08 Nov, 2007, basil wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I have a Mordor Mud and have guys logging in from a network. When they use Telnet (that's ALL they cab use), they don't get any local echo, so they can't see what they are typing.

Is there a configuration or command with Mordor to produce echo?

Or, can anyone suggest a work around?

Cheers
08 Nov, 2007, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
You can turn local echo on in telnet; I don't remember the exact command, though. It's something like "set echo on". (You might have to enter the escape character first.)
08 Nov, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 3rd comment:
The default for both Linux and Windows telnet is local echo on. I'm betting Mordor, like Diku, turns local echo off when prompting for the password, and then back on again. Windows Telnet has a bug where you can negotiate local echo off but it then ignores negotiation to turn it back on again. One solution is what David suggested, have them hit CTL+] and type "set echo on" after they get logged on. Another solution is to alter Mordor so it doesn't send IAC WILL ECHO during the password prompt for all clients, or for just Windows Telnet (one can detect Windows Telnet by querying the terminal type).
08 Nov, 2007, basil wrote in the 4th comment:
Thanks for you help. Fixing the code within Mordor seems an easier way in this instance.

Which of the files do I need to edit - someone advised me to look for the main file, but what is the main file. There seem to be hundreds of C type files. All help welcome - I'm a noob as you will have gathered.

Cheers
08 Nov, 2007, Tyche wrote in the 5th comment:
Don't know. I'd recommend learning to use the grep utility to search through the code.

In this case…
grep IAC **/*.h **/*.c
might find where the telnet commands are sent

In the case of finding the main() routine per your other question…
grep main **/*.h **/*.c

Grep is your fiend.
0.0/5