30 Nov, 2011, jurdendurden wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Here is the part of the function:

#if defined(unix)
/* decompress if .gz file exists */
sprintf (strsave, "%s%s%s", PLAYER_DIR, capitalize (name), ".gz");
if ((fp = fopen (strsave, "r")) != NULL)
{
fclose (fp);
sprintf (buf, "gzip -dfq %s", strsave);
system (buf);
}
#endif

So essentially this will uncompress player file .gz files? I can't imagine why it would need this…
30 Nov, 2011, jurdendurden wrote in the 2nd comment:
I'm tired but I really don't see the need in this part at all unless you are constantly loading from backup .gz files.
30 Nov, 2011, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 3rd comment:
Maybe you also save the regular files zipped (I know I do not, bad idea, make them humanly unreadable, and disk space is cheap nowadays, especially since those files are not really big at all)
30 Nov, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
You'd have to look at the saving portion, but it looks like it's doing that to load from compressed files presumably because it saved compressed files.

Disk space is not cheap on most shared hosted servers, by the way.
30 Nov, 2011, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 5th comment:
David Haley said:
Disk space is not cheap on most shared hosted servers, by the way.

My 2650 player files takes 20mega. Uncompressed.
30 Nov, 2011, Runter wrote in the 6th comment:
Well, it shouldn't be an issue, but some shared box mud hosts have paltry offerings. Like 50-100 megs total harddrive.
01 Dec, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
Yep. It wouldn't be unusual for the code, intermediate compiler files and final output (esp. with debugging) to be a good 50mb. Add in some 20mb worth of area files… some room for backups… and you easily have 100mb without even getting to the player files.

If you're paying more than a few bucks for the shared host, or you have your own server, then obviously disk usage won't be your main concern, but this is not the case for most people.
01 Dec, 2011, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 8th comment:
I stand corrected then, I did not know there was offer that low. You cannot even find a usb key that small nowadays.
01 Dec, 2011, Kline wrote in the 9th comment:
Rarva.Riendf said:
I stand corrected then, I did not know there was offer that low. You cannot even find a usb key that small nowadays.

No, but you can find them smaller. My father-in-law gave me a 64MB USB stick he received from a pharmaceutical rep (he's a pharmacy tech himself) that just had some promotional PDFs on it for "the greatest new drug".
01 Dec, 2011, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
Yeah, they made a whole lot of those back in the day and they're still circulating them. I don't think they still make that many of them, though, but I could be mistaken.
01 Dec, 2011, oenone wrote in the 11th comment:
Well, that code doesn't save space, it unzips the files and keeps both versions - so it actually uses more space!
01 Dec, 2011, Kline wrote in the 12th comment:
David Haley said:
Yeah, they made a whole lot of those back in the day and they're still circulating them. I don't think they still make that many of them, though, but I could be mistaken.

Nope, still making them surprisingly. Quite a few new ones on Amazon too O.O
0.0/12