18 Feb, 2013, Tallas wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Look, I just lost my foot in Iraq, and had to retire out. SO long story short, I have a lot of time on my hands.

Looking for a really good coder to help me rebuild a great Dragonball Z Mud, one like that has not been seen since 2007! The good news is I will finance the whole project, getting a server and paying to advertise the game.

With the new DBZ movie and game coming out, a lot of people will have DBZ on the brain and the player base is bound to kick up. What do you say? Think you have what it takes to code a wonderful game (smaug) then email me kstor_98@yahoo.com

Tallas
18 Feb, 2013, Tyche wrote in the 2nd comment:
Tallas said:
Look, I just lost my foot in Iraq, and had to retire out. SO long story short, I have a lot of time on my hands.

http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.htm...
19 Feb, 2013, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 3rd comment:
Tyche's recomendation may seem harsh, but I think he makes a good point. Most of us taught ourselves
C while working full time jobs; little time on our hands. If you have money, use it to purchase some
books on C. "C For Dummies" was my first book ever, unlike other more in depth books, it makes no
assumptions about your existing knowledge.

SMAUG has a large community both here on MB and elsewhere. If you can learn the basics of C, which
doesn't take as long as you might think, you will be able to start tinkering with your SMAUG base.
By doing so, you will learn everything about it.

Imagine you pay one of us $300 to write you a custom battle routine. You launch your game and your
players enjoy it. One day, you realize that you need [BLANK] feature added? I don't know about you
but that would be upsetting to say the least.

I also think that before you bring up money, you should first catalog all the things that SMAUG does not
offer. Create a short list of features you need, and then present them to the community. Sometimes,
bored programmers might just add them for free. Or, they may know a patch \ snippet that worked for them
and may install it.

I think that its awesome that you want to MUD in your recovery time. I would probably do the same ;)
But, why not teach yourself how to fish?
19 Feb, 2013, Tallas wrote in the 4th comment:
JohnnyStarr,

I 100% agree with you. I ordered 2 books from Amazon a week ago, should actually be coming in today. I wouldn't mind finding a coder to coach me on what I am doing once I am done with the books. It would be annoying to have someone code it up now, and then a few months later I need to add something and not know what he did to begin with.

The issue will be FINDING that coach I think, but here's to wishing and hoping!
19 Feb, 2013, Vigud wrote in the 5th comment:
Try channel ##C (yes, double octothorpe) on Freenode. You'll need to have a registered nickname. There are some folks with great knowledge, almost always ready to answer your C questions. The only problem is that the channel can sometimes be really harsh if you're being lazy; for example, if you haven't read a single page of a good book on C, or you're not paying attention to hints they give you, or you're not willing to RTFM. At the end of the day, it's the best learning resource I know – if occasional mocking doesn't repel you.

Edit: most preferred way of teaching there seems to be by asking you questions that are meant to push you in the right direction instead of giving you immediate answers. It's tiresome and sometimes irritating, so brace yourself.
19 Feb, 2013, Tallas wrote in the 6th comment:
I logged on into the channel ##C and after about a minute it kicks me out. Not sure what is going on there.
This DBZ Based Mud is going to be the death of me!
19 Feb, 2013, Igabod wrote in the 7th comment:
Tallas said:

Looking for a really good coder to help me rebuild a great Dragonball Z Mud, one like that has not been seen.

Quote edited for better accuracy.
20 Feb, 2013, Idealiad wrote in the 8th comment:
Tallas said:
I logged on into the channel ##C and after about a minute it kicks me out. Not sure what is going on there.

Did you register a nick? That might be the problem.
20 Feb, 2013, Tallas wrote in the 9th comment:
Idealiad, I did. Vigud had me download Hexchat, and I was able to register and identify, and stay connected.
0.0/9