15 Aug, 2013, Zeno wrote in the 61st comment:
Votes: 0
I just noticed you mentioned Joomla is being used, fairly experienced with it. One tip is I would recommend turning on both SEF options, and not just the one.
15 Aug, 2013, plamzi wrote in the 62nd comment:
Zeno said:
I just noticed you mentioned Joomla is being used, fairly experienced with it. One tip is I would recommend turning on both SEF options, and not just the one.

I'm not sure which option you're referring to. Joomla 3.1 has 5 options listed under SEO Settings. Do you mean URL-rewriting?
15 Aug, 2013, Zeno wrote in the 63rd comment:
I'd have to check one of my Joomla sites to be sure, but it's the one that hides the index.php and likely involves the htaccess enable.
15 Aug, 2013, plamzi wrote in the 64th comment:
Zeno said:
I'd have to check one of my Joomla sites to be sure, but it's the one that hides the index.php and likely involves the htaccess enable.

That's URL rewriting. I've never been able to get that to work properly. At least not with the default .htaccess file. Tried just now for 5 min. and failed again. If you have any tips for me on why I might be getting "Forbidden Access", hit me up.
15 Aug, 2013, Lyanic wrote in the 65th comment:
Have you tried placing something like this in your .htaccess file?:

DirectoryIndex index.php

Probably so, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask…
16 Aug, 2013, plamzi wrote in the 66th comment:
Skol said:
Great stuff, thanks plamzi!
Any thoughts on MXP integration?

I used Ansalon to cobble together a quick MXP example. Check it out here: http://www.mudportal.com/index.php/play?...

By the by, we are now open for app customizations–the process is in place, although for now only the basic steps are documented.

For example, using just their browser, someone can extend the basic MXP module to support multi-select <SEND> tags.

Wink-wink, nudge-nudge, say no more!
16 Aug, 2013, draxen wrote in the 67th comment:
Looking good Planzi! :)
You're doing some cool stuff here.
16 Aug, 2013, plamzi wrote in the 68th comment:
draxen said:
Looking good Planzi! :)
You're doing some cool stuff here.

Thanks, all. This is going to be the death of the desktop MUD client. I'm serial. Hop on the wagon. You can tinker a lot just as a simple user, or contact me for SVN access to the back end code if you're feeling inspired.

If you can't devote any time, give the site a plug someplace that you frequent. Every bit helps!
16 Aug, 2013, Zeno wrote in the 69th comment:
I look forward to it. Have you considered a global chat on the site somewhere, so all MUD players can chat while on the site? Perhaps that chat box could even be i3 or IMC instead of a chat stored within your server. An example is like the chat on the bottom right of http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/
16 Aug, 2013, plamzi wrote in the 70th comment:
Zeno said:
I look forward to it. Have you considered a global chat on the site somewhere, so all MUD players can chat while on the site? Perhaps that chat box could even be i3 or IMC instead of a chat stored within your server. An example is like the chat on the bottom right of http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/

Sure. I'd prefer a custom-coded (very clean) chat box using i3 or IMC, not a 3rd party one like on the page you mentioned. If someone can share JS or PHP, or lend a hand, we could have this up by tomorrow :)
16 Aug, 2013, Lyanic wrote in the 71st comment:
plamzi said:
I'd prefer a custom-coded (very clean) chat box using i3 or IMC

I'd definitely go with i3, since it has users. You'll want to be careful about which channels you access. Though, a lot of it depends on your tolerance level for vulgarity, and what you want MUD Portal users exposed to.
16 Aug, 2013, plamzi wrote in the 72nd comment:
Well, whatever it is, it's not going to be on the homepage, and it's not going to auto-connect anyone. Those two being among the top 10 things I hate about any site :)

Thanks for the i3 plug. Does i3 come with code examples or documentation that can make things easier?
16 Aug, 2013, Scandum wrote in the 73rd comment:
plamzi said:
Thanks, all. This is going to be the death of the desktop MUD client. I'm serial. Hop on the wagon. You can tinker a lot just as a simple user, or contact me for SVN access to the back end code if you're feeling inspired.

You need to get the content creators to hop on your wagon, which can be extremely difficult.
16 Aug, 2013, KaVir wrote in the 74th comment:
Having some trouble with the MXP:

Which MXP features are supported? From looking at Ansalon it's clear that colour is working (but presumably not the named colours like I used in the GW2 screenshot above), clickable links seem to sometimes work (but often tend to bleed), there's apparently no VERSION tag, but negotiation itself does work. Is there a more detailed list showing exactly what's working?

Also, the letter 'a' looks very odd. Is that just the font?

You might also want to have your client identify itself by name, rather than just "XTERM", otherwise there'll be no way for mud owners to see how many people are using your client, which in turn will make it harder to collect feedback.

EDIT: And is there an easier way to scroll up the window? I can't seem to use the bar at the side, it just vanishes when I hover over it, and moving the hand up and down the screen is very slow work. Other than that it looks good.
16 Aug, 2013, plamzi wrote in the 75th comment:
KaVir said:
Having some trouble with the MXP

It's really basic right now (2-3 hrs of work), more of a POC than anything. You can actually see, edit, and improve the code once you login.

KaVir said:
You might also want to have your client identify itself by name, rather than just "XTERM", otherwise there'll be no way for mud owners to see how many people are using your client, which in turn will make it harder to collect feedback.

This will be a tricky business if what I'm hoping for comes true–i. e. lots of people working on customizing the app differently. I'm planning to set a sensible default and let people override it as needed. For example, a trusted developer for a game may want to pass something specific back to his/her game.

Admins will always be able to identify the portal by IP / DNS, even if a particular iteration of the web app overrides all my default info.

KaVir said:
EDIT: And is there an easier way to scroll up the window? I can't seem to use the bar at the side, it just vanishes when I hover over it, and moving the hand up and down the screen is very slow work. Other than that it looks good.

If you want to scroll fast, did you try scrolling it like a touch screen (acceleration-like)?
16 Aug, 2013, Tijer wrote in the 76th comment:
mxp is messing up on my mud… my autoexits are messing up…. and merging with my prompt!!
17 Aug, 2013, plamzi wrote in the 77th comment:
Scandum said:
plamzi said:

You need to get the content creators to hop on your wagon, which can be extremely difficult.

Actually, I'm aiming at the coders and tinkerers first, since I don't believe we need another content-oriented MUD site. I'm hoping that once game devs recognize the full promo potential of the site and the technical potential of the web app, they will start customizing actively for their games. I'll be releasing core modules and documenting in the meantime.

Speaking of promo potential, today I registered http://www.cloudgamer.org and will promote the portal under that name, as well. I'm hoping that in a year or so we can offer a gaming experience that is really modern, streamlined, and appeals to a wider audience.

Tijer said:
mxp is messing up on my mud… my autoexits are messing up…. and merging with my prompt!!

'tis fixt.
17 Aug, 2013, arholly wrote in the 78th comment:
Hi:
Are you looking for people who have existing and running muds or will people who are just starting mud's be able to create links and develop apps? If so, I might go back to developing my old mud since it looks like it might become a good tool to help promote.
17 Aug, 2013, quixadhal wrote in the 79th comment:
I've considered making an I3 chatbox for a while, and it's not super hard if you can have a server process running and connected, and then have your chatbox interface to it. However, you will need a way to verify the identity of users on it (IE: ensure people can't just pick a username and spew), and/or restrict what channels they can speak on. The most commonly used channels have some restrictions to keep them civil (dchat), or at least free of hate speech (intergossip). Others are free-for-all, or specific to whomever created them.

If you want ugly C code that mostly works, WileyMUDhas I3 code that was borrowed from an *OLD* version of AFKMUD, updated to work with 2013 compilers. If you want a cleaner implementation in LPC, grab a copy of the DGD gamedriver and the Gurba mudlib, and see how that works.

I was going to link to the spec, but the site I know it's on (lpmuds.net) seems to be unhappy… so, I'll do so later. :)

If you want a log of what such things look like, this works.
17 Aug, 2013, plamzi wrote in the 80th comment:
arholly said:
Hi:
Are you looking for people who have existing and running muds or will people who are just starting mud's be able to create links and develop apps? If so, I might go back to developing my old mud since it looks like it might become a good tool to help promote.

A game doesn't have to be listed for you to be able to customize the app for it. It's pretty simple: you use URL parameters to point the app to any server and port, and add '&dev=1'. To include your scripts on the page, they just have to be meta-tagged with the same server name and port and placed in the "App Code" category. It's really quite simple to get going, and this is only one week into the life of the website :)

quixadhal said:
I've considered making an I3 chatbox for a while, and it's not super hard if you can have a server process running and connected, and then have your chatbox interface to it.

I was going to link to the spec, but the site I know it's on (lpmuds.net) seems to be unhappy… so, I'll do so later. :)

I might have to wait for the specs link. My use case is probably going to be quite different than a MUD written in C. Most likely, I'll want to leverage the proxy server to do double duty.
60.0/279