26 Jun, 2007, mijutsai wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I just find it very disrespectful how someone of your status Midboss, seems to think its okay to
vividly badger someone elses work. I mean honestly. Isn't this the only site your not banned from?
Because of the way you act? Yet, people treat Rowenna like a piece of trash, and all she did was
take possesion of a certain codebase, that she didnt actually take, it was given to her? Sorry to
stir that back up KaVir. Heh, i know it blows donkey nuts to hear that stuff. But what i'm getting at
is, why is it that I always see nothing more than smack being talked out of #1 someones mouth that is
both A) A sexist biggot B) Thinks its all up to him, the MR. I have no life so i go on new muds to see if they're
breaking copyright. OR C) Is known as the "tattle tale" in the MUD community that ALOT of people I know
think that you're very pathetic and need some serious help.

Kinda reminds me of that kid that recently lost it and killed his parents for shutting of their internet. And yes
my friends, thats how far wrapped up into WoW this kid was. That was his reason for it. ROFL. But anyways
Shattered Balance is a client of mine, and I just so happen to know what goes on behind the scenes, though
its a slow process, very slow, due to time constraints, How about you grow some nuts and grow up some
and just let people run their site how they want to. Who the hell are you to judge someone elses work? Especially
having the name "Midboss" from an overated shotter game called "Metal Gear".

Just my 2 cents.
26 Jun, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 2nd comment:
mijutsai said:
I just find it very disrespectful how someone of your status Midboss, seems to think its okay to
vividly badger someone elses work. I mean honestly. Isn't this the only site your not banned from?
Because of the way you act? Yet, people treat Rowenna like a piece of trash, and all she did was
take possesion of a certain codebase, that she didnt actually take, it was given to her? Sorry to
stir that back up KaVir. Heh, i know it blows donkey nuts to hear that stuff. But what i'm getting at
is, why is it that I always see nothing more than smack being talked out of #1 someones mouth that is
both A) A sexist biggot B) Thinks its all up to him, the MR. I have no life so i go on new muds to see if they're
breaking copyright. OR C) Is known as the "tattle tale" in the MUD community that ALOT of people I know
think that you're very pathetic and need some serious help.

Kinda reminds me of that kid that recently lost it and killed his parents for shutting of their internet. And yes
my friends, thats how far wrapped up into WoW this kid was. That was his reason for it. ROFL. But anyways
Shattered Balance is a client of mine, and I just so happen to know what goes on behind the scenes, though
its a slow process, very slow, due to time constraints, How about you grow some nuts and grow up some
and just let people run their site how they want to. Who the hell are you to judge someone elses work? Especially
having the name "Midboss" from an overated shotter game called "Metal Gear".

Just my 2 cents.

Stop being a jackass. Anyone who read his post knows that's not what he was doing.
26 Jun, 2007, KaVir wrote in the 3rd comment:
mijutsai said:
Yet, people treat Rowenna like a piece of trash, and all she did was take possesion of a certain codebase, that she didnt actually take, it was given to her?

Just for the record, Rowena (who is actually a "he", despite the name) stripped the Diku, Merc and GodWars credits out of a mud he'd previously stolen from someone else, then publically bragged that I couldn't do anything about it. Prior to that he'd already earned a bad reputation for stealing other people's work, and even referred to himself as a "great code thief" as if it were something to be proud of.

As a mud hosting provider, you might want to think carefully before associating yourself with someone who makes posts on public forums saying things like "...if I were to offer a cool computer to..." and "I'm not a bad person or anything, I just..."

As Samson stated on another thread, when looking for mud hosting "The cost of the host is not the issue. T...". Earlier this month you got caught trying to cheat a mud list by voting down all the competition, but rather than admit you were wrong you "...requested that anyone and everyone th...". Now you're actively defending someone who boasts about stealing other people's work. What sort of impression do you think that gives of your integrity and professionalism?
26 Jun, 2007, Midboss wrote in the 4th comment:
…if I were to offer a cool computer to host muds for free at great performance, I'd be doing it to get my hands on lots of code. But hey, that's just me…

I'm not a bad person or anything, I just gots sticky fingers when it comes to stuff that belongs to other people.

Self-incrimination is fun.
27 Jun, 2007, mijutsai wrote in the 5th comment:
As I slowly read down the list. I don't associate with Rowenna. I just used that as a small example. But yeah, I know all about he/she/it or whatever.
And that wasn't a target at you KaVir. But anyways. Let me first get into saying, Sorry midboss, I read the thread wrong through the eyes of a totally
ticked off and tweaked person that just had their car stolen, literally, walked out to my driveway and bam, my Jeep was gone. Heh, so my apologies there.

But one last note, KaVir, I NEVER VOTED DOWN ANYONES MUD TO MAKE SOMEONES BETTER. I was mad because of somehow because i coincidently voted for
the muds I hosted and I voted GWII down. For 1 Kavir, your mud wasnt even on the same list as them. lmfao. But thats alright, that issue is over with. But once again, i wanted to apologize to Midboss and Samson and anyone else that may of taken any kind of offense to anything that may have been said.

Oh yeah, KaVir, read your PM, you might like to hear what it is that i've got in there for ya. :)
27 Jun, 2007, mann_jess wrote in the 6th comment:
the MR. I have no life so i go on new muds to see if they're
breaking copyright. OR C) Is known as the "tattle tale" in the MUD community

I don't entirely understand why you think that 1) Person A is in the wrong when he is only reporting Person B for doing something illegal, and that 2) If someone does something illegal, it is better that everyone who knows about it ignores it so he can get away with his thievery. That is, I don't understand that unless you support code theft… which casts a rather bad light on your hosting business… especially as you go out of your way to defend a self-admitted code thief who has nothing to do with the conversation. You may want to consider that.

Tyche: NannyMUD was actually my first MUD. The name never really struck me as all that bad… though it did strike me as rather random and strange. Setting aside some oddities, the community there can be very nice, in my opinion. *shrug*

Honestly though, the random names that seem to break the stereotypical MUD-name mold (like Project Bob, for example) are more appealing to me. It's the "Darkness of Apocalyptic Doom… of Deathly Killing" ones that are turn-offs for me.

Best of Luck,
-Jess
27 Jun, 2007, mijutsai wrote in the 7th comment:
which is why i noted KaVir about how Rowenna was distributing Tijer's code everywhere. And i axed an account because of it. I in no way deal with
code theft. It's annoying and juvenile and stupid. I've been a victim myself. But anyways. nuff said on that topic. :) good times.
27 Jun, 2007, Tijer wrote in the 8th comment:
Thats appreciated Mijutsai but to be honest im past caring about Rowena is doing with my MUD code.

One of my immortals of my mud found it on www.thepiratebay.org the other day with a fake changes.txt file to make it look like it was a newer version than it infact was.

I am going to fill you in on some of the back story of how Rowena managed to get my code.

Tracker was a coder on Legend of Chrystancia for 4 years, adding little changes and tweaks. In May 2006 he wanted to remove clans and make the mud a Kingdom based mud, to which i said no. Anyways to cut a long story short, he took a copy of my code and gave it to a few people.. Rowena being one of them, i did not nor ever will give anyone other than myself permission to run my code. Everyone else apart from Rowena forgot about Legend of Chrystancia, and the theft, alot of them told me they had the code and that they wouldnt run it. Not Rowena, he has been spreading my code all over the net since he got it in May 2006, ive had it pulled from rapidshare, and other online file hosts. In April 2007 he tried to run my code, stripping Diku, Merc, GodWars, and my credits, claiming that he had coded the place from scratch and there was nothing anyone could do about it. Rowena then proceeded to post the address on all the mudlisting sites, (the address got pulled from the lot), and then made immortal characters using names from my mud claiming that he infact had permission to run the code. Myself and one of my immortals managed to delete the mud 5-6 times, after which Rowena left the mud wizlocked for 3 weeks claiming to be recoding it. Needless to say the mud never re-appeared.

To be honest i am past caring about Legend of Chrystancia, yes i put a lot of time money and effort into keeping the place running but its not what it once was anymore, its been leaked onto the net, and i have moved on. I will like to say that LoC was one of the most popular long running GodWars based muds, and for that iam kind of proud, but as everything we must move on.

Tijer
27 Jun, 2007, Justice wrote in the 9th comment:
Heh, I've always found the drama surrounding code theft amusing. Rather than getting upset, I'm generally flattered that someone likes my work enough to try and steal what they generally lack the knowledge to do themselves. Over the years I've found several snippets I wrote released in various code bases… generally without attribution to me, or attributed to someone else.

It's one of those "the boy who cried wolf" deals… over the years I've seen entirely too many people complain about code theft, and on occassion being accused of it myself. Ironically, the accusors rarely if ever let their code be examined to prove any similarity. So yeah, put simply, I don't get paid for my mud code, so I generally don't care who uses it. If asked, I generally give it away.
27 Jun, 2007, mijutsai wrote in the 10th comment:
Well again, my apologies on that. But yes, i've managed to pull it off my server and trash it. And the account associated with it.
Also, thanks for the update on the EXACT situation on how he'd managed to get a copy of it. The i'd discovered it initially was
someone, a builder, don't remember what the builder name was exactly had come to me and said hey, this mud is a stolen codebase
from which i found out that it was given to them by Rowenna. Through bigupload.com and the name changed to something like
monkeyznpiez.zip or something like that. I'd have to look again. But yeah, its gone now.

But once again thanks for that update, like i said, i'll keep a look out. Also, any other things I should
be looking out for code wise thats been ganked lately? Anyone? So i know what to keep an eye out
for….

– mij
28 Jun, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 11th comment:
If you find any unclaimed code, we can just pretend it was stolen from me.
28 Jun, 2007, Davion wrote in the 12th comment:
Justice said:
If asked, I generally give it away.

*points at the upload button in the code repository* I -know- that little button has been asking for -ages-. It loves all the code you can feed it ;). Paste-bin too! Feel free to dump code in there as well.
28 Jun, 2007, Justice wrote in the 13th comment:
Yes Davion, but you have to remember… I'm LAZY. Why do you think I've spent so much time making the computer work for me?
28 Jun, 2007, Davion wrote in the 14th comment:
28 Jun, 2007, Justice wrote in the 15th comment:
Hehe, the button isn't the problem, it's getting the code into a snippetable state. But don't worry too much, been slowly working on installing some things into a clean FUSS build so I can release them.
28 Jun, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 16th comment:
how about an 'upload your entire harddrive option' and have mudbytes automatically sort it =P
29 Jun, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 17th comment:
tar -czvf home.tar.gz /home
06 Jul, 2007, Fizban wrote in the 18th comment:
and just let people run their site how they want to.

I hate code theft. I don't discourage it like some people, I mean I HATE it, I'm the kind of person that would press charges. But even with those views in general I really can't feel sorry for the owner of Shattered Balance. Why? They proved to be not worth taking seriously when they posted this:

hi my name is dyril and i'm the owner of the mud in question that had the code stolen and yes it is indeed stolen as i have a reciept that i paid for the code base and i can call into this discution the origional person i bought the code from if need be.

if anyone has a way to contact the owner of slayn.net directly i would appreciate them fordwarding this thread to them of sending the info to my mud admin email at shatteredbalance@gmail.com

thanks for any help anyone offers in this matter.

Yeah, that's right, they paid for a DIKU codebase.

You didn't look any better either in this post:

Here's my question, why must you be such a prick about it? I mean seriously. We posted a legitimate request. And As for navigating around, blahblahblah, this was the quickest solution to the issue. I've also posted a PM to Slayn as well. There is no need for you to be so rude about something. And the problem is, is that Tridore(person in question) did not have the new password or access to get the code. And honestly, he's only liable to have pieces of code that he submitted into the codebase, not the ENTIRE source. I own my own hosting company, I think i'd know quite a bit more about this stuff than someone that obviously has no business in being such a prick about anything, it was a polite simple request. And I didnt threaten legal action against Slayn, it was pointed towards Tridore and others. So please, stop this spamming of something that is of a real concern, honestly, if this was my forum, someone like you would be banned from it. FOR GOOD!
28 Aug, 2007, tridore wrote in the 19th comment:
Hello all,
I am the Tridore that is being slandered on this forum so I figured I would take the time to explain things to people,
Dyril is someone I knew from my mud Vecterian Realms III, (vr3.slayn.net 2188) anyone logging there will see it's not shattered balance.
Now, I coded for Dyril I told him if I code for him I am taking a copy of the source, which he agreed to. I did not host it nor would I
I just keep the backups for personal use of things I code now If he wants to get technical I can have him remove everything I coded for him
I am not that type of person I just wanted to make it clear I did not steal anything from him. His mud was failing and I told him I didn't have
the time to in all honesty to assist him with the coding he needed as he had no main coder, he can't code….besides the point.
I just don't like the fact of of him slandering me honestly. I code I have been doing so for almost 10 years now. Shattered Balance is in no way a codebase of competition to mine, The mud I host has a lost it's free source title. The codebase in question isn't even original enough
to be released from Russ Walsh's copyrights also, which makes it freeware. (not over 51% original from copyright) now my codebase
surpasses his claim by far, including complete rewrite of classes,races, combat system anyway Dyril talks out of his @#(& and he needs to rethink his actions, because honestly this is not the time nor the place for these type of allegations if he wants to go where he wants to go with this I am awaiting it because honestly he will have nothing when it's all said and done.

Wicked Tridore Koder.

[Edited for personal attacks – Samson]
28 Aug, 2007, Guest wrote in the 20th comment:
It's libel. He libeled you. Slander is oral. Tossing around legal terms is slippery business.

Now, that said…..

Before this all turns south and becomes a flamewar over who stole what from whom, just don't go there. You've both said your piece. And I'm removing the needless personal attacks Tridor stuffed onto the end of the post.
0.0/23