02 Sep, 2011, Runter wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
I'm not interested in debating if minecraft is unique.

Yes, companies want to make a profit. Yes, users buy titles they want to play. Yes, "redundant" gameplay and iterations on it are what many users want to play. What exactly are you speaking truth to power about? Nothing. You've made righteously indignant statements about something you apparently know little about. You should just start a thread on just rage with the title "MOAR INDIE GAMES". You'll get more play that way, probably. And your baseless insults will be welcome there.
02 Sep, 2011, Vatiken wrote in the 22nd comment:
Littlehorn said:
I'm saying that game designers are not designing a game with money on their mind. There is a huge difference between a developer and a publisher. There is also a huge difference between a game designer and a producer. Game Designers are not running around trying to figure out how much money they will be making by what feature they are adding to a game. There are no meetings being conducted with flow charts of profit per feature added to the game. The Publisher on the other hand may have a different opinion because ultimately, it's their investment in the developer of the game. I would say in the end, it's a good balance of both with the publisher in wanting something that sells well and also meets the demands of the developer in their partnership.

And I'm saying you are 100% right, and not once did I make any statement disagreeing with that fact. Often though, in large companys, the publisher will veto ideas whether it be in music, games, or movies if they feel it will have a negative impact on the products ability to sell. In the "text based game designed by hobbyist" world though, more often then not, the publisher and designer are the same person, and the publisher typically is investing purely time and perhaps a few bucks per month in hosting. The publisher/designer in the MUD world also typically works for the pure enjoyment of it, and no, that's not to say a game designer working in a big studio doesn't like video games, as it will be assumed that's what I mean.

Littlehorn said:
However, what I'm saying is that you're misunderstanding that you can focus on making something that's attractable without the point of how much profit the game will make if you add XY and Z to the final product. Logically, if you make a game that's fun to your target segment, it will sell regardless.

And that, once again, is true. However, with each X, Y and Z, you reduce your potential target segment.

• X: If you decide to make a first person shooter, some people don't find those fun.

• Y: Now you add RPG elements, but many FPS purists don't find that fun.

• Z: Now you place the game in space, but the sci-fi genre isn't liked by all, thus not fun.

• etc…

• Now many people consider your game not fun, and thus they won't buy it. Luckily, the target audience for FPS/RPG games in space is high this month, and your game sells well. That is unless you add variable 'T', which is "Game is completely in text", which will reduce your target audience to about 7. :lol:

Littlehorn said:
    That's not to say big projects don't think about what sells and doesn't sell. That's ultimately up to the publisher and the producers assigned to the project. But to think, that it's all driven by profit is pretty far from the truth. I've never met a game designer, nor worked on a multi-million dollar project where designers are running around thinking what cool new design will pull in the most profit. It's actually more about what will be attractable to the target of players they are aiming for while fitting with the theme of the game. Which might I add, is still the same for MUDs because your goal should be the same – designing something that's attractable to the segment of MUDDers you want to play your game.

Again, I agree, but like I previously mentioned MUD designers don't have to worry about the bottom line. A large studio can suffer irreversible financial damage by making the wrong design choices. And even if the damage isn't significant, if the profit isn't what they expect, the game design is often changed to attempt to broaden the audience(which is to bring in more money, btw). One only has to look at the various franchises that have been "dumbed" down as the originals became more popular, "The Settlers", "Sim City" and "Dragon Age" come to mind.

If I add some feature and it doesn't go over well, I make a choice to keep or remove it, and then carry on. Besides, there are many MUDs out there that function fine using systems that involve Furry sex, so I'm sure I can find someone who likes whatever I've implemented.

Littlehorn said:
    If you spend a year making a MUD that only caters to 2 or 5 people, then that's a lot of time wasted because you decided to go against the grain. Regardless of money, it's all very relevant to your project. The idea is to make a fun kickass game for the target audience you know your MUD will fill some type of gap. If you decide to go off the beaten path, then like I said, you could find yourself on a very dead game.

This is where I disagree, whole-heartedly. And this is my OPINION, not me claiming as fact, or such nonsense as what's-his-face said. For myself, designing a game that I, ME, like to play, is what I enjoy doing. If there are 2 other people, or 200 who feel the same way about what I believe is a "fun" game, then that's great, but at the same time, I'm not willing to sacrifice everything I believe is fun, so I can bring in more players. As a stated way back up in this post, with every X, Y, and Z your game is, you risk losing players, but at some point you have to stand your ground and say "I want X, Y and Z". For instance, RPI games seem to be doing rather well these days, so perhaps making an RPI is the way to go if I want to attract the most players and not "waste" my time. But I'm not a huge fan of RPI, so I'll accept the fact I might lose that part of the MUDing audience, by going in another direction.

Littlehorn said:
    That's both true and false. The MUD genre overall is very much niche, but there is still segments of players who prefer different types of MUDs. That's why there is so many different types of MUDs that are still holding solid player bases. The flow of new players to the MUD genre is almost non-existent from what it was 10 years ago. Therefore, the need to re-use systems proven in other MUDs and possibly in popular MMO's is more relevant than anything before simply because everything has been done before… …And ideally, the market for MMO's is so vast now, appealing to MMO players would almost be ideal for saving the MUD community in re-using systems like you find in WoW to pull them over to MUDs.

Agree to disagree, —> IMO <—, as a player, found the reason I returned to MUDs from MMO's was because I found them to cater too much towards the player and his wallet. MMOs, for good reason, don't want to risk implementing features that might upset parts of their audience, even if other people may enjoy it. MUDs, —> IMO <—, need to offer something different, as opposed to just being a "Generic MMO without Graphics".

Littlehorn said:
    However, you can look at it any way you wish. You are right, the risk is not as high as say losing millions of dollars. But, if you think that you're going to pull people in a declining niche market with innovative foreign systems, then you may be in for a uphill battle my friend. :biggrin:

For the record, those "innovative foreign systems" I was referencing were things like RP, PK, Player Generated Content, Player Run-Cities, etc…

Littlehorn said:
    I don't understand what you mean. Do you not design your MUD to be played by others? If so, why wouldn't you want to design something that is attractable to as many players as possible that enjoy the style of game you are developing? I mean, I wouldn't decline having hundreds of thousands of players on my MUD. I have a hard enough time keeping a few dozen with my crazy concepts alone. Why on earth would you not want to pull new faces to your game as well just to the MUD genre? Maybe I lost you somewhere in that statement.

I'm a little lost myself as you claim you have "a hard enough time keeping a few dozen with my crazy concepts alone". Thus, shouldn't I be asking you why you don't do away with those crazy concepts in a bid to attract more players?

Littlehorn said:
    Don't get me wrong on your argument here, it just sounds like you're saying that AAA game developers are only about the profit. I'm trying to make a stance here they are not all about the profit. It's very much still about making games that rock and also sell not because they are so hung up on profit, but because they are hung up on what's fun to play. And what's fun to play by logic, sells. :cool:

My logic, simply put,
    if (Game->cost_to_make > LOTS_OF_MONEY && Game->profit < Game->cost_to_make) {
    do_bankruptcy(Game->studio);
    do_fire_all_staff(Game->studio);
    }

MUDs get to skip the above function, as such, are more free to less then mainstream ideas. As whats "fun" to you, might not be "fun" to me.

Believe it or not, some people find sh*tting on someone's chest's fun, doesn't mean I want it in my games.
    02 Sep, 2011, Vatiken wrote in the 23rd comment:
    Littlehorn said:
    This depends on the developer. In most cases, if you're not finding it in the game it's because there was not enough time, not enough budget or the design it self was not ideal for the target (bad game design or not fun).

Very true, except for many of the players who fringe on the target audience of MMOs. Those players who like on-line RPGs, but want to have rampant PKing, or enforced IC interaction for example. I can't imagine Blizzard enforcing RP in WoW at anytime soon for those players wanting it, and that's understandable. Once again, to make clear, I'm not implying they should as that isn't their target audience.

To sum up the majority of the thread:
    What I'm trying to say, is that those fringe players are for more likely to find a home on a MUD then in a AAA title, for numerous reasons, one of which is financial.

Runter said:
    ***FLAME BAIT***

No thanks.
    02 Sep, 2011, donky wrote in the 24th comment:
    Anyone got design documents they used for their MUD and are particulary proud of, that they want to share as an example of what others should do? :smile:
    02 Sep, 2011, Athanos wrote in the 25th comment:
    donky said:
    Anyone got design documents they used for their MUD and are particulary proud of, that they want to share as an example of what others should do? :smile:

I was about to ask this myself. I know that the documents will very greatly, but some examples would be helpful for those of us who are new to design documentation, or even documentation period.
    02 Sep, 2011, AppendixG wrote in the 26th comment:
    donky said:

Personally, I use Zim Desktop Wiki to write my documents. It lets me cross-reference everything as well as having separate pages for story, mechanics, features, equations and so forth.

I'll post a few pages from our current project, just to give you an idea of what I mean when I say 'design document'. After I've filled out the wiki, I usually take the information there and boil it down into a simpler PDF, using Lyx, that I can send to programmers or individual designers.

Here's an example of one for one of our races:

Ashlar

See: Ashlar

Once the structure was complete, the Board of Ingress voted unanimously that its location and design were to be closely guarded secrets of the state. They called the Artificer into their chambers and there they subdued him and forced upon him a solution of lye and water such that his tongue was burned out and ensured that he could never speak the name of the place he had built. The Ashlar trace their roots through the blood of the Artificer, to that original architect, Itzli, who was prophesied by Asher to build a monument that would cast all others into shadow. When a child of the Ashlar reaches adulthood, they must undergo the agony of their kin - that same punishment meted out to the Artificer - to serve as a constant reminder that their every action reflects upon their noble heritage.

Art: Cremaster 3

Area: The Ziggurats of the Mystagogues: located near the Chrysler building, in neighboring plains

Description: Based very loosely on "The Entered Apprentice" from the Cremaster films. Their mutation exists due to a historical ritual which they undergo at the age of 13. This causes their teeth to fall out and their skin to become pink and raw. They claim to have built Mt. Chrysler (they lie) and all of their architecture style is based on it. They are entirely self deluded and convinced of their own nobility.

Charisma: 16
    Constitution: 13
    Agility: 10
    Intelligence: 14
    Strength: 11

Advantages: level 1 resistance to cutting; level 1 resistance to blunt; level 1 resistance to piercing
    Disadvantages: level 1 pill penalty; level 1 sip penalty

Here's the page on our statistics:

Statistics are based on a combination of level and Attributes with a small flat number added.

Health

level * 85 * ( 1 - e^( -constitution / 18 ) ) + 350

* Based on Constitution.
    * Based on hunger level: level 0 hunger is +20%; level 1 hunger is +16%; level 2 hunger is +12%; level 3 hunger is +8%; level 4 hunger is +4%; level 5 hunger is +0%.
    * Physical skills use health points.
    * Damage takes health points.
    * Represented by an "h" in the prompt.

When reduced to 0%: Character begins randomly lapsing in and out of consciousness until raised above 25%. Regeneration ceases to work. If you remain at 0% for 6s, you die.

Mind

level * 85 * ( 1 - e^( -intelligence / 18 ) ) + 350

* Based on Intelligence.
    * Based on thirst level: level 0 thirst is +20%; level 1 thirst is +16%; level 2 thirst is +12%; level 3 thirst is +8%; level 4 thirst is +4%; level 5 thirst is +0%.
    * Magic skills use mind points.
    * Mind-drain damage takes mind points.
    * Represented by an "m" in the prompt.

When reduced to 0%: Character begins becoming randomly stunned until raised above 25%.

Psyche

level * 85 * ( 1 - e^( -charisma / 18 ) ) + 350

* Based on Charisma.
    * Based on tiredness level: level 0 tiredness is +20%; level 1 tiredness is +16%; level 2 tiredness is +12%; level 3 tiredness is +8%; level 4 tiredness is +4%; level 5 tiredness is +0%.
    * Psyche skills take psyche points.
    * Psyche skills use psyche points.
    * Represented by a "p" in the prompt.

When reduced to 0%: Character begins randomly falling asleep until raised above 25%.

Potential

* Ranges from 0 to 100.
    * Represented by being in "<" and ">" in the prompt.
    * Potential gradually regains at a rate of 1 potential every 3-5 seconds.
    * There are skills to actively regain potential; for example a skill that takes 3s balance but says, "You regain 20 potential."

Reflexes

AGI / ( AGI^2.3 ) * 35

* Based on AGI.
    * Determine the balance time incurred by using "Reaction" type skills.

And here's one that covers story elements pertaining to the character Arrington Propp:

Overview

* He is Kessler's second - and final - biographer. He is hired by the Kessler Estate after Kessler dies and tasked with writing an "authorized" biography, titled: "That Rung Called I: The Life of William Kessler"
    * He begins by quoting from and refuting the draft of Elmyr van Pallandt's autobiography; using letters written by Kessler, investigative journalism, public records, interviews, etc.
    * Eventually, he gets entangled into the details of the Metastructure and the book and footnotes begin getting weirder and more personal.
    * Charters a boat to Sentinel Island to check it out.
    * He discredits things, then, later comes to believe them and uses them as leads to track other things down.
    * He is Jewish
    * Propp is allowed unprecedented access to the Kessler vault, that is where he finds the Van Pallandt draft; it is partially destroyed

Propp's Arc

(Note: Incomplete, based on Vladimir Propp's Folktale Formula)

* Initial situation: Introduction, by Propp, enumerates who he is, what schools he graduated from, where he has been published, what awards he has received, details about his family, etc.

* Member of family absents themselves: His wife leaves him and goes to stay with her mother.

* Interdiction: Someone approaches Propp, tells him that he will soon be offered a job and that he should not take it.

* Interdiction is violated: Propp takes the job, writing Kessler's biography.

And another with a small snippet of the organized timeline:

Legend:

(a: x): Age of the preceding character
    R: Event occurs in the Real World
    S: Event occurs in the Simulated World
    V: Event is claimed to have occurred by Elmyr van Pallandt

Very Early (Formation 1)

R: Charles Fisher (a: 0) is born

R: Sister Miriam (a: 33) secretly gives birth to Anna (Andy) Dahl (a: 0) while residing at a convent for the Church of Saint Rita of Cascia

R: William Kessler (a: 0) is born

R: Achilles Agoraeus (a: 28) designs the Old Yellow Motel, it is his first design

R: Achilles Agoraeus (a: 30) designs the building that will later become Little Henry's School for Wayward Boys; its original function is to serve as the Wounded Sparrow Sanatorium

R: While working as a builder for the Wounded Sparrow Sanatorium, Hopper Leavy (a: 44) fully recovers from a terminal illness

R: Wounded Sparrow Sanatorium files bankruptcy before opening; the bank takes the property

R: Achilles Agoraeus' (a: 33) wife gives birth to Antares Agoraeus (a: 0) and Zylon Agoraeus (a: 0)

R: Church of Saint Rita of Cascia purchases the Wounded Sparrow Sanatorium property with the intent to convert it into Little Henry's School for Wayward Boys

R: Little Henry's School for Wayward Boys alters Achilles Agoraeus's (a: 34) original design, bulldozing the morgue and placing a chapel where it used to stand

R: Little Henry's School for Wayward Boys opens

R: Sister Miriam (a: 36) is sent to work at Little Henry's School for Wayward Boys; she disguises Anna (Andy) Dahl (a: 3) as a boy and enrolls her in the school

Early (Formation 2)

R: William Kessler (a: 9) is remanded to the custody of the state and sent to Little Henry's School for Wayward Boys

R: William Kessler (a: 9) is bullied by Johnny Lawrence (a: 11), an older boy; Charles Fisher (a: 10) intervenes and the two become inseparable

R: William Kessler (a: 9) and Charles Fisher (a: 10) form a friendship with Anna (Andy) Dahl (a: 9); they do not yet know that she is female

R: William Kessler (a: 11) discovers that Anna (Andy) Dahl (a: 12) is a girl

R: Anna (Andy) Dahl (a: 12) kisses William Kessler (a: 12) on the cheek; this is William Kessler's fondest memory

R: Sister Miriam (a: 46) and Anna (Andy) Dahl (a: 13) are sent away; William Kessler (a: 12) never sees her again

R: Johnny Lawrence (a: 15) is assigned to work with the Kingdom's Gate Mining Co., his behavior changes drastically

R: Charles Fisher (a: 14) carves a cowboy figurine for William Kessler (a: 13) out of a wax candle; it becomes his most cherished possession

R: Johnny Lawrence (a: 16) is taken away by Los Hermanos del Latigo

R: Johnny Lawrence (a: 16) gets tuberculosis and dies; Charles Fisher (a: 15) and William Kessler (a: 14) hear him coughing, late at night, then one day the coughing stops

R: Charles Fisher (a: 15) finds out that he will be assigned to work with the Kingdom's Gate Mining Co.

R: Charles Fisher (a: 15) and William Kessler (a: 14) run away from Little Henry's School for Wayward Boys

R: Charles Fisher (a: 15) and William Kessler (a: 14) encounter Chaz Sandau (a: 30) while on the road

R: Charles Fisher (a: 15) and William Kessler (a: 14) begin living inside one of the attractions at Enchanted Village Theme Park, LLC

R: Charles Fisher (a: 16) and William Kessler (a: 15) are discovered and kicked out of Enchanted Village Theme Park, LLC

R: Charles Fisher (a: 16) and William Kessler (a: 15) are taken in by the optician Dr. Theodore K. Hamilton (a: 54)

R: ZZZ Corporation acquires the Old Yellow Motel

R: Anna (Andy) Dahl (a: 19) has her portrait painted by the artist Gustave Courbet (a: 29)

R: Anna (Andy) Dahl (a: 20) dies of cyanide poisoning at the Driscoll House as a result of the staff failing to clear the room after using hydrogen cyanide to treat it for bedbugs
    05 Sep, 2011, donky wrote in the 27th comment:
    AppendixG said:
    donky said:

Personally, I use Zim Desktop Wiki to write my documents. It lets me cross-reference everything as well as having separate pages for story, mechanics, features, equations and so forth.

That's an excellent tip.

Editing a remote wiki feels disjoint and inconvenient. I need solutions that recognise the reality of the world, that you're not always going to have an internet connection. That you may just want to spin something up and type away. I used to install apache and moinmoin, but the sysadmin component of using that was onerous. There is of course also TiddlyWiki, but it just doesn't feel right.

Thanks for the examples.
    05 Sep, 2011, AppendixG wrote in the 28th comment:
    Editing a remote wiki feels disjoint and inconvenient. I need solutions that recognise the reality of the world, that you're not always going to have an internet connection. That you may just want to spin something up and type away. I used to install apache and moinmoin, but the sysadmin component of using that was onerous. There is of course also TiddlyWiki, but it just doesn't feel right.

Exactly, Zim definitely has its pitfalls (there are some formatting oddities) but for ease of use and the ability to just load it up and edit things anywhere, it's the best I've found.

Plus, I'm paranoid and like to back everything up constantly. Zim lets me just quickly create a zip file, burn it to a CD or email it to myself and be backed up in seconds.
    07 Sep, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 29th comment:
    AppendixG said:
    edit things anywhere

It seems to me that if you actually mean "anywhere", the online solution is in fact far better. Your desktop solution will only work on the one computer you installed it on…

Agreed that having to run your own Apache server is a pain, but then, there are other solutions for online editing than wikis on Apache servers.
    07 Sep, 2011, Tyche wrote in the 30th comment:
    I've been messing around with FreeMind for a couple of weeks.
    Unfortunately, it hasn't changed my life yet.
    07 Sep, 2011, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 31st comment:
    donky said:

Unless you are working with a team of coder, your design is in your head, no need to write it. The best documentation is up to date unit tests. Somehow I rarely see a non paying(or hoping to be paid for one day) project having any of them.
    07 Sep, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 32nd comment:
    Rarva said:
    Unless you are working with a team of coder, your design is in your head, no need to write it.

Completely disagreed. This is basically saying you should never need to write anything down to remember it.
    07 Sep, 2011, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 33rd comment:
    David Haley said:
    Rarva said:
    Unless you are working with a team of coder, your design is in your head, no need to write it.

Completely disagreed. This is basically saying you should never need to write anything down to remember it.

Now we came to design to 'anything' quite a broad generalisation…
    07 Sep, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 34th comment:
    Well, if your MUD design document is simple enough that it fits in a few pages, I'd say you might be right. But I'd also say that your MUD is far simpler than many other MUDs out there.

Even if it were just a few pages long, things like formulas can be very difficult to remember over the long term.

The only way that this makes sense is if you consider the code to be a "design document"… and unit tests are not documentation of game design.
    08 Sep, 2011, Davion wrote in the 35th comment:
    donky said:

If you check out [post=36433]this post[/post] you can see KaVir's two documentations for GW2. The whole thread in general is pretty awesome.

[link=2190]topic[/link]
    08 Sep, 2011, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 36th comment:
    David Haley said:
    Well, if your MUD design document is simple enough that it fits in a few pages, I'd say you might be right. But I'd also say that your MUD is far simpler than many other MUDs out there.

Even if it were just a few pages long, things like formulas can be very difficult to remember over the long term.

The only way that this makes sense is if you consider the code to be a "design document"… and unit tests are not documentation of game design.

Formulas are to be tested in unit tests, tests are to be documented so they explain what the test does.

Mud design, in my mind, is more of a 'I want to achieve this kind of gameplay in this kind of world'. Something that will probably evolve depending on what you think of or what people tells you, something that will only be over when the code itself is on its first release. (and it will looks like more of a todo list than a design document until it is over)
    08 Sep, 2011, Littlehorn wrote in the 37th comment:
    I don't like Wiki's myself, but they do come in handy for larger teams.

As far as documentation goes, I still prefer everything on a shared network of documents. That way everyone has access to those documents and they are at least on disk somewhere outside of a wiki.

When it comes to formats, the most basic formats work the best with a good legend and change history. It should be like code, very readable with comments that cut to the chase on what should be what. Getting too detailed becomes a pain to read and logic should be applied everywhere. Also, don't forget pretty pictures when necessary (like maps and such).
    08 Sep, 2011, donky wrote in the 38th comment:
    Rarva.Riendf said:
    donky said:

Unless you are working with a team of coder, your design is in your head, no need to write it. The best documentation is up to date unit tests. Somehow I rarely see a non paying(or hoping to be paid for one day) project having any of them.

I've never read other people's unit tests and had the same thought as you express here. And I certainly don't have it when I revisit my own. This opinion is one I am never going to share.
    08 Sep, 2011, Kaz wrote in the 39th comment:
    David Haley said:
    AppendixG said:
    edit things anywhere

It seems to me that if you actually mean "anywhere", the online solution is in fact far better. Your desktop solution will only work on the one computer you installed it on…

Or, you could install some Cloud storage, such as my personal favourite, Dropbox, and put your documents in there. Then "anywhere" means (more or less) "any computer with an internet connection". Local and Online are now the same :)
    08 Sep, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 40th comment:
    Kaz said:
    Or, you could install some Cloud storage, such as my personal favourite, Dropbox, and put your documents in there. Then "anywhere" means (more or less) "any computer with an internet connection". Local and Online are now the same :)

Well, yes, this is an online solution. :smile: But, that said, you haven't truly solved the problem. Now you need to worry about keeping everything in sync; if the editing itself is done online then that problem goes away.

Cloud storage is indeed better than local storage, though, when it comes to "anywhere" actually meaning "anywhere". :smile:

donky said:
    This opinion is one I am never going to share.

s/share/change/ ?

That said I agree that unit tests are not documentation of high-level design. They are documentation of intent, perhaps, as in calling these functions with those arguments should produce this result. But that's very different from documenting the intent that mages should be powerful against groups but not individuals, or that warriors should be strong against weapon damage but not magic damage, etc. In fact, I have trouble conceiving how somebody could even claim that a unit test captures high-level design. It's as if we're speaking of entirely different concepts.
    20.0/52