07 Jun, 2011, Igabod wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I've just begun a project which I fully expect to be a difficult undertaking for me. However it is one which I am very excited about so I'm willing to try and learn more about coding to pull it off.

I'm going to be starting out using the swfotefuss code, but I plan on stripping everything that is starwars based and changing the theme completely. I am going with an ancient roman theme.

The reason I want to start with an swr based code is because I plan on having the ability to travel by sea from different parts of the roman empire. I intend on changing the space system quite a lot, but I have no clue where to start or even what I'm doing once I find out where to start. The first thing I want to change is to remove the third set of coordinates from travel, that third set is useless in a nautical theme.

I have a few ideas for that, they may not be the correct way of doing things and I expect to be corrected if they arent. The most simple solution I can think of is to just hide that third set of coordinates from players. Leaving the coordinates alone in the code, and just setting the third coordinate to 0000 for all locations, as well as having to modify the calc and course commands to automatically input 0000 for that coordinate.

I'm unsure of what pitfalls might lurk in that method though and would like some input from anybody who might have experience in this area. Also, if anybody has any better suggestions for me I'd be very receptive
09 Jun, 2011, Igabod wrote in the 2nd comment:
so nobody has any suggestions or anything for me on this?
09 Jun, 2011, Runter wrote in the 3rd comment:
The best suggestion I've got is pace yourself, start small and w.r.t. scaffolding out your game don't build the golden gate where rope bridges would suffice.
09 Jun, 2011, Idealiad wrote in the 4th comment:
My first impression was that using smaug as a base for ocean travel you were in for more trouble than it was worth, but since I know very little about smaug I decided to keep my mouth shut. I guess I just blew that though. :)
09 Jun, 2011, reichard wrote in the 5th comment:
I would suggest first touching up on your Linear Algebra. It is not difficult by any means, and should get you started on the right track to creating a 2D ocean travel system. Personally, I would not use an existing code-base just because it has a space system in it. Also keep in mind that the math routines are for three dimensions, so you will end up writing your own routines anyhow.

Some decent tutorials on the subject:
http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/07/linear-a...
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?to...

These are beginner-friendly tutorials and should be enough to get you started.

Hope it helps!
10 Jun, 2011, KaVir wrote in the 6th comment:
Igabod said:
The first thing I want to change is to remove the third set of coordinates from travel, that third set is useless in a nautical theme.

Unless the theme includes mythological underwater creatures…
10 Jun, 2011, reichard wrote in the 7th comment:
KaVir said:
Igabod said:
The first thing I want to change is to remove the third set of coordinates from travel, that third set is useless in a nautical theme.

Indeed if the OP wanted the ability to go underwater instead of having random encounters in two dimensional space, then an SWR derived code-base begins to make more sense.
10 Jun, 2011, Runter wrote in the 8th comment:
KaVir said:
Igabod said:

It depends on what you want to model..but I also see reasons to keep third dimensions. Wreckage and schools of fish come to mind.
10 Jun, 2011, Idealiad wrote in the 9th comment:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like he'll have to redesign the whole user interface for his ocean travel. Since the core of the 3D system is not that complex, he's better off building from the ground up to better suit the gameplay and interface he wants.
17 Sep, 2012, dnicolai wrote in the 10th comment:
I think that instead of building it with SWFotE you should look at AFKMud. The overland map system might be a bit more of what you are wanting, though you would have to build in ship/ship combat and such.
19 Sep, 2012, Hades_Kane wrote in the 11th comment:
There are other coordinate based overland map systems than the space travel. The person above me recommended AFKMud but I can't speak to that personally, but I've seen plenty out there that only bother with [X,Y].

I also wonder if it might be less work to start with a more basic codebase either with an X/Y world map (or one that you could adapt an existing oen to work with) and then build upon that, rather than doing a lot of tearing out of a more advanced one to get back to basic, to then build upon.

I also had that thought about keeping the third dimension, though, to allow things like underwater travel.
0.0/11