04 Jun, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Ok, so I know I'll probably get laughed at or mocked, but am I the only person that
has noticed that the homepage display of IMC doesn't account for profanity? If you want
to cuss that's fine, but I don't really care to see it. Typically it's not only profane; it's just
plain vulgar. FWIW, I'm not saying the IMC should be moderated, nor do I care what people
feel is fun to post links to. But maybe someone could whip-up a quick curse check and interpolate
$@!!$* in place of "blankity blank blank"???
04 Jun, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 2nd comment:
fuckin a, man
04 Jun, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 3rd comment:
Haha, well that was expected crat! In fact, I almost called it in the OP.
04 Jun, 2010, Runter wrote in the 4th comment:
JohnnyStarr said:
Ok, so I know I'll probably get laughed at or mocked, but am I the only person that
has noticed that the homepage display of IMC doesn't account for profanity? If you want
to cuss that's fine, but I don't really care to see it. Typically it's not only profane; it's just
plain vulgar. FWIW, I'm not saying the IMC should be moderated, nor do I care what people
feel is fun to post links to. But maybe someone could whip-up a quick curse check and interpolate
$@!!$* in place of "blankity blank blank"???

The point has been made several times, but it's as you said. It's not really the cursing that most people find offensive. It's the underlying offensive/disgusting content that a few people on IMC itself have even expressed concern about. I think some people are just very insensitive to others. Indeed, they're just not very courteous in that regard. So I'd be surprised if you did get anything other than light mocking or lip service.
04 Jun, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 5th comment:
Runter said:
It's the underlying offensive/disgusting content that a few people on IMC itself have even expressed concern about.

Well yknow, when me and Kayle tried to clean up ichat, some folks around here turned into giant weeping vaginas bleeding all over themselves. Right, Kiasyn?

So I sympathize, cuz I think it would be nice if there were some way to direct the various personality tendencies into clearly defined channels so that petticoats don't get twisted all a-twirl, but you'll have to take it up with the dipshits that can't admin their way out of a hatful of cunts.

Speaking of which, Davion has found it easy enough to mangle strings when it comes to url's from lpmuds.net, so I don't see why he couldn't comply with johnnystarr's request.
04 Jun, 2010, Igabod wrote in the 6th comment:
I personally agree that the front page should censor the imc feed. I myself am a foul-mouthed bastard and have said some pretty reprehensible things over IMC. If a child happened to surf to mudbytes.net at the exact moment when I am being active on IMC then they're likely to learn a few things their parents wish they didn't learn.

When people log onto IMC they half expect cursing and vulgarity. But when you surf to a forum you don't expect to be inundated with "f this" and "f that" and "I'll f your mother in the a."

I personally also refuse to fully censor myself over IMC. I'll watch my language a bit if someone tells me that they don't wanna hear that. But I'm still a sailor who has a mouth like one.
04 Jun, 2010, Runter wrote in the 7th comment:
It sounds like there should be an option for mudbytes accounts to have a language filter on site-wide. To me it doesn't make sense just to filter the 3 lines from IMC but not the actual content hosting on the site for folks that want the option.
04 Jun, 2010, Igabod wrote in the 8th comment:
so you mean put a check box in account options that is unchecked by default, but if you check it you will receive unfiltered/uncensored content? I'm okay with this idea. That way the sensitive folks won't have their sensibilities offended as much, and those like me who find nothing offensive can enjoy the unmodified content.
04 Jun, 2010, kiasyn wrote in the 9th comment:
QSFP actually has a censor built into it somewhere.
04 Jun, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 10th comment:
Like I said, I don't care what you guys say on IMC, but I like to read the forum at work and at home.
I would prefer a filter of some sort. This site is full of programmers / hackers right? I'm sure someone could
write a quick PHP filter? Shoot, I'll do it the mods are too busy ;)
04 Jun, 2010, quixadhal wrote in the 11th comment:
The older I get, the less tolerant I am of the political correctness that has infected this nation like an oozing boil full of pus. It's like a big carpet that we can sweep all our problems under to avoid actually dealing with them. I guess some people actually believe that by not saying certain words or phrases, it magically makes people not think offensive thoughts either.

Sure, you can probably code some weaksauce profanity filter, and that will likely become a challenge to those who enjoy that sort of thing to see what they can sneak past it. The simplest way to "solve" the problem is to make the IMC box a configuration option in the user preferences, so those who are offended (or work at places that care) can just disable it entirely.
04 Jun, 2010, Runter wrote in the 12th comment:
quixadhal said:
The older I get, the less tolerant I am of the political correctness that has infected this nation like an oozing boil full of pus. It's like a big carpet that we can sweep all our problems under to avoid actually dealing with them. I guess some people actually believe that by not saying certain words or phrases, it magically makes people not think offensive thoughts either.

Sure, you can probably code some weaksauce profanity filter, and that will likely become a challenge to those who enjoy that sort of thing to see what they can sneak past it. The simplest way to "solve" the problem is to make the IMC box a configuration option in the user preferences, so those who are offended (or work at places that care) can just disable it entirely.

*shrug* It's not political correctness to recognize that some people are offended by different levels of profanity. By this definition, any type of content restriction here is political correctness. I think it's just decency. From what I understand, he's not even asking that it stop. He just wants a filter. I'm also not sure what kind of point you're trying to make. Thinking something and expressing it are two different things. There's plenty of things here that you aren't going to be permitted to express. Nobody thinks that makes the would-be-expressionists think those notions less. It's just basic decency.
04 Jun, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 13th comment:
In the end of yhe day this is a purely social problem. Some people think it is civilized to swear like sailors, other people don't want to see it. The action or lack thereof from any moderating force means that people basically do whatever they want subject to peer pressure… of course, some of the people who would be admin vigorously oppose any standards of civility when it comes to swearing, so that's pretty much that.
04 Jun, 2010, Igabod wrote in the 14th comment:
David Haley said:
of course, some of the people who would be admin vigorously oppose any standards of civility when it comes to swearing, so that's pretty much that.

I've not seen any evidence of this. And there aren't that many admins so you may as well just come out and name the name.
04 Jun, 2010, Kline wrote in the 15th comment:
Someone please explain to me the offensiveness behind fuck, shit, damn, ass, cunt, or any other of words? Nothing was a "bad word" or "profanity" until some fucking asshole decided to declare it as such. In the spirit of doing such things, I hereby declare fuck to be a jovial greeting between friends. To that end, fuck you all. :)

….

SEACREST OUT!
04 Jun, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 16th comment:
quix said:
The older I get, the less tolerant I am of the political correctness that has infected this nation like an oozing boil full of pus.

So we should all just be able to talk about whatever we want right? Well go ahead, noone is trying to stop you, but pardon me if I would rather
read about … what's this site about again? Oh yeah, Muds. :biggrin:
04 Jun, 2010, Runter wrote in the 17th comment:
Kline said:
Someone please explain to me the offensiveness behind fuck, shit, damn, ass, cunt, or any other of words? Nothing was a "bad word" or "profanity" until some fucking asshole decided to declare it as such. In the spirit of doing such things, I hereby declare fuck to be a jovial greeting between friends. To that end, fuck you all. :)

Actually, most of those words became that way because of the common use case. Like your "fucking asshole" there. Indeed, it's all about the context. I think adults shouldn't have any reservation about having words at their disposal, but your disposition when using those words was a perfect example of how they are often used as the low road of the english language. I find their use most offensive in dumb context. They don't make jokes funnier except in the most juvenile of ways. In any event, I think if every post was as expletive-filled as the one you just made, then this site really wouldn't be worth a damn. No pun intended. :)
04 Jun, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 18th comment:
Runter said:
No pun intended. :)

Good, because that wasn't a pun, that was irony.
04 Jun, 2010, Runter wrote in the 19th comment:
Cratylus said:
Runter said:
No pun intended. :)

Good, because that wasn't a pun, that was irony.

worth a damn == to have merit
worth a damn == lit. worthy of swear or curse
== 2 meanings == a pun

Perhaps an ironic pun.
04 Jun, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 20th comment:
JohnnyStarr said:
Like I said, I don't care what you guys say on IMC, but I like to read the forum at work and at home.
I would prefer a filter of some sort. This site is full of programmers / hackers right? I'm sure someone could
write a quick PHP filter? Shoot, I'll do it the mods are too busy ;)

There's a Firefox plugin called RIP.
You can use it to remove elements of webpages.

The following RIP file will remove the IMC chat window.
<Config version="1.0">
<Page name="MUDBytes Community" url="http://www.mudbytes.net/*" enabled="true">
<XPath comment="">//div[@id='ichat_recent']</XPath>
</Page>
</Config>

HTH
0.0/98