20 Jul, 2010, Aquabat wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey all. I'm a bit new to everything code related, so bear with me if this is stupid.

I recently put ShadowStorm up, got it to compile, but I have two problems with it I can't seem to solve.

First is this, which endlessly spams in the shell:

file_open(../../public_html/online.html,w):: No such file or directory
Mon Jul 19 21:37:57 2010 :: Online html doesn't exist.

Mon Jul 19 21:38:03 2010 :: Online html doesn't exist.

Mon Jul 19 21:38:09 2010 :: Online html doesn't exist.

Mon Jul 19 21:38:15 2010 :: Online html doesn't exist.

Mon Jul 19 21:38:21 2010 :: Online html doesn't exist.

I've found the online.html file and moved it to my public_html folder but it made no difference, so I'm figuring I just have no idea what I'm doing.

Beyond that, there seems to be a bunch of weird HTML tags in the MUD when I start it up and log in that I can't manage to disable or get rid of. I believe it's MXP, but I would prefer not to have this.

Examples (The first one pops up every tick, making it difficult to ignore were I to cop out and quit trying to fix it…):

<SEND>look</SEND> <SEND>inv</SEND> <SEND>eq</SEND> <SEND>sc</SEND> <SEND>who</SEND> 
<SEND>map</SEND> <SEND>wizlist</SEND> <SEND>scan</SEND> <SEND>redit</SEND>

And…

<!ELEMENT RName '<FONT "Comic Sans MS" COLOR=CYAN> <B>' FLAG="RoomName"><!ELEMENT RDesc FLAG='RoomDesc'>
<!ELEMENT RExits FLAG='RoomExit'><!ELEMENT Ex '<SEND>'><!ELEMENT List "<send href='buy &#39;&name;&#39;' hint='Buy &desc;'>"
ATT='name desc'><SUPPORT image send frame stat>

Does anyone have the godly patience to explain to me how to remove MXP support entirely, if that's what that is? If removing it isn't a plausible option, is there a way to just disable it so it doesn't show up for myself or users anymore? There doesn't appear to be anything MXP related in the command list.

I thought about going through literally every .c file in the src folder and removing the HTML tags one by one, but I don't know for sure it would work and it would be a pretty sloppy fix.

Thanks so much in advance.

~A
20 Jul, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
First problem:
Make sure that wherever the MUD is running is in fact the correct relative path to ../../public_html. Then make sure that the html file in question is writable by the user that runs the MUD process.

MXP problem:
I don't know the codebase so I don't know if it's easy to disable MXP. It shouldn't be hugely difficult, assuming whoever implemented it did something half-decent. But I'm a little surprised that it's dumping out the MXP information without checking with the client that MXP is ok. Have you tried this with MXP enabled clients?

If the codebase forces MXP (regardless of client negotiation, and regardless of individual player configuration) you might have to remove them all manually, yes. (That would mean whoever implemented it didn't do a great job. :tongue:)
20 Jul, 2010, Davion wrote in the 3rd comment:
MXP Problem: MXP is only enabled when your client says that it shall use MXP. If you'd like to remove it, entirely from processing you can always change the value of MXP_ALL to mirror MXP_NONE (I think it's 3, but you can probably get away with changing it to "#define MXP_ALL MXP_NONE")
20 Jul, 2010, Aquabat wrote in the 4th comment:
Thanks very much! I'll give that a try right now.

Edit: Just to make sure before I destroy everything with my newbishness, I change that in merc.h, right?
20 Jul, 2010, Aquabat wrote in the 5th comment:
Well, hmm. I found the exact line you mentioned in merc.h and went ahead with it. It didn't have an effect after compiling and copying over. I still had this bit:

<SEND>look</SEND> <SEND>inv</SEND> <SEND>eq</SEND> <SEND>sc</SEND> <SEND>who</SEND> <SEND>map</SEND> 
<SEND>wizlist</SEND> <SEND>scan</SEND> <SEND>redit</SEND>

Things I tried after: Changing MXP_ALL to just say MXP_NONE instead, got a bug from that one so I switched it back. Then tried removing the MXP_ALL line entirely. Compiled cleanly but had no effect at changing the MXP from showing up after compile/copyover.
20 Jul, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 6th comment:
Make sure you 'make clean' before recompiling (assuming that the makefile doesn't have intelligent dependency management).

It's also possible that that particular bit of the code simply doesn't respect the flag.
21 Jul, 2010, Davion wrote in the 7th comment:
Aquabat said:
Well, hmm. I found the exact line you mentioned in merc.h and went ahead with it. It didn't have an effect after compiling and copying over. I still had this bit:

<SEND>look</SEND> <SEND>inv</SEND> <SEND>eq</SEND> <SEND>sc</SEND> <SEND>who</SEND> <SEND>map</SEND> 
<SEND>wizlist</SEND> <SEND>scan</SEND> <SEND>redit</SEND>

Things I tried after: Changing MXP_ALL to just say MXP_NONE instead, got a bug from that one so I switched it back. Then tried removing the MXP_ALL line entirely. Compiled cleanly but had no effect at changing the MXP from showing up after compile/copyover.

Not sure why that didn't work! Anyways, I updated the shadowstorm in the repository to include an 'mxp' command. It can enable and disable MXP for you.
21 Jul, 2010, Aquabat wrote in the 8th comment:
That's above and beyond what was expected. Thanks so much, Davian.
22 Jul, 2010, Korax wrote in the 9th comment:
With all these shadowstorm threads soon it'll need it's own subsection under rom on the forums.
22 Jul, 2010, Davion wrote in the 10th comment:
Aquabat said:
That's above and beyond what was expected. Thanks so much, Davian.

Well! I did say I'd keep up with bug fixes as they're pointed out :). You're most welcome.

Korax said:
With all these shadowstorm threads soon it'll need it's own subsection under rom on the forums.

With this baffling, sudden burst in interest over the codebase (I blame it on Thud!) it just may! It's definitely not short of issues ;).
0.0/10