02 Sep, 2013, Amore wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hi,

So As I make clear in every post I make, I am a newbie to all this. However Up till now I have been using an account a friend made for me in order to practice basic building in Genesis. However I finally have my own domain with SSH so I am trying to install my own to work with. I downloaded Genesis-1.1.12-stable from this site and after a bit of work got it on my server and rand the 'make install' after a few seconds of file processing it suddenly halts with the following error….

Unable to figure out what library to ling to get db support make: *** [config] Error 1

Every link in the readme files included leads to dead sites so there seems to be nowhere else I can turn to for assistance.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
03 Sep, 2013, Tyche wrote in the 2nd comment:
Something like this?
Checking for -lgdbm… no
Checking for -lgdbm_compat… no
Checking for -lndbm… no
Checking for -ldb… no
Unable to figure out what library to ling to get db support
Makefile:24: recipe for target `config' failed
make: *** [config] Error 1

If so, you need to either install gdbm, ndbm or dbm on the host, or find out where they are installed
and what name they are installed under.
While the various dbm libraries are usually installed somewhere on the various Linuxes,
where and how they are named tends to vary widely between Linuxes.
03 Sep, 2013, Amore wrote in the 3rd comment:
yep that would be exactly whats happening. :)
03 Sep, 2013, Amore wrote in the 4th comment:
ok so I downloaded gdbm1.10 and I've gone through nearly every config parm it has in the read me, and I am still recieving the same message when I try to make install genesis! :cry:
03 Sep, 2013, Tyche wrote in the 5th comment:
You need to run a query for whatever package manager you have on whatever linux you are running to find out if gdbm or ndbm or dbm development libraries are installed.
It might be apt, yum, rpm, whatever, I don't know what Linux, BSD, Solaris or whatever distribution you are running. Better to ask the owner of the machine to do it, because you probably don't have permissions.
Finding out the location and name of the link library is all you need to do.
I don't know that locally installing into your home directories is useful, nor do I think I could give you a tweak to the configure script to support it.
I can give you tweak to configure to recognize the name of the link library if you know it.
03 Sep, 2013, Amore wrote in the 6th comment:
That would be great! Thank you for your help, I can contact the Admins tomorrow and find out the name, I should have the permissions tho, so your tweak would be very helpful. Thank you very much! :biggrin:
03 Sep, 2013, Tyche wrote in the 7th comment:
Oh! There is a bug in 'configure' script in the version you downloaded.
Here's a fix.

— configure.old       2013-09-03 01:32:13.456187500 -0400
+++ configure 2013-09-03 01:24:57.511851500 -0400
@@ -2214,7 +2214,7 @@ if test -z "$db_header_to_use"; then
echo " Unable to figure out what header to include to get db support" 1>&6
exit 1
else
- echo " Using… <$ac_hdr>" 1>&6
+ echo " Using… <$db_header_to_use>" 1>&6
cat >> confdefs.h <<EOF
#define DBM_H_FILE <$db_header_to_use>
EOF
@@ -2272,7 +2272,7 @@ for ac_lib in gdbm gdbm_compat ndbm db;
#include <$db_header_to_use>
int main() { return 0; }
int t() {
-dbm_open(NULL, NULL, NULL)
+dbm_open(0, 0, 0)
; return 0; }
EOF
if eval $ac_link; then

BTW, the 'configure' script in the Windows version has the fix in it, although Windows don't use it.
03 Sep, 2013, Amore wrote in the 8th comment:
That did the trick! Compiled just fine now, THANKS! :smile:
0.0/8