already dropped all hope of getting it back a long time ago. Fortunately all of my other domains were pulled free way back in February when all this got started.

The other problem is that now GoDaddy is holding all of those RegisterFly domains hostage for 60 days and is actively refusing transfers from there to somewhere else. Some of the people caught up in this LEFT GoDaddy for a reason and now they're back where they don't want to be.

The entire deal they struck with ICANN on getting the data is extremely suspect - having paid Kevin Medina for it instead of allowing the court proceedings to go forward as they should have. Something doesn't smell right here and anyone stuck in this situation should be cautious.
12 Jun, 2007, bunabiros wrote in the 67th comment:
i am coming to this very late, but i have about 6 domains with registerfly. i've been getting those spam-like emails from godaddy lately but ignored them thinking they were scams…

does this mean that godaddy now owns my domains?

what should i do?

has anyone found a trustable registrar??
12 Jun, 2007, Guest wrote in the 68th comment:
Yes, in all likelihood your domains are now registered through godaddy. The emails they've been sending you are not scams. Much like the original email enom sent out to everyone back in February. It's been a huge mess full of lawsuits and soap opera-ness.

I would suggest you make sure you can access your domains through godaddy ASAP. Don't wait for it to get close to expiration time. As long as you have control you can opt to transfer them out in 60 days.

The domains I have are currently split between 1and1.com and netfirms.com and I'm leaning toward moving them all over to netfirms.com. Netfirms carries a bbonline logo which gives me a bit more confidence in them than any of the others I've looked through.
12 Jun, 2007, bunabiros wrote in the 69th comment:
thanks for the advice samson. none of my domains are near expiration which is why i figured those emails were junk.

i'll act on this as soon as i can… do i need to log in to registerfly at all, or is that just going to make things worse? it sounds like you are saying i should just log in to godaddy and transfer them from there.

thanks again!
12 Jun, 2007, Guest wrote in the 70th comment:
No, just log on to godaddy using the information they sent you. The domains should already be there since the action was more or less forced by court order. If you aren't aware of the situation I would strongly suggest reading up on the information at [defunct]
12 Jun, 2007, Paradigm wrote in the 71st comment:
Samson said:
Paradigm,

I predict you're going to be one of the lucky ones. If you managed to get your stuff back it's because Registerfly didn't screw up your information enough. In my case, kmuddy.net and smaugfuss.org are hopelessly beyond reclamation. Tomas Mecir agreed with me on that and we switched him over to kmuddy.com after being unable to get it back. The smaugfuss.org domain was entirely my loss to bear, and I already dropped all hope of getting it back a long time ago. Fortunately all of my other domains were pulled free way back in February when all this got started.

The other problem is that now GoDaddy is holding all of those RegisterFly domains hostage for 60 days and is actively refusing transfers from there to somewhere else. Some of the people caught up in this LEFT GoDaddy for a reason and now they're back where they don't want to be.

The entire deal they struck with ICANN on getting the data is extremely suspect - having paid Kevin Medina for it instead of allowing the court proceedings to go forward as they should have. Something doesn't smell right here and anyone stuck in this situation should be cautious.

From what i read on the ICANN blog this was not an agreement with ICANN this was an agreement with RF and ICANN just approved it. This never did reach the stage where ICANN would assign a new registrar to take over. So yeah Kevin got some cash out of this deal, but hopefully he'll still be in jail soon. On a side note imc2.org should have expired last week but i'm somehow aquired another year which i didn not pay for. I'm not going to complain :) THat domain is at enom now where most of mine went to GoDaddy. I think the 60 days thing is a ICANN rule you can't transfer a domain for 60 days after purchase or transfer.
12 Jun, 2007, bunabiros wrote in the 72nd comment:
someone reccommended a few more i thought i'd add to the conversation:

namecheap.com - seems to be very popular, mostly positive feedback
dynadot.com - mildly popular

then there's dnsmadeeasy.com - has some really good reviews but i can't figure out what it's all about. it doesn't look like a registrar…
12 Jun, 2007, Guest wrote in the 73rd comment:
Namecheap is an enom reseller. Not something I'd recommend at this stage. Enom isn't a great deal better from a service standpoint than registerfly was.
12 Jun, 2007, bunabiros wrote in the 74th comment:
i see…

honestly netfirms is looking like the best option with the free whois, the low prices, and the less obnoxious web site. have you found any drawbacks to them so far?

thanks again for the help!
13 Jun, 2007, Guest wrote in the 75th comment:
Not so far. But like you I'm quite happy with their offerings. You even get free webspace on their server if you need it, as long as you can tolerate there being ads at the top.
13 Jun, 2007, bunabiros wrote in the 76th comment:
i'm transferring my first domain right now, says it's free and i get the free hosting, can't beat that!

samson, do you have a promo code or is there a referral program? i'd be happy to input your account name as referral since you helped me here (and you're the only one i know who is a member).
13 Jun, 2007, Guest wrote in the 77th comment:
I don't know of any promo codes. I found them by scouring a list of registrars on some DNS forum I stumbled on. As far as I know they don't have a referral program either. Never really looked for one.
31 Jul, 2007, bunabiros wrote in the 78th comment:
Hey Samson,

I recently discovered that Google also serves as a registrar. Have you heard anything good or bad about their services?

-Buna
31 Jul, 2007, Guest wrote in the 79th comment:
I wasn't even aware that Google was acting as a registrar now. I guess the only way to know if they're safe or not would be to register one and find out.
31 Jul, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 80th comment:
I know they sell domains for their google apps- do they offer traditional web hosting?
60.0/126