09 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I've always been the type of person that if I see something better I'd put down what I was currently working on and go to the next best thing, but I hate doing that. I really can't understand why I want to drop the old and go to the new maybe I just want to be the best (like every animal on the planet does).

So some of you know that I've been trying to make a MUD or text adventure with Python, but the research I've done I see that it's better to code it in C and then do the scripting in Python.

I have a huge book in C++ right next to me, I used to code in C++ before Python (no expert though), and the only reason I switched was because I read that it was easier to code a MUD in Python. Lol. (brain f*ck anyone?)

I want some advice or rather, if you would bestow upon me some advice I'd appreciate it. Ha ha.

Finish the MUDing experience in Python OR finish it in C++?

-Ghost
09 Aug, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 2nd comment:
Finish the MUDing experience in Python OR finish it in C++?

Are you talking about Python's C API, or embedding Python into C as scripting language? Either way, Python is more than capable
of accomplishing your goals. Better than that, it is much more likely that you will learn how to be productive in Python vs. C.
I've taken the liberty of giving you some DOs and DONTs

DONTS:
Don't over analyze things when starting off. The only reason to use C / C++ is if you start off with a codebase written in that language.
Don't try to reinvent the wheel. There is a ton of code already written out there for you to use / learn from.
Don't just dabble, read up.
Don't Give up :wink:

DO:
Read, Apply, Repeat.
Ask specific questions about language features / concepts as you come across them.
Remember that there is no such thing as a perfect language.
09 Aug, 2010, Oliver wrote in the 3rd comment:
There is also something to be said for using both.

You can write a basic game engine in C or C++, then use embedded Python to do more of the upper-level stuff.
09 Aug, 2010, Runter wrote in the 4th comment:
Python. And needing to code the core in C is certainly not required.
Definitely not easier.
The bottom line is you'll do more complex things in less time with python when compared to C++.

For the record, having written a nearly complete codebase in pure ruby I of course world recommend it.
www.tryruby.org
09 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 5th comment:
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll get back on track with my Python studies! :p

-Ghost
09 Aug, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 6th comment:
Upi vpfr oy om ejsyrbrt ;smhishr upi rmkpu@
09 Aug, 2010, quixadhal wrote in the 7th comment:
Yep, go straight to Python and don't look back. Remember, C is "portable" assembler. C++ is C with fancy makeup and a wig, and while many have been seduced by her deep husky voice, most tend to cringe when they get a look under the packaging.

The only suggestion I'll give beyond that is, take a good look at the idea of a driver/mudlib seperation. It may seem easier to just follow the Diku model and reboot when you need to change things, but abstracting that mudlib off lets you do all kinds of things in the future without handing the keys to the castle out to every coder.
09 Aug, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
No matter which language you choose, it is an obvious statement that you have to stick with something for a while before you get a result. So pick whatever you are most likely to stick with. Personally, I would recommend Python over C/C++ without any hesitation or doubt, for your purposes here. You are interested in writing MUDs, not learning the finer points of C/C++ like pointer manipulation, etc.
09 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 9th comment:
David Haley said:
No matter which language you choose, it is an obvious statement that you have to stick with something for a while before you get a result. So pick whatever you are most likely to stick with. Personally, I would recommend Python over C/C++ without any hesitation or doubt, for your purposes here. You are interested in writing MUDs, not learning the finer points of C/C++ like pointer manipulation, etc.

I totally understand what you're saying. I've been taking a lot of your guys' advice and I'm starting to understand data structures really well now. All I had to do was sit here and read then understand instead of going into battle with no skills.

Thanks much. :]

-Ghost
09 Aug, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 10th comment:
What's funny, is out of all the hobbies of mine, MUD programming takes the most time, is most
difficult, and probably the least rewarding, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
09 Aug, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 11th comment:
Sun Tzu's Art of War has some interesting things to say about this, like:
The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few calculations beforehand.

A saying I like in Latin is: "Festina lente", or "hurry slowly" – you always want to go forward, but not so quickly that you aren't actually making progress.
09 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 12th comment:
David Haley said:
Sun Tzu's Art of War has some interesting things to say about this, like:
The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few calculations beforehand.

A saying I like in Latin is: "Festina lente", or "hurry slowly" – you always want to go forward, but not so quickly that you aren't actually making progress.

I haven't actually read that book, but I have a book called "The Art of War for Writers". Basically the same thing, but replace warriors with writers. Ha ha.
09 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 13th comment:
JohnnyStarr said:
What's funny, is out of all the hobbies of mine, MUD programming takes the most time, is most
difficult, and probably the least rewarding, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I guess MUDing would be a hobby of mine, but I'm going to college for computer science. So programming will eventually be my career.
10 Aug, 2010, chrisd wrote in the 14th comment:
Python is an excellent choice for MUD programming. There are quite a few open source MUD codebases written in Python (see here).

If you do not know C/C++ at all, trying to learn either language by writing a MUD from scratch will put you on a fast road to failure.

I strongly suggest that you use a pre-existing codebase until you get more comfortable with the language you're using. There are a number of bare-bones ones available that do not make any assumptions about the type of game you will be building.
0.0/14