26 Apr, 2010, mijutsai wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
The mud I'm running doesnt have copyover in yet, and was wanting to put it in. Whats the easiest way to put one in. the copyover snippet on here won't patch into it.
26 Apr, 2010, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
You'll have to manually patch it in, then.
26 Apr, 2010, mijutsai wrote in the 3rd comment:
Yeah, I forgot when I put this code backup that it was an older version cuz i lost my updated one that had copyover in it, I've not done this in awhile and feel like kabob skewers are stabbing me in the face
26 Apr, 2010, mijutsai wrote in the 4th comment:
Needless to say when I quit doing muds a couple years ago, I was still pretty much a newbie coder and was learning, sooo, what can you guys recomend?
26 Apr, 2010, Asylumius wrote in the 5th comment:
A search for copyover came up with this merc snippet: http://www.mudbytes.net/file-1748

There are patch files for ROM, Circle, and Smaug. If you code has been modified, you probably won't be able to actually 'patch' it in, but you can follow the file by hand, using the diffs as a rough guide to find the appropriate areas in your code. If you need a example of copyover installed and working properly, download a codebase you're familiar with (QuickMUD, SmaugFUSS, etc.) and look it over.

Lastly, read through the copyover code and where it hooks in and think about what it's doing, then think about any changes you've made in the past and ask yourself if copyover breaks them, or if they break copyover.
26 Apr, 2010, Mudder wrote in the 6th comment:
Get a book about C coding and refresh.
26 Apr, 2010, quixadhal wrote in the 7th comment:
The basic idea of copyover is simple enough, just make sure you save states that you need to restore afterwards (IE: If you want active combat to continue, or rooms with players in them to NOT reset, etc). Also, while player sockets can generally be restored with no effort, connections to databases or IMC2/I3 may need to be closed and re-opened to ensure internal states are in sync with the other end.

Of course, ideally you don't need to reboot your game often enough for it to matter. You are doing all your coding and debugging on a test copy, right?
27 Apr, 2010, mijutsai wrote in the 8th comment:
Nah this is the test copy. I'm not putting it up for general play for AWHILE, though its ready to go. It does have a reboot function that allows the startup script to stay put and it reboots automatically, but copyover is just nice to have for the small fixes with color and all that stuff.
0.0/8