22 Oct, 2007, Ryanicus wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey Folks,

I'm quite satisfied with the slow, steady progress I've made since I got hosted by MCP last month but it gets lonely building on a mud with no playerbase. The concept of intermud has always intrigued me but there are so many different protocols which, if I understand correctly, are not cross-compatible. First, for AwakeMUD (circle derivative) which Intermud would be the easiest to set up and, supposing I got it working, is there a network to support it and other MUDS who actually use it? When I saw all these protocols I decided I need some advice. Cheers.

-R
22 Oct, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 2nd comment:
You can try out the IMC2 network by connecting to mudbytes.net port 2000 and following the instructions there. If you decide to proceed, I think the http://www.mudbytes.net/intermud section does have a circle compatible IMC client.
22 Oct, 2007, Cratylus wrote in the 3rd comment:
The other popular protocol I'm aware of is Intermud-3: http://lpmuds.net/intermud.html

-Crat
22 Oct, 2007, Guest wrote in the 4th comment:
As has already been mentioned, the two dominant protocols right now are IMC2 and Intermud-3. But I think we should also clarify what you mean by "intermud" since there have been people who take it to mean that you could walk from one mud to the other in a linked manner. The two protocols mentioned here are just chat protocols similar to IRC.
22 Oct, 2007, Ryanicus wrote in the 5th comment:
Thanks for the replies. Yes Samson, I was referring to chatting though walking from mud to mud would certainly blow my mind. :stare: I logged onto Talon and I have decied I will definitely try to implement this. I followed advice from some friendly folks on the network and got some source and instructions that I have begun to tinker with. I have, however, had a slight problem while logged onto Talon. The 'imcchanwho ichat all' works irregularly. Somtimes it outputs the list and other times it just gives me a prompt as though I have input a return. Thought I'd let you know.
28 Oct, 2007, Zenn wrote in the 6th comment:
Walking from MUD to MUD … hmm … I could see that. Have some sort of ooc lounge and be able to walk into it directly from the other mud's ooc lounge ..

Mmm.
28 Oct, 2007, Cratylus wrote in the 7th comment:
Zenn said:
Walking from MUD to MUD … hmm … I could see that. Have some sort of ooc lounge and be able to walk into it directly from the other mud's ooc lounge ..

Mmm.

I'm sure Tyche has already written that software.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
28 Oct, 2007, Conner wrote in the 8th comment:
No doubt, Crat.. :lol:
I know the idea's been tossed about over IMC many times over the years and it always gets shot down for one reason or another.
28 Oct, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 9th comment:
Cratylus said:
Zenn said:

Mmm.

I'm sure Tyche has already written that software.

No, but Marcus Ranum wrote distributed mudding into UnterMud in 1992 and Stephen White wrote an even better implementation into CoolMud in 1993. See - Cool Distributed Objects Doc
28 Oct, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
If all you're talking about is an OOC lounge, that could easily be implemented on top of the current IMC code. But if you want actual MUD-to-MUD walking where a character with objects and stats walks around, you'll have a more interesting time doing it…
29 Oct, 2007, Conner wrote in the 11th comment:
I think it's more about being able to literally walk from one mud to another.
29 Oct, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
I was referring to this comment:
Zenn said:

You could fake walking from MUD to MUD in this manner, and still feel like you were literally walking from one OOC lounge to another; your attributes/items would become decorations and not actually do anything. (Which is what I think you'd expect in an OOC chat lounge.) This could be implemented on top of the IMC code without too much trouble, I think. It's slightly unclear to me why you would want this in addition to having IMC channels, though.
29 Oct, 2007, Conner wrote in the 13th comment:
While I think that does sound kind of cool, I agree that it's a bit redundant unless you somehow restricted the imc channels to only work in that room.
29 Oct, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 14th comment:
imcmudsexomg
29 Oct, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 15th comment:
Wtf.. Where'd that one come from?
0.0/15