06 Nov, 2013, Lekdro wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hello!

I recently took it upon myself to fund a mud that I played some 15 years ago. The original programmer of the mud agreed to bring it back, the only problem is he doesn't know very much about getting the server up and running. Since this game is very near and dear to my heart, I want to do everything I possibly can to get it back up and running. The only problem is, I have no clue where to start. Most of the people that knew their way around a linux shell (Lingo I don't understand myself) are too busy to help get things rolling.

From what I'm told, the game is pretty much intact and is sitting pretty on a disk waiting for someone to work it's magic on it. I've already researched a VPS that I will be using, and I do have a laptop that is running linux mint (If that is even necessary.) I'm not asking for someone to give me step by step directions. But if anyone has some helpful links to share, I would be very grateful. The game is based of DikuMud and Rom that has been highly customized.

Thank you in advance for any help!
06 Nov, 2013, KaVir wrote in the 2nd comment:
Lekdro said:
The original programmer of the mud agreed to bring it back, the only problem is he doesn't know very much about getting the server up and running.

He programmed a mud, but doesn't know how to start it up?

Unzip the source code (tar xvfz filename.tgz), compile it (type "make" in the src directory), then run the startup script (eg "./startup &").
06 Nov, 2013, Lekdro wrote in the 3rd comment:
As odd as it sounds, yes.

It was a group of three guys that started the mud. One worked well with the shell aspect, one was a builder. The last was the programmer.

Thank you KaVir.
0.0/3