01 Aug, 2013, draxen wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hi Everyone,

For the last few months we've been working on creating a new MUD code base. The project is simply for fun and enjoyment and not for profit. Our tiny team is a bit lonely and so we thought we would look for some help :)

What is your MUD?
Our MUD has been built from scratch using Java. However, the look and feel is very similar to that of Circle MUD. So far only the code has been worked on and so there is currently no world and no theme. The over-arching design is to build a small but fun hack 'n slash multi-user game. If you are looking for an RP intensive MUD then you won't find it here. Sorry!

Why should I choose your MUD project?
There are many interesting MUD projects available and really the only thing we can offer that may sway your decision is our experience. Some of our team members are software professionals and they are used to managing/coding large projects. This means that (maybe) we have a slightly better chance of reaching a beta state than perhaps projects with less experienced admins. Progress also tends to move forward quite quickly as working in Java is somewhat faster than working in C.

What are you looking for?
Primarily we're looking for a web designer and/or graphical artist. Desired skills would be a passion for art/design and some experience with Photoshop (or other similar tool). We also have a lot of 'grunt work' to do such as writing helpfiles/creating social commands etc although those tasks are difficult and thankless jobs. I don't hold out much hope of finding anyone to volunteer :)

Where can we find you?
aridmud.com 4000
You can generally find us idling on the MUD. If you decide that you would like to contribute then we can arrange other more efficient communication (MSN, Yahoo Skype etc).

Further information:
Our MUD project is still in the early stages of development, so expect it to be a little rough around the edges. Everyone has access to (almost) every command, please feel free to log on and have a play around. The MUD resets to a default state upon every code change so don't worry about breaking anything.

Many thanks for reading.
Draxen (a.k.a. Fade)
aridmud.com 4000
05 Aug, 2013, rudeboyrave wrote in the 2nd comment:
It really does have a circlemud feel to it, which is nice because I have always felt the circlemud/tbamud codebase to be very clean. I cant wait for this to gain more ground, i always like the talk of a graphical mud. Keep it up fade!
05 Aug, 2013, draxen wrote in the 3rd comment:
rudeboyrave said:
It really does have a circlemud feel to it, which is nice because I have always felt the circlemud/tbamud codebase to be very clean. I cant wait for this to gain more ground, i always like the talk of a graphical mud. Keep it up fade!

Many thanks for your kind comments!
It's really appreciated :)
05 Aug, 2013, KaVir wrote in the 4th comment:
Most people start out with a stock codebase and then go to great lengths to try and make it look and feel different. I'm curious what your reason is for creating a mud from scratch with a CircleMUD look and feel - you've said it's "not for profit" so it's presumably not because of the licence.

What's the goal of Arid mud? What sort of game are you trying to create? What's the theme?
05 Aug, 2013, draxen wrote in the 5th comment:
Hi Kavir,

The reason Arid MUD has the look/feel of CircleMUD is simply because I'm used to coding/working within CircleMUD.
When it came to creating my own code base I just went with the look/feel that I was most comfortable with.

The end goal of Arid MUD is to be playable both as a normal MUD (text only) or through the website (basic 2D graphics).
The server has been designed with this in mind from the beginning. The plan is not to create a web based, MUD text client (phew, that's a mouthful) but rather a full, graphical, web based game that just happens to use a text MUD as a back end server. Players from both the telnet connection (text) and the website (graphics) are funneled into the same server and will hopefully be able to group up and play together. Graphically I envision it will look something like the tile-based rogue games. It'll all be pretty basic to begin with to be honest. The aim is to keep development within reasonable scope for a better chance at reaching a beta version.

At the moment we have no theme and no world. We're focused so much on the architecture that the game mechanics have taken a back seat.
This will probably be detrimental in the long run but we can only do so much with limited resources.

Many thanks for your interest!
Draxen (aka Fade)
06 Aug, 2013, plamzi wrote in the 6th comment:
draxen said:
The plan is not to create a web based, MUD text client (phew, that's a mouthful) but rather a full, graphical, web based game that just happens to use a text MUD as a back end server. Players from both the telnet connection (text) and the website (graphics) are funneled into the same server and will hopefully be able to group up and play together…

Seems like your project is very similar to one of mine, including the CircleMUD affinity. We need more projects like that around. Best of luck.
14 Aug, 2013, Glimblade wrote in the 7th comment:
Hi all. Just an update to let you know our project hasn't gone the way of so many (died). We're still chugging right along, and things are beginning to come together. We're nearing a point where the systems/architecture will be complete and we can start building the "game," which I'm looking forward to (as the balance/game design guy). Feel free to shoot me an email (markcromer at gmail) if you're curious about our direction, I love game design and could talk about it all day.
02 Oct, 2013, rudeboyrave wrote in the 8th comment:
*cheers* dont give up!
0.0/8