19 Aug, 2013, donky wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hi,

Yesterday, I spent a reasonable amount of time looking for old mudding related mailing lists. After finding the links, I'd go to their primarily mailman-based pages in the Internet Archive, and look at their archives. Almost all of them lacked accessible archives. About the only one I found archives for, was the Lima Bean mudlib, and even then it was their later years.

Now back when I was trying to piece together the MUD-Dev mailing list, Davion offered a dump of his inbox. And so we now have a pretty complete archive of the MUD-Dev mailing list.

So the requests start here:
  • Do you know of old MUD mailing lists, including old now not working links, which the Internet Archive can be trawled for?

• Do you have mailboxes full of emails from old MUD mailing lists, that you can extract and offer?

• Does anyone know George Reese and can ask him for the imaginary.com mailman archives?

I've placed backups of the DGD list (still active) and MUD-Dev2 on my web site.

Here's the lists I spent time looking over:

Are there any other things that can be backed up? The newsgroups are out, Google has them stripped down to be barely searchable, and it's all ajax/javascript driven.
20 Aug, 2013, Tyche wrote in the 2nd comment:
At least a partial archive of the ROM mailing list can be found here:
http://blog.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=g...
20 Aug, 2013, donky wrote in the 3rd comment:
Ah, an excellent pointer. I'll see if I can find a way to extract it. It's also available here as pointed to by gmane.

Ah again, Robert is your father's brother, here we go: getting an mbox file.
20 Aug, 2013, Tyche wrote in the 4th comment:
donky said:
The newsgroups are out, Google has them stripped down to be barely searchable, and it's all ajax/javascript driven.

Yeah, Google's "ownership" of usenet archives has pissed me off.
Google has repeatedly kicked me off browsing the archives because it thinks I'm a bot, because I apparently click and browse too fast.
Prior to that, I had thought of programming a web reader to extract them, but I suspect it might have to run a year or so to build.
21 Aug, 2013, donky wrote in the 5th comment:
Does anyone know someone with Google contacts we could talk to, to get copies - or at least inquire? I know Greg Stein used to work there, but no longer does. Anyone know him to ask?
21 Aug, 2013, Scandum wrote in the 6th comment:
It might be possible to create a special google search that only targets the MUD related usenet groups?
21 Aug, 2013, donky wrote in the 7th comment:
Sure, but what if you want to walk through the posts made at a given time, without knowing what was posted to search for?
21 Aug, 2013, KaVir wrote in the 8th comment:
You could also look through Yahoo Groups. They don't seem to be used much for muds these days, but they were used in the past, and the archives are still available. I used to have one for Last City, and still belong to another for GodWars Apocalypse. Neither have many posts, but there may be other groups that do.
0.0/8