18 Sep, 2012, dnicolai wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the map I put together for an Overland style game. Below are the maps of Nentir Vale from the 4th Edition of D&D and the overland map that I built for AFKMud's style of maps. I tried to get them as close to each other as I could.

As you might (or might not) be able to see, I put a nopass border around the forest to make it so that the roadways or special access points are the only ways in, I also set up the rivers so that they are passable while the lakes are noswim, but I set the islands to be accessable where I could.

There are a lot of open grassland areas, but I'm sure with a bit of work that I can fill those up, too or make it so that there are random encounters if you leave the road (or at least more). I also didn't build the cities, you probably can't see it but I did put a few white marks where the cities are located so that there is entry (two for Fallcrest) so that I can at least have the cities be accessable.

The game itself is enroute. I've got my server space and I'm working on Fellcrest right now, once that's done (upper and lower) I will work on a few starter encounter zones and then work on a temporary map to get around the game that follows the main roads and as time goes on I will add in the trails too. The overland map seen above won't go in until I get a coder who's up for the challenge of building the world behind the game, but that's not even something I'm looking for yet, I want to get a good 1-50 game in place first, then I will worry about the bells and whistles.
18 Sep, 2012, dnicolai wrote in the 2nd comment:
Oh, the map's dimensions are only 500x320. It's a small map, but there is a LOT of content in it.
18 Sep, 2012, Idealiad wrote in the 3rd comment:
I'm not familiar with AFK, does it read your map and convert pixel colors to terrain type?
18 Sep, 2012, dnicolai wrote in the 4th comment:
Yeah, it's a branch-off of SMAUG, but the reason it's not seen so often is it comes completely clean, so when you build it you have to build it from scratch. Just my style tbh, I generally don't like stock areas anyway. I probably need to roughen up the hill areas a bit, but for the most part I think that the map is close to being finished, just touch-ups here and there.
0.0/4