15 Jun, 2010, Kline wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I'm looking for an individual to design a website for a small home photography business. I can't see it being much larger than 10 pages (prices, calendar/schedule, contact info, room for portfolio, etc) in total, and would like it to be easily maintainable as far as updating existing content or adding new content (editing calendar/adding photos mostly).

Anything that will run on LAMP technology is fine as long as I can get a for-web-dummies guide on how to maintain it :). I can stumble my way through most HTML, CSS, and PHP; but I'm not proficient enough to make anything pretty looking that wouldn't be a beast to keep updated.

In exchange, I'd like to offer myself to assist in any dangling code projects you may have (C/C++) or building a unique area or two for your game. Most of my building experience is on Ack! based games, but I am willing to learn a new system to accommodate. I can also provide hosting/development space for the purposes of designing or testing the website I am asking for. If you'd like to see work samples, I have a few things in the repository here and I also maintain AckFUSS. You can browse full releases or just skim through the subversion link for more details.

Thanks for reading!
24 Jun, 2011, Nathan wrote in the 2nd comment:
Good luck with that. Of those page types, minus the styling of the page, the calendar and portfolio will be the most difficult if you want them to be editable/dynamic. You might want to try and see if you can find a usable ready-made solution, as I believe they exist and will no doubt be able to handle anything that most people can make easily.

You'll probably want it to be able to (at the very least):
- watermark any photo
- create a scaled down photo to view in a gallery page
- show an overlay box that shows the full picture and allows browsing.

Some software out there is: Gallery (http://gallery.menalto.com/), or Coppermine (http://coppermine-gallery.net/)They may be and probably are overkill, in which case you can try going for something really simple that uses just css, html and maybe some scripting (PHP, javascript?). http://www.w3schools.com/CSS/css_image_g... is an example of the beginnings of such an idea. PHP has an include thingy which makes it easy to include another html page inside of the main one.

Also, if your comfortable with it, you may try using the ability to embed a google calendar into a web page as a temporary or long term solution to an actual calendar application in the site. Google's calendar is easy to edit and work with on the whole, and is easily embeddable. Although, unless you have a google mail account for your site email (could, but you could also run your own email server maybe) it might be too public for you.

If you need help with web programming, http://www.w3schools.com/ is a super reference for all of the bits you mentioned and more.
24 Jun, 2011, Dean wrote in the 3rd comment:
Kline said:
I'm looking for an individual to design a website for a small home photography business. I can't see it being much larger than 10 pages (prices, calendar/schedule, contact info, room for portfolio, etc) in total, and would like it to be easily maintainable as far as updating existing content or adding new content (editing calendar/adding photos mostly).

Anything that will run on LAMP technology is fine as long as I can get a for-web-dummies guide on how to maintain it :). I can stumble my way through most HTML, CSS, and PHP; but I'm not proficient enough to make anything pretty looking that wouldn't be a beast to keep updated.

In exchange, I'd like to offer myself to assist in any dangling code projects you may have (C/C++) or building a unique area or two for your game. Most of my building experience is on Ack! based games, but I am willing to learn a new system to accommodate. I can also provide hosting/development space for the purposes of designing or testing the website I am asking for. If you'd like to see work samples, I have a few things in the repository here and I also maintain AckFUSS. You can browse full releases or just skim through the subversion link for more details.

Thanks for reading!

Have you looked into using Wordpress as a CMS at all, Kline? There's plenty of plugins and themes, both free and paid, geared towards photography.
24 Jun, 2011, Runter wrote in the 4th comment:
Dean said:
Have you looked into using Wordpress as a CMS at all, Kline? There's plenty of plugins and themes, both free and paid, geared towards photography.

This was a 1 year necro, so he may not even need this any more. :P
24 Jun, 2011, Dean wrote in the 5th comment:
That's what I get for only partially reading the date. :P
24 Jun, 2011, learycm wrote in the 6th comment:
For a smaller photography site you should just install Wordpress + NextGEN Gallery. I've done a website for a local photographer this way and she loved it. If you aren't web-design friendly just pick out a nice theme from Wordpress.org's theme repo.
03 Jul, 2011, Kline wrote in the 7th comment:
learycm said:
For a smaller photography site you should just install Wordpress + NextGEN Gallery. I've done a website for a local photographer this way and she loved it. If you aren't web-design friendly just pick out a nice theme from Wordpress.org's theme repo.

Thanks, I'll check this out. Been using some of the pre-done Flash templates @ Wix.com since my OP here. It's not bad for $99/yr, but if I can go on the cheap for similar results I always like to try :)
05 Jul, 2011, basicallyanalt wrote in the 8th comment:
Yeah, I enjoy making websites, and yours sounds like a simple one to do with Wordpress. If you're paying $99 a year, someone here can definitely do better for you (think: free). Especially depending on how you're hosting your domain name, you can probably get a free wordpress.com site and do a URL forward or I could let you use some of the extra space on my hosting account.

A couple of wordpress themes that I have designed or customized can be found at notetopic dot com, lacanadathursdayclub dot com, and dukejournal dot org.
0.0/8