06 Feb, 2011, Idealiad wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
A post at textgaming got me wondering exactly which mobile/tablet mud clients are out there (starting with Android, as that's probably what I'll end up with when I join the 21st century). Besides some one-offs for specific games I only know of BlowTorch and Androidmudclient. Anyone mudding on their Android phone or tablet with something more than bare telnet or ssh?
06 Feb, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
I ssh into my home server on which I run a screen session with tinyfugue. The screen session helps work around any jumpiness in the mobile connection; I can lose connection to the home server without my MUD session dying.
06 Feb, 2011, Scandum wrote in the 3rd comment:
You'd probably want to take a look at TinTin++ before settling for Tinyfugue if you go the ssh route. TinTin++ has been compiled for the android, but I don't have any links to binaries or instructions.
06 Feb, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
The whole point is to not run it on the phone. Why should I take a look at tt++ rather than tf if using ssh? I already tried tt++ and it's not for me. :shrug:
06 Feb, 2011, Idealiad wrote in the 5th comment:
While I agree that ssh/screen is a good choice I don't think it would be the best setup for someone who hasn't played muds before or is just getting into them.

David, do you have a virtual keyboard on your phone or a physical one? How's the experience?
06 Feb, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 6th comment:
Oh, sure, it's not the best experience for newbies. In fact, it would be terrible for newbies; completely agreed. :smile:

I have a virtual keyboard. It can get a little difficult sometimes because the console application I have doesn't have any kind of spelling correction (which could be annoying depending on how you use the terminal).
06 Feb, 2011, Runter wrote in the 7th comment:
Phone-mudding just sounds like a terrible idea if the game involves a lot of typing.
06 Feb, 2011, Scandum wrote in the 8th comment:
David Haley said:
The whole point is to not run it on the phone. Why should I take a look at tt++ rather than tf if using ssh? I already tried tt++ and it's not for me. :shrug:

I was more so talking to anyone unfamiliar with console clients, as Tinyfugue hasn't been under active development for over 10 years.
07 Feb, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
Ahem… the home page has the last release as 2007. Granted that's not super-active, but that's not 10 years, either.
07 Feb, 2011, Runter wrote in the 10th comment:
Fwiw I only use bleeding edge software for my mudding needs.
07 Feb, 2011, plamzi wrote in the 11th comment:
Idealiad said:
A post at textgaming got me wondering exactly which mobile/tablet mud clients are out there (starting with Android, as that's probably what I'll end up with when I join the 21st century). Besides some one-offs for specific games I only know of BlowTorch and Androidmudclient. Anyone mudding on their Android phone or tablet with something more than bare telnet or ssh?

For what it's worth, I play immo all the time on the go without any issues. Granted, that's very different than mortal playing, but I've seen people clock hundreds of hours all on their cellphone, and get to max mortal level on multiple chars.

In case you haven't purchased an Android phone yet, I think for mudding iDevices are still considerably ahead. With the retina screen on iPhone4's, and also most likely coming to the new iPad, I would definitely not rush into Android. Hi-res makes a huge difference in reading text. There's also quite a few apps dedicated to MUD gaming:

For, iPhone/iPad, there's my client, MUDMaster, which supports a host of advanced features you would not expect from a mobile app, such as delay/repeat triggers. e. g. There's also "MobileMUD", "Pocket MUD", and "TMC Game Client". The last two are free. The TMC Game Client is more of a reference app than a gaming one but "Pocket MUD" shows promise (gets frequent updates, it seems).

For iPad, there's "MUD Client for iPad," which I've heard good things about. My app can also run on iPad, but it's upscaled so doesn't look as good. On the other hand, I recently added support for external keyboard, which the MUD Client doesn't have yet.
07 Feb, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
I don't think it's wholly fair to compare an iPad to an Android phone in terms of screen resolution… :wink:
07 Feb, 2011, Runter wrote in the 13th comment:
Btw, Plamzi, is your "mudmaster" client any relation to the semi-well known mud client mudmaster?
07 Feb, 2011, plamzi wrote in the 14th comment:
Runter said:
Btw, Plamzi, is your "mudmaster" client any relation to the semi-well known mud client mudmaster?

No relation at all. I chose the name and only later found that there was a desktop client called exactly the same. Weird, huh?
07 Feb, 2011, Runter wrote in the 15th comment:
plamzi said:
Runter said:

No relation at all. I chose the name and only later found that there was a desktop client called exactly the same. Weird, huh?

Yeah, I thought maybe you had made the other one. (Which I used for quite a few years.)
08 Feb, 2011, Idealiad wrote in the 16th comment:
plamzi said:
In case you haven't purchased an Android phone yet, I think for mudding iDevices are still considerably ahead. With the retina screen on iPhone4's, and also most likely coming to the new iPad, I would definitely not rush into Android. Hi-res makes a huge difference in reading text.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that at all. I'm more likely to get a tablet though (if this phone could sms that's what I'd get ;).
08 Feb, 2011, KaVir wrote in the 17th comment:
Idealiad said:

I got an Android (HTC Desire HD) on Saturday, and I've had a little play with BlowTorch - I have no problems reading the display, but (as with my iPod Touch) I find the small touchscreen very awkward for typing. A primarily graphical interface (like Bedlam) would make the game much more playable, I think.
08 Feb, 2011, plamzi wrote in the 18th comment:
KaVir said:
Idealiad said:

I got an Android (HTC Desire HD) on Saturday, and I've had a little play with BlowTorch - I have no problems reading the display, but (as with my iPod Touch) I find the small touchscreen very awkward for typing. A primarily graphical interface (like Bedlam) would make the game much more playable, I think.

Thanks for the plug, KaVir :redface:

I don't know what kind of UI and feature set BlowTorch has (it's still a young app) but I've been working very hard for the past year to make MUDMaster good enough for players used to advanced desktop MUD clients. Here's a link to the help file, where you can read up on the features. Basically, with the right combination of triggers, custom buttons, and recalling previous commands, I think you can play a MUD normally on an iPhone, and it doesn't have to be via a full GUI.
08 Feb, 2011, KaVir wrote in the 19th comment:
plamzi said:
I don't know what kind of UI and feature set BlowTorch has (it's still a young app)

These are the main features I noticed when playing around with it:

* Landscape/portrait orientation (autodetect or fixed).
* Supports ANSI colour, TTYPE, NAWS and MCCP.
* Customisable aliases, triggers, timers and buttons.
* Configurable fonts, font size, line spacing, wordwrap, scrollback buffer, etc.
* Settings can be imported and exported.

The buttons in particular are rather nice, in that you can define multiple button sets and quickly switch between them - so you could have one set for movement, another for combat, another for crafting, etc.

No energy bars yet, but apparently they're planned.
08 Feb, 2011, plamzi wrote in the 20th comment:
@KaVir

That's a pretty comprehensive list. Maybe you just need some time to get used to typing on your new phone. I've seen people who can text as fast as I can type on a desktop keyboard…

I'm sure Android devices are going to get better and better. But, if you can borrow an iPhone4 for a few min. and fire up any of the free MUD apps out there, you'll see what difference the retina screen makes. It's pretty astonishing.
0.0/35