01 Sep, 2012, Maddy wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey folks.

I'm looking for a Head Builder for newly established CircleMud (tbaMUD codebase to be exact). Currently I'm the only staff, working mainly as a coder.

The mud will focus heavily on PK, and full looting of player's corpses will be allowed. The goal is not to have tons of classes, races and skills like some MUDs. We will rather have only few classes and skills, but try to make them very polished and balanced. The theme of the mud is fantasy.

Your jobs as the Head Builder will include:
- Creating new areas
- Sorting out old areas that came with tbaMUD, figuring out which ones we'll use
- Balancing monsters and items
- General admin stuff

If you're interested in joining me for this adventure, please visit the mud at gauntletmud.dyndns.org port 4000, or drop me an email at my spam box thebigasskicker (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Thanks.
01 Sep, 2012, Idealiad wrote in the 2nd comment:
Is there a particular kind of fantasy you're going for? Vampires and werewolves, Lord of the Rings, Greyhawk, Dark Sun, or…?

edit: OK, I found this thread, http://mudconnect.com/discuss/discuss.cg... . Would you say that thread still describes where you're coming from? You've changed to a stock base for one, so is this project a new directions for you?
02 Sep, 2012, Maddy wrote in the 3rd comment:
Hello,

thanks for the reply, and thanks for stopping by on my mud Idealiad.

For any potential builder: I am not set on any particular theme of fantasy. I am open for ideas in that regard.

As for my other project, the custom codebase, that project is temporarily on hold. I do plan to continue that at some point.
08 Sep, 2012, Maddy wrote in the 4th comment:
I have not found a Head Builder yet, so the position is still open. I will try to tell more about my plans and game mechanics to hopefully increase your interest in the game.

This is a Player Killing MUD, and everything is geared towards that. There is 50 levels, and at level 30 players get a KILLER flag which enables PK. They can also enable it manually at level 10 or later, if they choose to do so. What makes things interesting is that the game will have full looting of player's corpses. However, looting a corpse will give the player a THIEF flag. That will cause some trouble, as some NPCs will hate that player, and even attack him on sight ("cityguards" and the like).

Modified attribute system: There are only three attributes in the game: Strength, Agility and Intelligence. The scale of attributes is no longer 0 - 18. Players start with 10 in each attribute and they have no upper limit. Players gain 5 "attribute points" or "training points" as they level up. They can distribute them into the three attributes however they see fit, or optionally increase their health or action points (mana has been renamed to action points, as it's used for skills too).

Modified skill system: Players gain 1 skill point as they level up, which they can then distribute into any skill available to them. Skills will have a maximum level of 3, 5 or 10. Later on it will probably be worked into a "skill tree", and different skills will gain synergies from others.

Combat system: The combat system no longer uses damage dice, but just simple min/max values to create more variance. More armor is always better, and it no longer scales from 100 to -100 (find it very confusing when "less is more"). Calculations for "chance to hit" have been redone and "thac0" has been removed. Saving throws have been removed. Multiple attacks per round have been added.

Damage types: The game will have 5 damage types: Physical, Fire, Cold, Lightning, Poison. Damage type will be set individually for every weapon and damaging spell. Characters will have appropriate resistances to each damage type.

The coding for all of these systems is almost complete. After these "core game mechanics" are ready, the goal is to focus on balancing all of it, and creating a rough beta version which somewhat works. This initial version will feature only the 4 stock classes (though they can be renamed), no races and the stock spells plus a dozen or so new ones. After that's done completely new features can be coded in which expand the game further. I have plans for a crafting system as well as socketable items. New classes, races or skills can be added also at that point. Also a bounty system is being planned where a player can pay a bounty on some other player's head. A guild system will also be added at some point.

The game will also have a website which interacts directly with the MUD's files. In addition to showing online players and some more common stuff, it will feature lists of latest PlayerKills and any valuable items looted from player corpses. We will also have different rankings of players, and a feature to view a character sheet online (assuming it is not anonymous).

Now to the important thing: what is required of You, the Builder. For the initial (or beta) phase, only one custom area will be required. This will be the starting town, as I do not want to use Midgaard. 30 rooms or so should be enough. Then the plan is to go through all the stock zones (there's a lot of them), figure out which ones are suitable for our game, and start connecting those zones to the starting town. Then, lots of effort will go into balancing all the monsters and items of those stock zones, so they are suitable for the reworked game mechanics. Ideally you are a person who wants to play a PK mud also. :)

If you are interested, please come see me on the MUD, or drop me an email if I happen to be AFK.
11 Sep, 2012, arholly wrote in the 5th comment:
I tried connecting this morning and it would not let me. :(
11 Sep, 2012, Maddy wrote in the 6th comment:
arholly said:
I tried connecting this morning and it would not let me. :(

There was actually a bit of downtime this morning. I contacted the hosting provider where the VPS is hosted, and they assured me the problem is solved.

It is working now, if you want to try again. :)
0.0/6