04 Jul, 2011, Kregor wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Just thought I'd share a little tippet that I figured out after a few hours of troubleshooting my codebase on a new Mac that was crashing after compile while still compiling and running flawlessly on the older Mac I'd been working on:

The newest flavors of *nix are addressing the issue of 2038 by redefining time_t as a long int. This can cause issues when treating a time_t value like an int in your legacy code base once you compile and run the code on a 64-bit system (I know for sure on Mac OS 10.6+, and likely the 64-bit flavor of your fave Linux). On mine, I finally had to track down and replace all the int's that referenced my mud time (the function that returns a date/time string, as a good example), and change them to long.

The mud stopped crashing at every function that called current_time, and as a side benefit, I don't have to worry about scurrying around at the end of 2037 trying to keep my mud from shutting down! >.>
04 Jul, 2011, quixadhal wrote in the 2nd comment:
Technically, you shouldn't be using either int or long, but time_t, since it will be the correct size on the system it's being compiled on. Meaning in another 10 years when 128-bit ints are normal, you won't have to go fix it again.
04 Jul, 2011, Kaz wrote in the 3rd comment:
Also, long might well still be 32-bit. You might want long long, which might be 64-bit (although using time_t is still better).
04 Jul, 2011, Kregor wrote in the 4th comment:
Yes, but… how do you reference time_t in a print to string function except with %d (or %ld in the new case)?
04 Jul, 2011, Scandum wrote in the 5th comment:
The most robust work around is probably to cast it to (long long) and use %lld
04 Jul, 2011, Kaz wrote in the 6th comment:
My suggestion would be to use something that knows about time_t, like strftime, which will do the conversion properly.
04 Jul, 2011, quixadhal wrote in the 7th comment:
You use %zd, which is designed for size_t (IE: uses the correct integer size for the environment).

time_t foo = time();
printf("%zd\n", (size_t)foo);
0.0/7