03 Jul, 2013, LeMonseural wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey everyone I had a question about using Ruby for future reference. I use to play a game created by SoE called Infantry Online

Now before I vanished I was just playing with a few cosmetic things such as a score sheet listing health and other attributes, but to create this type of game a fight system will have to be created/modified to include the various elements such as armor, weapons, class, etc (As the current one is very basic, but a good example on how to create one)

Is it possible for Ruby to be used to create such a game or would I be better off starting with a different codebase. Im not really pressed for time on having a finished mud, more about learning and making it better. I also prefer something that isn't as bloated but also not stripped down to just sockets and connections as I am not experienced to write something from the ground up like that.
03 Jul, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 2nd comment:
CoralMUD might be a good codebase to look into.

Just remember, you'll have to decide… will you stick with crufty old TELNET and the limited control of the display that gives you? Or will you write a custom client, using curses for text, or using something else (HTML5? Java? Whatever.) for graphics?
04 Jul, 2013, LeMonseural wrote in the 3rd comment:
Actually I was looking at how KaVir had designed his GW2 game, with the MUSH Client plugins for the game to create somewhat of a graphical feel to it. Like I said though it'd be some year(s) before something like that would be completed on my end as my programming skills are no where near his.

With that being said, could that be a possible task with CoralMUD?
05 Jul, 2013, Runter wrote in the 4th comment:
coralmud isn't frontend, but for that matter, nothing ruby related really is. So it's not going to be related.

Having dealt with mushclient before for graphical stuff, I'll tell you it's absolutely terrible for anything but basic GUI. You only get access to the lowest level drawing functions, and it's very inefficient. Much better to do this with html5.

The backend server, whether it's ruby or some other language, isn't nearly as important.
06 Jul, 2013, LeMonseural wrote in the 5th comment:
Thank you both!
0.0/5