18 Jun, 2013, Kline wrote in the 41st comment:
Votes: 0
Rarva.Riendf said:
https://www.google.fr/search?q=dbz+mud+s...

I think it past google 10 seconds solution now. It is at the point where they look for someone doing everything in their place, including the google request.

The irony here is I was going to make a LMGTFY link and chime in "fix'd", but this thread is actually my top result when searching for "dbz mud snippet double exp". Thank you, Google (and NSA) for tracking my browsing habits so well to provide such a relevant top result!
18 Jun, 2013, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 42nd comment:
Well this thread is the first result but what was the first result just before was a link to mudbyte Davion double exp snippet :)
18 Jun, 2013, Tyche wrote in the 43rd comment:
Sadly Davion's snippet is for ROM and not DBZ Circle code.
So it would not work nor could it ever be altered in any shape way or form to work.
/sarcasm
19 Jun, 2013, Davion wrote in the 44th comment:
…I wrote a double exp snippet?

Side note, I'm doing some stuff to the webserver to prepare for Django integration this evening, so just copy your post before hitting reply, as it could fail if you submit in a moment when I've restarted the webserver. Wont be any downtime just 2-3 second in between reboots every hour or so. I'm done :)
19 Jun, 2013, Dean wrote in the 45th comment:
quixadhal said:
I suspect you're confusing Elitism with Mockery. Tyche answered the OP's question. We don't know if the OP understood that answer. Some people harped on how silly it is for anyone to run a MUD if they don't understand basic programming concepts, which is quite true. Some other people provided the obligitory mocking of the entire DragonballZ genre, which is well deserved and should be fully expected by anyone who's actually planning to run such a thing.

Then there's the thin skinned people who take offense at injuries they ASSUME the OP is feeling but not expressing.

Does that summarize the thread sufficiently?

@Bolded: It isn't well deserved, nor should they expect such a thing. A person should be treated like any other MUD owner until they give you pause to do otherwise, regardless of their intended theme.
19 Jun, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 46th comment:
*chuckle*

Well, perhaps your DBZ mud is the exception to the rule, Dean. When one tries a half dozen different kinds of "bread and butter" pickles, and each of those leaves a bad taste in their mouth, the natural conclusion is that "bread and butter" pickles are bad tasting.
19 Jun, 2013, Amun wrote in the 47th comment:
Lyanic said:
You also left out the part where one of the thin skins implied that we were all just like OP once. Then the part were I laughed at that ridiculous implication.

I didn't imply that everybody was like me, I simply stated that I remember well enough when I was in that position. Winter's pretty cold sometimes you should look for some thicker skin. (oh snap)

I wasn't trying to be overly defensive. I'm not offended or anything, I just think it's stupid to look down your nose at other people, and yeah, you guys were being pretty elitist, although I'm not surprised you don't see it because that's part of being an elitist. If you think everyone should be just like you expect them to be, how can you see anything wrong with being how you expect things to be?

Anyway - I think it's ignorant to outright deny the plausibility of quality in any genre in its entirety. While a large portion of DBZ muds are just stock CBs with dumbed down mechanics and sequentially repeating rooms with poor descriptions and a bunch of either apathetic or just clueless administrators, it's hardly logical to assume that every single one of them's got to be the same. I've been on a few that were actually well administrated and broke free from the standards set precedent by the ones that just happened to be the most popular or genre defining.

But I think it's a fair assumption to make when saying that someone who can't make a 1-line code change isn't going to put out something that'd make a work of art of the genre in a few sleepy days, either. So whatever.
19 Jun, 2013, darkozx wrote in the 48th comment:
And I thought Mudbytes was supposed to be a mature place to talk about MUDs. It seems I was wrong…it's high school bullying all over again.
19 Jun, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 49th comment:
You take that back, or this wedgie will make you taste elastic for a week!
19 Jun, 2013, Ssolvarain wrote in the 50th comment:
He'll also probably write "bread and pickles" on your waistband, which is sort of disturbing.
20 Jun, 2013, Dean wrote in the 51st comment:
quixadhal said:
*chuckle*

Well, perhaps your DBZ mud is the exception to the rule, Dean. When one tries a half dozen different kinds of "bread and butter" pickles, and each of those leaves a bad taste in their mouth, the natural conclusion is that "bread and butter" pickles are bad tasting.

Well, I like to think we are the exception to the rule. Whether history will judge us so kindly remains to be seen. :devil:
20 Jun, 2013, Chris Bailey wrote in the 52nd comment:
I think I played your MUD Dean. What is the connection info?
20 Jun, 2013, Tyche wrote in the 53rd comment:
darkozx said:
And I thought Mudbytes was supposed to be a mature place to talk about MUDs. It seems I was wrong…it's high school bullying all over again.

There can be only one!
20 Jun, 2013, Dean wrote in the 54th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
I think I played your MUD Dean. What is the connection info?

It resides in my signature, good sir.
21 Jun, 2013, Chris Bailey wrote in the 55th comment:
Was it there earlier? I must have missed it because you have it centered.
21 Jun, 2013, Dean wrote in the 56th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
Was it there earlier? I must have missed it because you have it centered.

It wasn't, no. I, ever the sneaky ninja, hid it there after your post.
21 Jun, 2013, Hades_Kane wrote in the 57th comment:
Most LARPers aren't what you see in the movie Role Models. Sit in on anything White Wolf based and you'll see a much more down to earth form of LARPing. Or really anything with a defined system with rules for resolving challenges and whatnot.

I also second (or third) the notion that no new MUD no matter the theme (so long as it is legal or within the confines of normal/acceptable behavior in society; basically a theme that wouldn't violate most user agreements for most hosting sites) has a "well deserved" reason to be bashed.

Wikipedia defined elitism:
Elitism is the belief or attitude that some individuals, who form an elitea select group of people with a certain ancestry, intrinsic quality or worth, higher intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributesare those whose influence or authority is greater than that of others; whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight; whose views or actions are most likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities, or wisdom render them especially fit to govern.

While that is a bit more specific toward society or governing as a whole… The attitude that has clearly been displayed here is an "us" (non DBZ Admins who know how to code) vs. "them" (dbz admins and/or people who don't know enough to write double exp). The DBZ theme has been devalued as having less intrinsic quality or worth than others, while those with less "specialized training" in having less ability to code are all somehow overall of less worth or value. The "mocking" that was somehow used as a defense against the charge of elitism is the tool or a symptom of the elitist attitude. The mocking is how the elitists are devaluing the DBZ MUDs or admins.

The people who were sent unsolicited offers to build are really the only people in this thread that had any justification for being mocking or condescending to this individual.

Do we really want this community to be one that shuns or runs off people if their MUD is a theme you don't like? Do we only want certain themes to be allowed to participate on this site?

Do we really want this community to be one that shuns or runs off code newbies that ask "stupid" questions? Do we only want experienced developers participating here?

I think these are serious questions that should be addressed, because this is exactly what many of the posters in this thread have been behaving like.

You aren't better than anyone because you've spent more time in front of a computer learning to program, and you certainly aren't any better because you take yourself too seriously to find worth in a theme aimed at children.

Sure, many DBZ based MUDs have a history of having a very immature and incompetent Admins with shoddy, buggy code, eye bleeding aesthetics and a cheating, immature playerbase… I don't deny that, but to completely devalue a new MUD or a new MUD Admin simply because they chose the DBZ theme is bullshit. Everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt until they give you a reason otherwise. Even then, we as a community shouldn't be circling around people like sharks waiting for them to mess up just so we can pounce and tear them apart. We should welcome these newcomers and help school them in the community-accpetable ways of doing business around here, and help shape them into respectable members of the community. We should exercise a little more restraint and patience when they mess up. This way, we don't just turn away these people and they continue as they already where, but we take these teaching opportunities and help the community grow.

Aside from the whole being a decent human being thing, the community can't afford this elitism, the bullying, the mocking and the ridicule, so that in of itself should be enough to encourage a little more restraint with newbies.

How many of you would be treating a newbie on your MUD asking "stupid" questions like this? Do you mock people who ask something they could learn by reading a helpfile? Or do most of you exercise a little more patience and try to explain things (or just ignore them) because you try not to run off new people or try not to leave a bad first impression? Don't you think that same level of tact would be warranted here? It might not be YOUR MUD, but it's YOUR community nevertheless, and each of us has a chance to either be something to welcome newcomers or run them off.
21 Jun, 2013, Rarva.Riendf wrote in the 58th comment:
Dunno if I should just wow in awe of such grandiloquence , or just laugh ou loud :)
22 Jun, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 59th comment:
TL;DR, LOL!
22 Jun, 2013, Ssolvarain wrote in the 60th comment:
You know rarva and quix don't understand complex ideas unless they're presented through analogy, HK. Silly of you to forget that.
40.0/73